• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-Suspension lift replacement bolt list

CZHipster

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to add 3" to the '01 Xj. Have the kit on order but I have heard the XJ is prone to bolt breakages after 15 years or so of use. I made it through the YJ lift with no issues, so I was not educated on bolt breakages. What bolts will be most prone to breakage and what size are they? Trying to pre-position to expedite the process. Thanks!

15 years would mean that all XJs are prone to "bolt breakages", and it's simply not the case. It depends on where your rig has spent it's life, and even then, it's a crapshoot. Spray all the hardware with a penetrating fluid like PB Blaster a few days before you start, and you should be fine. The leaf spring bolts, particularly the rear, can give folks fits but I wouldn't buy new ones expecting the worst to happen. XJs are no more prone to this than any other vehicle.

Another possible, depending on rust etc, are the front leaf spring bolts.

My experience is the smaller sizes tend to break most often. Upper shock bolts are common ( I broke 3 of 4). I also broke the bolts to the rear bump stops but only on the passenger side. The big leaf spring bolts have red loctite from the factory so if you can get some heat on them they come out alot easier.

Back