• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Second Chance

U-joints?

Re: Re: Project Second Chance

What do you mean by knock? Like when turning? I'd be looking at track bar holes and the frame track bar mount bending

Mostly on bumps. And if I have to hit the brakes really hard.

Still chasing down this noise. I'm thinking more and more it's the control arms. Haven't had any time to work on it cuz a friend was on leave for a week from the navy so I spent as much time with him as I could. And on Tuesday I started my new job with Associated Traffic Saftey. Love it so far. In the last 3 days I've put in 40 hours. A whole bunch of over time and double time. It's hard work but I like it.

I did order a go-fer-it tie rod flip that showed up yesterday so I'll probably do that this weekend.

Been outta town all week for work. I come home for the weekend, and go back again next week so work will be minimal on the jeep :/ holefully this weekend I can get that tie rod flip done. In the mean time here is a cool pic my buddy took from the riverbed a few weeks ago.

Did the go-fer-it tie rod flip yesterday. Gained about 2" of tie rod clearance and the geometry looks so much better. Definitely worth the hour or so it took and $15

Looking good! Goferit is a great mod

Yeah especially for the money, and how easy it is to do. I decided I'm gunna leave the steering how it is for now. That IRO HD tie rod is pretty strong. Just gunna replace all the TRE's. I don't see the point in building steering right now, since I plan on going one tons soon.

Finally did a little bit of work on the jeep today. I helped Jeremy (JohnnieWalker) put longer shackles on his MJ and he gave me the stock shackles, which are a little longer than XJ shackles. Just long enough so I can get my shackle angle better than it is right now. Also put a "new" bushing on one of the leaf springs that was clapped out.
Stock shackles and terrible angle

MJ shackles and much better angle. Almost a perfect 45 degrees

And old clapped out bushing

sweet I just got some mj shackles as well that im going to be putting on soon.
looks good.

Yeah they worked out great since I didn't want much more lift after the shackle relocators but needed a longer one for the right angle

So kinda sorta update. Made a deal with NorCalChris for his rear d44. Trussed w/pinion skid, 4.88 gears, no shock tabs hahaha. I'll be picking that up some time after the T4T run.

Yesterday I finally installed my Aussoe locker.
Here is the front axle all disassembled

And the Aussie all snuggled up in the carrier

I also put a lube locker in while I had the cover off.
Thanks to JohnnieWalker for the help

Man that tail light came out good!!

It's actually my new Flux capacitor hahaha
Only trouble will be getting it up to 88mph

I'll just cut the brakes and roll downhill

Man I haven't been on here in a while. Not much has changed on the jeep as I have almost no time to wrench or wheel it since because of work. Been working on an out of town job for about 3 months now.

The jeep runs and drives fine. I had a nasty vibration in the front which I though had something to do with one of my axle seals leaking so I figured something bad happened in the carrier. But it turned out to only be a worn out unit bearing. So I slapped in my trail spare and now she's all good. Still need to replace that leaking seal though haha

So I need to give a HUGE thank you to JohnnieWalker for rescuing me last night. Went out to the beach and noticed some smoke coming from under the Jeep. The temp was warm but not too bad. I stopped to see what it was and found this

So Jeremy helped out big time by driving to my parents house, picking up the tow pig, and then driving back to his house to get my trailer (he let's us store it there) and then driving out to the beach to pick me up.

So I'll be fixing that today after work.

Back