• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Rattle Rattle

Re: Project: The Silver Bullet

so i am jumping back into the steering on this rig:repair:
my steering was installed by someone i thought was one of our top guys at work, well its not right and i think between it not being right and that axle crushing hole i got stuck in, it my be screwed up.

so im gonna diy a redo here in hopes that i can get it better.
dumb question but hay im still learning and im in my own driveway.

the little movable ball on the inside of a heim joint should be somewhat easy to move by hand right?

one of them, does move if i shove a bolt in it and apply a ton of pressure but that seems a bit much unless they are not supposed to move
the other, no movement

So the latest updates.

like i stated before, the steering was installed by a friend. i believe he originally installed it correctly but may have screwed it up when he was alighting it. I always thought it looked odd but trusted that he knew what he was doing. messing around one day rew and i watched this vid

in this vid you can clearly see why mine was worng. here is a pic of before.

when physically grabbed and pulled, you could move it to this position.

but the second you turned the wheel it would hit again.

the 2 heim joints where at the wrong angles causing it to hit the tie rod.

and you can see in this pic that shit is just not right.

thankfully lowes is like 3 blocks away and i can quickly pick up tools i need.

so not having a clue of what i was doing, i tore it down.

I found heim joints that didn't budge and this

so i got to wrenching and almost completed

then i got drunk with friends

the next day it looked like the baby had more to drink than i did

the redo was later completed and looked a whole lot better

no touchy

next i started the novak shifter cable that some of you all helped me with

i thought that although this thing was not necessarily that hard to do, the small space to work in, plus the (imo) shitty directions, made it a pita. I felt like the directions were written kinda like, your buddy who had already done the job, telling you how to do it over the phone.

anyways,
1st step is removing the old crap, which requires removing the carpet, which requires pulling the console. amazing what you can find when you remove carpet and consoles,

every single old old old coffee (note: i don't drink coffee)covered coin you see in these pics was jammed deep down inside the brass cup that the 4wd shifter site in.

you may notice(and if you didn't take a close look at the second pic)that some of the coins are damn near bent in half. this would be the result of me jamming the shifter in gear assuming it was the linkage. apparently it was not. non the less, i had already thrown out the old parts and had already owned the new cable for about a month. so to install i went.

got this pile of crap out

made this more open

then you all saw my struggles with this nut

but the stubby wrench helped

for future searchers reference, this is 2wd(there was not a lot of internet help with what seemed to be a common question)

then after a ton of struggle and busted knuckles i finally got it in.

and im pretty sure it works:spin1:

next on the list is this amp my buddy sold me for cheap. my sub is a little to deep, so this should bring the highs and mids up a little

Since my last update i have made a few changes.
1st being the title. originally called the silver bullet, after a year or so now it dose nothing but rattle and clunk and make interesting 'jeep' noises, not to mention it is not fast at all like a bullet.
so a few friends and i started calling it "rattle rattle" after the old jingle "rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom bang"
I had the thread title officially change to a more my jeep fitting title.

Project: Rattle Rattle

then it started squealing. traced it down to the ac compressor pulley. now, my ac already did not work due to the evaporator and with that not really being a high priority of mine, i really didn't want to drop a bunch of money on a compressor just to still not have ac. searched some options and came up with this delete pulley. connected to nothing, it just makes it so you can run the same belt configuration.

then i dragged out to redbird for the fall trail cleanup

on the ride home i had a ton a vibration. looking it over and noticed the rear drive shaft had a good beating.
sent it out to a local shop and had it rebuilt.

like the way it looked and the front shaft was a little ugly also, so i sent it out next for repairs.

that's the jist of my current updates.
i collected a few more parts. nothing special efan is dead so i have to replace that and i want to run a switch to turn it on and off at my demand. mfan has no shroud, so i want to replace that. had some interesting temperature spikes and drops so i figure, might as well throw an thermostat and gasket in. cel is pulling an o2 sensor, get that thrown on. plan would be to get this done before WF. we will see.

only big mod that i really want to get done right now is that damn headliner. it is driving me insane. just wish i had more time in the day.

:patriot:

keep an eye on the delete pulley.

they are piles, and once the bearing starts to fail the plastic pulley gets hot and deforms.

Back