• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Tech Snob

All the spider gears removed but the piston still intact. To remove the piston, you simply give a slight twist (it locks into the sliding gear).

ARB07.jpg

All the spider guts layed out on the table. The one in the top corner is the gear that engages to the case (to create the spool).

ARB08.jpg

All the parts layed out.

ARB09.jpg

Replace all the parts that need changing (whether worn or preventative maintenance) and then reassemble as you go.

Starting the reassembly at this point .... the springs are in the bare case.

ARB10.jpg

Two side spiders installed. These use short shafts that partially engage into a center block. The block is not installed in this picture. The other 2 spiders use a full length shaft and everything ends up locking into place via dowels.

ARB11.jpg

Use fresh lube and coat all washer surfaces (like the spider washers, thrust washers, etc) and coat the sliding surfaces for the piston & U-washer. It is also a good idea to put a light coat on the spider gear shafts. The rest of the assembly can be installed dry for now and will be lubricated after I fill the housing with oil.

ARB12.jpg

And that's a wrap .... new cap bolts installed. Just need to tap the locking tabs home. Obviously, I need to install the other half, but that will come when I install the ring gear back on.

And there you have it ... a quick recap of how to rebuild an ARB. The new units are very similar inside that you can use this pictoral as a guide, if need be.

nice! thats some good info

Hey congrats on the blue name! When are you gonna get a store up and running so we can all drool some more :greensmok

Very cool build! One of my favorites on here.

Sherman ... i'm working on it ... trying to get the undercarriage progressing. Turning out to be more of an issue than I thought. :shocked:

For now ... I'm satisfied just helping out where i can (posts & all) and I will worry about pimping myself out a little later. Start slow :)

As a reminder ..... I have been stripping the POR & Speedliner off my underchassis.

The next bunches of pictures reflect earlier work done (as noted by the grey bedliner finish). I am further along and about ready to start painting. No ... it did not take me that long to strip everything --- I took the opportunity to make some changes and I've also been busy with non-personal stuff.

Way back when ... I took the time to tear into my transmission. The AX-15 had about 50K since a friend rebuilt it years ago. I was also given a spare AX-15 for backup duty. My internals were all in tip top shape except for the reverse gear and synchro. While still very usable ... these parts were in slightly better shape on the extra transmission. The rest of my parts/pieces were in better shape overall (compared to the spare). So I just swapped these specifc parts reassembled both trannies.

Cleaned, dried, and reassembled

200.jpg

Case halves bolted together again. Yes .. it's been blasted clean.

201.jpg

Painted up !

202.jpg

Kinda like looking down Mount St. Helens :confused1

203.jpg

Bolted back to the engine (only to come down again because I had to scrap all that junk off). :cry:

204.jpg

If you can remember .... I built the exhaust and said I was having it coated.

Prior to sending it out ... I did a quick test install for fitment purposes. Mainly to verify that the Borla header interferes with the 99+ manifold. And it does. :tears: Got out the torch and slowly heated the tube in the offending area. Once it was hot/red enough ... I proceeded to flatten and widen the tubes. So instead of a 1 5/8 round tube ... it's now 1 1/2 by 1 3/4 oval tubing.

Had the header and downpipe coated --- inside & out. Also got a good deal on having the outside of the manifold coated (for heat protection). Mainly because of the super close fit on the #5 runner and the intake -- see above for what I'm talking about.

Header installed after coming back from coating.

205.jpg

Intake manifold bolted in

206.jpg

Ford Injectors (24 lb/hr) and an ugly throttle body

207.jpg

Engine & assessories

208.jpg

Couple of things worth noting.

* Haven't upgraded to the silcon bronze bolts yet. That's soon.
* Used REMFlex gasket. Supposed to be the shiznit. We'll see
* I'll have pics of the alternator and the clearancing I needed for fitting at a later date. Patience
* I did a bunch of clearancing on the 'stat housing for "high flow" purposes. Nothing spectacular ... but rounded edges disrupt less than sharp ones.

Couldn't at least wire brush and paint that throttle body? It looks... so... out of place :laugh3:

I was wondering what happened with the long delay between updates. Love the build. Sucks to hear about having to strip the undercoating off, but still, absolutely awesome work. :thumbup:

I just realized that I haven't posted a picture of my low clearance trans mount. It sits about 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch lower than the OE mount. Mainly because it tucks under the transmission itself, rather than sitting more directly under the t-case (like the OE mount).

Construction was fairly simple. Mark & drill the bolt pattern. Grab some leftover Brown Dog poly bushings (customer switched to rubber) and cut some scrap DOM that fit said bushings. Butt welded the tube and plate and made sure it fit without interference. Once that was done, I cut out 5 contoured plates. 2 for the top side, 3 for the bottom sides. They basically tie the tubing/plate better than the butt weld alone.

Only one picture at the moment ... will take a better one later.

209.jpg

As I've said in the past ... I wanted a removable center piece for my crossmember. Mainly to facilitate with transmission removal in the event of clutch/pilot/throwout issues. Because of the location of my UCA mount ... it ended up being on the removable portion. :doh: The obvious solution was to brace it up.

How, was the question. After some thought ... I decided on a removable sub-frame with a removable "strut" to further stiffen the assembly. The actual sub-frame is an "H" shape that ties the front & rear crossmembers to each other. Tabs were welded to the back of the UCA mount and to H Frame. Another piece of tubing ties the tabs to stop torque induced motion (from the 3 link UCA). A skid plate will also be made that will tie all 3 pieces of the front crossmember to each other and the subframe and the rear crossmember.

Tabs with a spacer made to reflect the 2x2 tubing.

210.jpg

Showing both crossmembers (minus the middle piece) and some of the tabs.

211.jpg

One of the legs of the subframe. Take note of the slight bend in the piece. This is because of the "rise" in the frame rails. The rear crossmember sits roughly 5/8 higher than the front crossmember.

212.jpg

And finally .... a rough shot of the subframe with the torque mount and tabs on the back of the UCA.

213.jpg

Last edited:
Just read your entire thread. I have learned two things: Awsome rig & F*** POR-15
Cant wait to see it finished and wheeling.

Just read your entire thread. I have learned two things: Awsome rig & F*** POR-15
Cant wait to see it finished and wheeling.

Good lord, how long did that take?

please continue to blow my mind. this is like a brand new XJ only way way better. I only have one question: why would you move from CO to PA???

I only have one question: why would you move from CO to PA???

Sheer stupidity. :gee:

Actually ... the job market there wasn't the best at the time I was living there. Better opportunities in my wife's field back here (she's from Mtn Top, PA).

Believe me ... I'm going back there at some point. By hook or by crook. Maybe NAXJA can spread the word .... help my business grow ... and then I can move back West.

Joe

(1) NP203 + (1) D300 + (1) steel adapter assembly = Hell of a lot of weight. :shocked:

The 203 weighs roughly 60 lbs. The 300 weighs rougly 60 lbs as well. And I think the adapter comes in around 20-25.

Despite the sturdy trans mount I made .... more support is needed to control the leverage/weight and the torque (mainly in Low-Low).

Took the remaining two poly bushings from the Brown Dog swap and made another mount. Tim @ BrownDog was kind enough to make me 2 extra long sleeves (for each mount). :kissyou: This time, I made the DOM fit through the tab itself and then welded the asembly to the H frame I built. And of course ... 2 tabs hang off 203/300 adapter complete the mounts.

Cardstock Template, Unifinished tab, Finished tab

214.jpg

Welded up and bushings installed

215.jpg

216.jpg

Bolted in place. The middle crossmember piece is reinstalled as well (you can just see the first mount)

217.jpg

Your welding is... art. I hope I'm that good someday.

This thing is ridiculous Joe. I like to think I have a decent amount of attention to detail, then I read threads like this...

Kudos man.

~ James

Back