• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with a noisy 8.25"...

AndrewXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't dropped the rear diff cover yet, no light until tomorrow, and hardly anytime, infact I am scared to now. 99XJ 8.25 w/ auburn, 6" with 32's. I am getting a clunk that has increased in volume within the past few weeks. It only really happens when I turn left or right, under 10 mph. Gets louder when I hold the break and hit the gas while turning. Anyone have any idea's offhand before I drop the cover? I checked the fluid and it seems slightly low, but not enough to do any serious damage (doesn't pour out of the drain as soon as I take the plug out)

UPDATE: Still havent had a chance to drop the cover, so I put the rear seat down so I can hear a little better on whats going on. I notice around turns, it almost sounds like my axle shafts are shifting, I get a solid DUNK when I make the turns. I know when I had the truck on jackstands, I noticed if I grab the wheel and pull it towards me, push it back it has a little play, but not a whole lot. Is this normal, as well as this clunk? I hear they're are C clips that hold it in, is it possible these need to be replaced? Is it possible this sound is also associated with the other grinding/clunking? Thanks for your input guys, I know it's a pull-the-cover-look kind of thing, but I'm not too familiar with diff's and I haven't had the time, damn work is kickin my arse.

i would say there is a problem with your locker if the noise is getting louder. the 8.25 is a c-clip axle, so the in and out play at the wheel is normal as long as its only an 1/8 of an inch or so. you need to pull the diff cover and inspect the locker.

how long has the locker been in there, and has it always made noise? they usually make a clunking noise when turning, detroits are especially noisy. if its a grinding or scraping type of noise i would say its bearings. just pop the cover off, its really easy to do, and if the fluid in there is black you should change it anyways. if the fluid that comes out has a silvery pearly look to it those are metal shavings and you probably need bearings. i dunno how to inspect the locker but reach in there and give it a shake, i would imagine there should be no play in it. spray it out with a couple cans of brake cleaner, get it as clean as you can, put the cover back on with a thin bead of silicone around the sealing surface, and fill it back up with a couple bottles of gear oil, and you're all set. 1 hour tops.

I've had the Jeep since april-may, and it came with the locker. I also have to list the other faults, which may add to my problem:

- No spring clamps on leafs w/ AAL/1" blocks
- Lower control arms are aftermarket and the bushings are SHOT (In reverse, I can hit the brakes rapidly and they clunk like crazy)
- SYE, but no transfer case drop. Stock front DS as the rear, just makes it yoke to yoke.
- If I grab the slip yoke on the DRIVESHAFT and move it, the shaft seems loose where it goes in and out on the driveshaft.

- put spring clamps on it, get rid of the blocks and get shackles
-replace the bushings - (MY bushing are in great shape and the bitch still clunks when I back up and tap the brakes)
-SYE only - you don't need an TC drop
-Replace the shaft

I plan on going long arms soon, and for the time being I will be getting spring clamps. Do you think any of that has anything to do with the sound coming from the rear? I had a friend look at the DS while it was happening and he said he saw nothing but the rear tires jumping.

well hell man, way to leave out every other part that is probably causing the problem.

you have a whole mess of problems. if its grinding check the rear end, if its a clunk, look elsewhere... geez

AndrewXJ said:
Would it be worth pulling the rear shaft and taking it for a slow ride in 4wd? Just to see if maybe the rear DS is binding up?

Can't hurt. JIM.

Okay, pulled the cover, cleaned everything up and looked into it. I have a bit of play in the center of the locker, where the cross shaft is. Both sides of the axle shafts (?) and the top and bottom of the locker are all moving with play, especially that shaft. It's moving I'd say a little under 1/4", but there is play. This happens when I grab the tire and rotate it an inch forward, inch backward, etc. Is this normal play or do I need to replace something? Almost looks like a U-Joint in the locker kind of deal with the whole + going on.

How I can explain it best is If I grab my wheel, and rotate it slowly, there is about an inch of the wheel movement before the rear driveshaft starts to spin. And I think that's the play I am seeing.

I would retourque your you Bolts first and make sure your centering pin in not broken in the spring and in the block. It is normal to have some play in and out on the axle just non up and down

I would retourque your you Bolts first and make sure your centering pin in not broken in the spring and in the block. It is normal to have some play in and out on the axle just non up and down

Zombie thread!

Back