• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering..what are you running?

I'll dig around, I'm pretty sure I've seen hard numbers that the WJ pump has a higher pressure, but the same flow IIRC. :dunno:

Edit: FAIL on my part, I can't find REAL numbers, but a lot of posts saying "Stock is 1450psi / 2.0gpm and the WJ is 1900psi / 2.8gpm".

I've seen em, ill see if I can find them later. Replacing a worn stock xj box and bad stock pump with the Durango/WJ stuff I didn't notice an "oh my god" improvement. Just that it all worked better.

I've seen em, ill see if I can find them later. Replacing a worn stock xj box and bad stock pump with the Durango/WJ stuff I didn't notice an "oh my god" improvement. Just that it all worked better.

My steering was basically stock. I just know I had seen the numbers posted with links before.

After messing with, and being very disappointed, with several rebuilt boxes and pumps, I saved my money and got a PSC pump and a new PSC big-bore box and have not looked back.
Best thing I have done for the steering.... period.
Quality parts that last cost real money.

This is my plan when I finish residency. What do you have in it, bout a grand?

with the large bore box(tapped for assist), high volume pump and bracket kit, as well as new hoses (the factory ones will not work) and fluid, I'm just over 1k into it.

add another 200$ to install a ram and lines for it.

That's a good guess. At the time PSC sold the TC pump separately (without the resevoir) for about $200.
The new, big-bore box was around $700 delivered. By the time a cooler, hoses and inline filter were added, it was close to a $1000.
In return I have enjoyed several years of tight and powerful steering, able to twist the 33"s with two finger ease.
Bigger tires should have a ram added, especially if used for rocks.

The old saying that "speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" still applies today. High quality, performance parts cost and, in return, are a lot more likely to get the XJ home under its own power.
We venture too far off in the boonies to trust cheap parts.

That's a good guess. At the time PSC sold the TC pump separately (without the resevoir) for about $200.
The new, big-bore box was around $700 delivered. By the time a cooler, hoses and inline filter were added, it was close to a $1000.
In return I have enjoyed several years of tight and powerful steering, able to twist the 33"s with two finger ease.
Bigger tires should have a ram added, especially if used for rocks.

The old saying that "speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" still applies today. High quality, performance parts cost and, in return, are a lot more likely to get the XJ home under its own power.
We venture too far off in the boonies to trust cheap parts.

Well put. I'll just have to pinch my pennies, and bite the bullet. I have been making more and more frequent wheeling trips..each time trying a harder trail or line. I have WAY more than 1k invested in good suspension and race shocks. Axle swap (and gears) with larger tires on the horizon, I just want to keep it streetable.

I just spent my tax return on a PSC assist kit. I know it'll be money well spent.

Please keep me posted on how it turns out..maybe a review of sorts. Better steering is high up on my list of "to-do" before next major trip into the rocks.

Back