• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

posi trac identification...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinairman

NAXJA Forum User
well i looked through threads and couldnt find anything about what i am looking for...anyhoo....

how do i know if i have a posi trac or not in an axle....did they have them in the front too????....i dont know much about axles and gearing and stuff like that but i am getting ready to change my diff fluid and i dont if i should put this "additive" in it or not.....btw

front is d30...rear is d35......89 xj.....4.0 limited ....aw4 ....150k as of yesterday......

thanks for your help!!.....this forum freakin rocks man.....its like my Bible nowadays...sheeze....

Front won't have limited slip from the factory......ever. Jack up the rear. Spin one tire if the other rotates the opposite direction you do not have a limited slip.

ah....good deal.....i didnt know if the factory specs had an option for limited slip or not.....thanks.....i am sure its not then...jus twanted to make sure before i cleaned out and dumped oil in the pumpkin...

thanks again...

well i climbed under the jeep today and there is a lil metal ID tag on one of the bolts on the diff that says use "limited slip oil only"...so i am guessin the 35 that i have in the back is in fact a limited slip......i wonder if the fluid has ever been changed cause i cant remember the last axel i looked at that had that lil tag...hmmm...good thing i am changing it soon

so what kind of additive does someone reccommed??

thanx for the help

I wouldn't bother with the aftermarket parts shops, use anyone of the Big3 friction modifiers.

WTF...positrac?

goddamn it everytime i hear that crap regarding mustangs or jeeps or whatever, its like im at a freakin' left-handers only track drinkin' natty ice and smoking usa golds. positrac is for chevrolet...everyone calls it posi...limited slip? that one works for everyone. trac loc for jeeps, traction lok for fords whatever, but LSD would work for anyone. what i am saying if it wasn't clear, is it is USUALLY morons who are using the word PAAAWSEETRAC for everything.

Re: WTF...positrac?

PapaPump said:
goddamn it everytime i hear that crap regarding mustangs or jeeps or whatever, its like im at a freakin' left-handers only track drinkin' natty ice and smoking usa golds. positrac is for chevrolet...everyone calls it posi...limited slip? that one works for everyone. trac loc for jeeps, traction lok for fords whatever, but LSD would work for anyone. what i am saying if it wasn't clear, is it is USUALLY morons who are using the word PAAAWSEETRAC for everything.

i see it differently.. what makes him a moron for asking if he has a traction device in his axle??? he is obviously not quite as "up" on his motor vehicle terminology as you are Mr. GoodPliers... he wants to do some maintenance and has the presence of mind to ask a question he knows should be asked, but knows very little about..... but when you read the title you automatically knew what he was asking about didnt you? why nit pick the guy??? its pretty obvious since he didnt know how to accurately test for a traction device, he really had little knowledge of the manufaturers "pet" name for such a device..... it seems to me that morons dont have a lot of patience for those with less knowledge than themselves... thanks for being a positive contributor to the site..

Re: WTF...positrac?

PapaPump said:
LSD would work for anyone
Although first synthesized in 1938, I believe this quote is more appropriate for Timothy Leary... Chill out on the friggin' name; it's not THAT big a deal.

hmm....didnt mean to cause a problem....STRIPTIDE is right though..im NOT up on all the terminology....especially when it comes to my jeep.....i AM learning though..learning alot.....posi trac...trac loc.....LSD....all the same thing....

i have just had more experience with diesel engines than "trac loc"....axels.....
i am a mechanic/tech in the Air Force for support equipment for aircraft...and its all diesels and no emmissions crap.....or "trac loc" axels....

so i think i have a good question man..i am just trying to further my knowledge of this vehicle......

I don't know why I wrote that...It was pretty blunt and mean. Anyway, sorry for being a jerk. Jjust a pet peeve, nothing serious, even if the post sounded that way.

Usually not. With an open differential, usually only the right tire goes up in smoke.

BTW -- "you" is spelled Y-O-U, not u. Believe it or not, it's easier for us olde phartes to read English than to try to decipher TXT MSGS

Last time I went to the dealer, I paid over $10 for the friction modifier (which looked like nothing more than machine oil) and I couldn't help but think "for the added price of this, I could have bought RedLine WITH the friction modifier in it for the same price". . . Any reason NOT to just use this?

My 96' has limited-slip. There is a factory sicker in the glove box that says something like "This vehicle is equipped with a limited-slip locking differential, and will drive differently than vehicles not equipped......" BLAAA BLAAA BLAAA. Something like that, it is a chrome colered sticker with red lettering. It would be easy enought to look for. HTH..

Haleyes

thanks 4 the info 3xfamily and haleyes but that eagle dude needs 2 f off the only reason im using the numbers and stuff 2 get him pissed lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back