• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Props to RadiatorBarn

i had a similar prob with the strap cut it out no prob and i prob need motor mounts but easier to get rid of strap original rad didnt have one as i recall

1985xjlaredo said:
Good to hear that a company still takes good care of there customers. Some one should send a link of this post to them so they can see what a good example it is to do right for the consumer!

I replied back to Rob and let him know i left good feed back here and at JF. In his reply he was very thankful and said that is the best advertising they can get.

I ordered the 3 row, any idea how long it takes them to ship?

IslanderOffRoad said:
I ordered the 3 row, any idea how long it takes them to ship?

Depends on where they have a shipping center. I live in SoCal, ordered early in the morning, got mine the next day!

I ordered the 2 core. Mine's a basically stock 2wd that's more Dad's taxi than anything else. Didn't seem to warrant the extra expense of the 3 core. Despite the recent heat wave here, it's working great.

pauldo39 said:
I think you may be referring to radiator.com, where you have to go through the so called "online chat with a service rep". Radiatorbarn takes you straight to two options, all metal 2 or 3 row.

I agree with what you're saying; when I was looking for radiators I went to radiators.com and the whole chat thing just turned me away.

I am referring to about 5 different online radiator places I tried, and I am 99% sure radiator barn was 1 of them.

This has been several years ago tho.

Most currently, I just print out the quote, and take it to autozone, and they price match it.

In response to your e-mail- several things come to mind here for me- generally speaking-

I don't know which brand of radiator that is. There are certainly more than 1 brand of 3 row out there. I like the CSF rads best so far, and their 3 row definitely outcools their 2 row. Another companies 2 row might be their best, but it depends on a number of variables.

I've never seen that band bow out under the compression of installation. If one actually did, I'd think THAT particular radiator was obviously not right. If that were the case, good for them to warranty it. Very much NOT something you see happening out there though.

These things happening are usually attributable to bad motor mounts and/or the wrong fan clutch. Many people don't know or notice that a lot of the aftermarket fan clutches sit a good deal farther forward than the factory unit does.
If you combine a fan clutch that sits closer to the radiator (bad idea) with a thicker hi-cap radiator (good idea) and maybe toss in some worn motor mounts as well, (bad idea) you can easily have radiator damage.

I've NEVER seen a thicker radiator damaged when the motor mounts are good and the fan clutch isn't too tall. There's simply a minimum amount of space you'll wanna see between any radiator and fan clutch to be safe.
My factory motor mounts on my first '97 XJ failed at around 50k miles!
They were only about 3 years old.
I've been running MORE bombproof mounts ever since.

Of course, (off subject a little) NEVER, NEVER mount anything to the radiator via strips that mount through the radiator fins!!!

Just some food for thought...:wave:

TRCM said:
Most currently, I just print out the quote, and take it to autozone, and they price match it.
Maybe I'm confused here.
Autozone can't even get CSF radiators, so how could they price match?
You show them a quote for a high quality, all metal, lifetime warranty, 3 row and they sell you a low quality, plastic tanked, 6 month warranty, stock replacement for the price of better radiator?:roll:

Hale

I ordered monday night, and it will be here tomorrow.

Considering the holiday, thats impressive!

pauldo39 said:
I think you may be referring to radiator.com, where you have to go through the so called "online chat with a service rep". Radiatorbarn takes you straight to two options, all metal 2 or 3 row.

I agree with what you're saying; when I was looking for radiators I went to radiators.com and the whole chat thing just turned me away.

Yeah, radiators.com basically just takes a message and one of their affiliates calls you back. It was some local shop in NY that called back. The so called "all-metal" radiator turned out to have plastic tanks that leaked within 2 weeks. I had to have a lawyer friend call to get them to send a replacement. After sending the old one back, they have the nerve to try and bill me $35 for shipping the replacement. I ignored the invoice and the never called back. Avoide radiator.com.

Now Radiatorbarn.com is really great. I ordered their all-metal radiator online and it showed up in 2-days and bolted right in.

DPG said:
In response to your e-mail- several things come to mind here for me- generally speaking-

I don't know which brand of radiator that is. There are certainly more than 1 brand of 3 row out there. I like the CSF rads best so far, and their 3 row definitely outcools their 2 row. Another companies 2 row might be their best, but it depends on a number of variables.

I've never seen that band bow out under the compression of installation. If one actually did, I'd think THAT particular radiator was obviously not right. If that were the case, good for them to warranty it. Very much NOT something you see happening out there though.

These things happening are usually attributable to bad motor mounts and/or the wrong fan clutch. Many people don't know or notice that a lot of the aftermarket fan clutches sit a good deal farther forward than the factory unit does.
If you combine a fan clutch that sits closer to the radiator (bad idea) with a thicker hi-cap radiator (good idea) and maybe toss in some worn motor mounts as well, (bad idea) you can easily have radiator damage.

I've NEVER seen a thicker radiator damaged when the motor mounts are good and the fan clutch isn't too tall. There's simply a minimum amount of space you'll wanna see between any radiator and fan clutch to be safe.
My factory motor mounts on my first '97 XJ failed at around 50k miles!
They were only about 3 years old.
I've been running MORE bombproof mounts ever since.

Of course, (off subject a little) NEVER, NEVER mount anything to the radiator via strips that mount through the radiator fins!!!

Just some food for thought...:wave:

Dirk, they do sell the CSF. I got the 3 row. As i already stated the motor mounts are about 2 months old so i know that isn't the issue. You brought up an excellent point on the Clutch Fan though. After the incident i pulled my old fan clutch out and mesured just to be sure. The new fan clutch from NAPA was around 1/4" longer. One of the tabs on the clutch caught the band and threw it sidewayz into the radiator.

Radiator barn was really close to deniing my warranty but the fact that i've had it 2 months and never gone over 40 mph may have weighed on their mind.

How would you have handled the situation?

Well, there are some minimums to watch for.
New factory motor mounts certainly won't let the engine flop, but if you see how much rubber is there, they can certainly allow some movement.
Obviously, if it those components were not touching until torque was applied, the motor mounts HAD to allow enough movement for that to happen.

That, combined with a thicker radiator and a taller fan clutch makes me nervous as there just isn't as much room between the fan clucth and radiator as I'd like to see- Especially as off-roaders, since we apply a lot more torque to those mounts than the everyday soccer mom does.

Generally, a damaged radiator is the customers responsibility, as it obviously wasn't a manufacturers defect.
I've never seen a fan clutch hit the radiator if the clutch was mopar and the motor mounts were good.
I'd wanna see some pretty strong evidence to the contrary to get it warranteed, but if I saw that strap bowed out 1.5" on the installed radiator, that would be some good ammunition to support a warranty claim.

Hopefully, a customer who had that band bowed out 1.5" on a freshly installed radiator would take a pic and call! That would definitely be out of the ordinary.

This sounds like a good case once again for a better motor mount like the MORE Bombproofs.

lbsnowryder said:
Dirk, they do sell the CSF. I got the 3 row. As i already stated the motor mounts are about 2 months old so i know that isn't the issue. You brought up an excellent point on the Clutch Fan though. After the incident i pulled my old fan clutch out and mesured just to be sure. The new fan clutch from NAPA was around 1/4" longer. One of the tabs on the clutch caught the band and threw it sidewayz into the radiator.

Radiator barn was really close to deniing my warranty but the fact that i've had it 2 months and never gone over 40 mph may have weighed on their mind.

How would you have handled the situation?

Yeah, the OEM clutches don't have the thermal tabs. Mine caught the support wire too, but my driver's side motor mount is kaput.....

Seems to be about 3/4" longer than the OEM clutch.

It's a stupid Hayden/Imperial clutch. The thermal tabs get sheered off when they collide.

I figure I should ask this quick; do the fan clutches from the 97+ fit in a 94? I have a new 3 row CSF radiator on order and a Hayden clutch and all this talk is making me really nervous. If the 97+ does fit (I saw a new one complete with blades on ebay for 30 bucks) I think I will do that, as the last thing I want is a lousy collision.

Quick question for the threadstarter

when you say they sent you a replacement in 3 days, is that 3 days from when you called in, or 3 days from when they recieved your defective rad?

The one I got from them had a bent flange on the radiator filler/cap mount, and it leaks from the radiator cap. I need to send it back to get replaced, wondering what the time table is as I'd like to wheel it next weekend.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Quick question for the threadstarter

when you say they sent you a replacement in 3 days, is that 3 days from when you called in, or 3 days from when they recieved your defective rad?

The one I got from them had a bent flange on the radiator filler/cap mount, and it leaks from the radiator cap. I need to send it back to get replaced, wondering what the time table is as I'd like to wheel it next weekend.

I sent pictures in to them and they did a "sight scrap" so i never sent my old radiator back to them. So it was 3 days from talking to them and some emails back and forth.

Back