• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable toilet

Yes, Spyder is closed to all camping and human entry for the rest of the year.
We're doing a big cleanup on the 7th of August. We have been granted entry to the closed area and will haul out all the human waste and garbage that we find.
If you are going to run the Rubicon you should have the proper means to clean up after yourself. If you don't, you shouldn't be up there.

For the NAXJA Rubicon run in August I have enough wag bags for all the participants to use. Everyone will be required to haul out their own waste.
If you're looking to get some try here...
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=4293171&memberId=12500226
...that is where I got my supply and they came in two days.

Jes

Hey Jes,

Are the WAG bags easy to use with that cardboard toilet? I'd like to get that toilet because its cheap so long as its user-friendly with the bags. I'll be getting my own supply of bags as well...

Jes said:
Yes, Spyder is closed to all camping and human entry for the rest of the year.
We're doing a big cleanup on the 7th of August. We have been granted entry to the closed area and will haul out all the human waste and garbage that we find.

Not being flippant, but make sure you wear protective gear. Doubt they'll let you carpet bomb the area with bleach first....

EricsXJ said:
Hey Jes,

Are the WAG bags easy to use with that cardboard toilet? I'd like to get that toilet because its cheap so long as its user-friendly with the bags. I'll be getting my own supply of bags as well...

Yes, I've been using the wag/cardboard setup for a year now. Works well, just be sure and put it on level tera firma.

poomba said:
Not being flippant, but make sure you wear protective gear. Doubt they'll let you carpet bomb the area with bleach first....

Think moon suit. ;)

Jes

scottsxj said:
this might have been said but you could just go squat behind a tree with some TP and have at it
Well, that's the problem though...too many people doing just that, makes for a pretty crappy camping experience. To avoid that, and frankly, to keep the trails open a little longer, I'm willing to "wag" a portable toilet from Utah, to Colorado, to the Rubicon, even if someone else is gonna have to set the silly tent up on the thing :p Have 2 boxes of 12-pack wags, so we should be ah...covered.

scottsxj said:
this might have been said but you could just go squat behind a tree with some TP and have at it

Don't people read. :doh:

That's exactly the problem........too many people in a small area with hardly any dirt.

Pack it in and pack it out is the only solution.

However, at Oceano dunes this weekend I saw nice bathrooms that were constructed back in the dunes, and I saw a 4x4 hooked to a small trailer with a tank on it and they were pumping out one of the bathrooms. I also saw a 4x4 flat bed with constuction equipment on it doing maintenance. The Forest Service can solve the problem, they just need to get pushed into it. There's OHV grant money available, plus FOTR could raise money for it.

Last edited:
Do you guys want this posted in the Landuse section?

------------------

Subject: Rubicon Trail World Attention

Dear Editor/Webmaster:

The closure of Spider lake camping areaon the Rubicon Trail has drawn world wide attention to the Rubicon Trail -- beyond what it normally gets. The Rubicon Trail Home page on my web site has blown out all statistics for me. I'm inundated with emails and hits from all over the world. It's a good thing; but we (Friends of the Rubicon) need your help.

This request is for your web site or club chat rooms, etc. We need more feedback and ideas on the future of recreation as it relates to the Rubicon Trail. This is the first time I know of that sanitation (human waste) has closed a trail. The extreme sport craze has affected the Rubicon Trail immensely. Over use of the trail is becoming more of a problem (too many people, too small an area). Ideas are floating around about permits on trails; mandatory sanitation products; and more cops on trails.

If you have the interest in your area, would you please start a Rubicon Talk type forum on your web sites and chat rooms where folks can discuss this, come up with ideas; and feed them back to me, or Friends of the Rubicon, or where ever you like to send key information for distribution. Please have a local moderator who might serve as the single point of contact for FOTR for key ideas to feedback.

Also, in keeping with the recent article I sent you on A Call To Quills, I request that if you do this, you ask that these chat rooms, web pages, and BBS areas be readable by kids and moms.

thank you,
Del

Del Albright
Trail Boss, Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR)
Moderator, FOTR Email List
BlueRibbon Ambassador and Life Member
State Environmental Affairs Coordinator, CA4WDC

Rubicon Trail Home Page: www.delalbright.com/
Albright Enterprises
PO BOX 127
Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245-0127

Email Del: [email protected]
Sponsored by: ARB 4x4 Accessories; Rubicon4x4.Com; and the Off-Road Business Association (ORBA).

-----

Let me know.

Let Del know if you have opinions and suggestions (open a new thread here or in Landuse for discussion).

Ed, looks like that would be a good place to discuss the issue. It is an important topic.

Richard

Ed A. Stevens said:
Do you guys want this posted in the Landuse section?

------------------

Subject: Rubicon Trail World Attention

Dear Editor/Webmaster:

The closure of Spider lake camping areaon the Rubicon Trail has drawn world wide attention to the Rubicon Trail -- beyond what it normally gets. The Rubicon Trail Home page on my web site has blown out all statistics for me. I'm inundated with emails and hits from all over the world. It's a good thing; but we (Friends of the Rubicon) need your help.

This request is for your web site or club chat rooms, etc. We need more feedback and ideas on the future of recreation as it relates to the Rubicon Trail. This is the first time I know of that sanitation (human waste) has closed a trail. The extreme sport craze has affected the Rubicon Trail immensely. Over use of the trail is becoming more of a problem (too many people, too small an area). Ideas are floating around about permits on trails; mandatory sanitation products; and more cops on trails.

If you have the interest in your area, would you please start a Rubicon Talk type forum on your web sites and chat rooms where folks can discuss this, come up with ideas; and feed them back to me, or Friends of the Rubicon, or where ever you like to send key information for distribution. Please have a local moderator who might serve as the single point of contact for FOTR for key ideas to feedback.

Also, in keeping with the recent article I sent you on A Call To Quills, I request that if you do this, you ask that these chat rooms, web pages, and BBS areas be readable by kids and moms.

thank you,
Del

Del Albright
Trail Boss, Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR)
Moderator, FOTR Email List
BlueRibbon Ambassador and Life Member
State Environmental Affairs Coordinator, CA4WDC

Rubicon Trail Home Page: www.delalbright.com/
Albright Enterprises
PO BOX 127
Mokelumne Hill, CA 95245-0127

Email Del: [email protected]
Sponsored by: ARB 4x4 Accessories; Rubicon4x4.Com; and the Off-Road Business Association (ORBA).

-----

Let me know.

Let Del know if you have opinions and suggestions (open a new thread here or in Landuse for discussion).

Back