• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portal axles on Cherokee?

Two copecks from Russia

We do have couple a rigs here using this Volvo (in Sweden they called it Laplander) axeles - they're great but well known for the wick tubes
As for Unimog staff...first - they spin the oppisite direction, and, forget everything else, start with the custom made rims - 19" or 20" - etc.>etc.

I am trying to plan a build around Portal axles. Yes, it can (and will) be done. The one MAJOR issue to deal with is torsinal loads that the 5 to 8"s of leverage create. To control that much amount of force, beefy suspension parts are mandatory. I myself will be going with a double triagulated 4 link, i can only image what those axles would do to a pair of leaf springs! :eek: Even with an anti wrap bar, that is a TON of force! Idealy, a hybrid portal would be optimal because of the lenght of the pinion on a stock housing. A 9" center cection is what i would like to do because the availability of aftermarket parts. You could almost run drivelines parallel to the ground with High pinion 3rd members. This is just some small pieces of info that might help you or hurt your thoughts on taking a project like that :D

MATT

I knew of a guy that was in Oregon (can't remember the name) that was trying to do this to his cherokee, problems he was having was the unibody wasn't able to handle the stress of the 38's and portals, the torsion was too great and the unsprung weight was imense.

here you go.....
IMGP1171.JPG

IMGP1170.JPG

MaXJohnson said:
it's "FM"

do you still not understand what he's trying to say? or do you just not get it? if you lift a cherokee with a dana 30 4 inches the axle is that much farther away from the pan. if you lift a cherokee on portals 4 inches theres no difference between how far the AXLE is from the pan than the cherokee with the dana 30, the total lift is just higher because of the portal drop :twak:

shortxjdoug said:
do you still not understand what he's trying to say? or do you just not get it? if you lift a cherokee with a dana 30 4 inches the axle is that much farther away from the pan. if you lift a cherokee on portals 4 inches theres no difference between how far the AXLE is from the pan than the cherokee with the dana 30, the total lift is just higher because of the portal drop :twak:
wow, are your trolling or being serious, maybe he HAS learned now since he's had 4 years to think about it :dunno:

Back