• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable toilet

Do they make Drop bumper dumpers? :D

This just got interesting because I read that they are starting to require the use of portable toilets on the Rubicon trail: http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/sanitation.htm I also saw this:

El Dorado County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday declared a state of local emergency, closing an area off the Rubicon trail to the public because of an accumulation of human feces. The area includes a couple of hundred acres around the Spider Lake-Little Sluice area, the most popular place to camp along the 14-mile trail. The order calls for the area to be closed for 120 days so it can be cleaned up to the point that it no longer presents a threat to public health and safety and the environment, said Jon Morgan, director of the El Dorado County Department of Environmental Management. The order takes effect immediately and is to be enforced by the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department and U.S. Forest Service. It does not shut down any portion of the Rubicon trail.

"We had a number of reports from the public about the increasing unsanitary condition and we confirmed it over the weekend," said Jon Morgan, director of the El Dorado County Department of Environmental Management. "There is human feces and urine everywhere up there. Hopefully this sends a message and reduces the impact of people on nature up there."

The trail boss for the Friends of the Rubicon, which represents more than 400 off-road clubs from around the world, adamantly opposed the closure.

"The government agencies involved have had three years of management opportunities on this trail and yet have not completed those," said Del Albright, trail boss for the Friends of the Rubicon and member of the county's Rubicon Oversight Committee. "This closure is too radical and too premature."

The Rubicon trail, a county road, runs west to east around the northeast corner of Desolation Wilderness. It starts in the Eldorado National Forest at Wentworth Springs near Loon Lake and ends at Lake Tahoe at Homewood. On a busy weekend there can be 1,000 people camped within a half-mile of Spider Lake, with at least a couple of hundred camped around the lake, Albright said.

Part of the land that surrounds Spider Lake is privately owned. The rest is land managed by the U.S. Forest Service. The landscape is granite, making it difficult if not impossible to dig a hole and bury human waste. The terrain is too treacherous to accommodate any restroom facilities.

"This (closure) is the result of irresponsible parties," Morgan said. "There are a lot of responsible Jeepers who pack it in and pack it out."

In 2002, the county bought $10,000 worth of portable toilets and gave them to people who use the Rubicon trail, according to Albright. The county also established the Rubicon Oversight Committee in 2001 to work on a master plan for the trail.

"There's been no follow up by the county, the Forest Service or the Rubicon Oversight Committee," Albright said. "I believe before closing it the Forest Service should have taken the bull by the horns and developed some campsites."

Albright said closure of the area will cause four-wheelers to camp at Buck Island Lake, just down the road from Spider Lake.

"They are going to find other places; the same number of people are going to go," Albright said. "If these people move to the next lake, are they going to close that too?"

Lester Lubetkin, a Forest Service recreation officer, said people need to bring portable toilets when they travel the Rubicon.

"What they really need to be doing is packing out their waste," Lubetkin said. "Otherwise there are just so many people and they'll go to another spot and end up with the same problem in a new spot."

Sorry for the long post, just thught others may want to read it.

-Mike

Last edited:
I came across a cool toilet today
toilet.jpg

It will support 400lbs and it's only 18.00!!! thay are at Big 5 sporting goods

crazy4mopar said:
toilet.jpg

400lbs! now that is a lot of crap!

Oh you ment for the person sitting on it.:roflmao:

crazy4mopar said:
toilet.jpg

That looks pretty comfy. You could actually sit on the crapper while your sitting by the fire chatting it up with everyone. Watch the gases though or you could turn this thing into a flame thrower!!! :D It looks like a folding camping chair without the back.
I'll have to go by Big 5 and check it out. We got to do our part to stop this problem on the Con or it will be taken away from us.

I'm sure the "wag bags" could work with the Big 5 toilet. That sounds like a good deal worth looking into. I think I've seen the toilet tents for cheaper at Sprtmart or Sport Chalet. Just can't remember.

-Mike

I was thinking of the Wag Bags because they already have the gelling powder that elimintes odor and also makes it safer to transport the waste in your rig.

-Mike

While crapping in a plastic bag and carrying it out is noble, it isn't the most sanitary or pleasant thing to do. Also, it may be considered a bio hazard and illegal to dump in the trash.
The Wag Bags are great because of the "poo powder" in them. It turns the waste into a gelatenous substance, removing odor, making it landfill safe, and legal to dump in the trash with the rest of your garbage.
I'm going to check out Big 5 for those stands, they look like a nice compact alternative to the PETT toilet and stronger than the cardboard one I have.

Jes

Edit, posted at the same time as Mike.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to look at the Big 5 toilets as well. Is that a sale price or the normal price? It sure is a little easier to spend the $18 on the Big 5 one vs the $115 just the Pett toilet goes for. That extra $100 can buy some extra bags. The toilet tent would be good for some of the females and kids that go on trips I'm sure though.
Is it me or did the prices on the Pett system go up over the last week or so? Last time I looked at the pricing on www.thepett.com I could've sworn the whole system was about $250 and now it is $380. At least other places still have the old prices.

-Mike

Big Jeep 101 said:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to look at the Big 5 toilets as well. Is that a sale price or the normal price? It sure is a little easier to spend the $18 on the Big 5 one vs the $115 just the Pett toilet goes for. That extra $100 can buy some extra bags. The toilet tent would be good for some of the females and kids that go on trips I'm sure though.
Is it me or did the prices on the Pett system go up over the last week or so? Last time I looked at the pricing on www.thepett.com I could've sworn the whole system was about $250 and now it is $380. At least other places still have the old prices.

-Mike
17.97 regular price.......
I'll get the name of it tomorrow, I can't find the paper I wrote it down on :confused:

crazy4mopar said:
17.97 regular price.......
I'll get the name of it tomorrow, I can't find the paper I wrote it down on :confused:

I just picked 1 up today after work. Thanks for the tip.

oh my! said:
how much shipped to 60609........seriously.

What's up with the user name change? Everyone knows it's U beezil. :looser: Just kidding man, what's up with that though???

Big Red said:
What's up with the user name change? Everyone knows it's U beezil. :looser: Just kidding man, what's up with that though???

I love your Chicago avatar though. So are you Midwest guys getting that Chapter going down there. I'd like to wheel with you when I visit my family in Rockford. My brother-in-law has a lifted CJ-7 that he needs me to coax him into wheeling ever since I found it for him in WI. Do you ever wheel with those guys in Rockford in the Northern IL Jeep Alliance? Sorry for hijacking this thread, I got the 1 from Big 5 that Lee suggested and it looks like it will last awhile and is nice and compact for storage. So there, I talked about the crapper thing. Seriously this whole closure thing at Spider Lake is a wake up call to everyone that the Rubicon shouldn't be taken for granted and that just a few stupid irresponsible people can ruin it for the masses. If we see some one crapping and leaving it on the Con, we should rub their face in it like a dog :flamemad:
Troy

WesternXJ said:
Another idea is the Bumper Dumper.

www.bumperdumper.com

Make sure you take the keys with you, cuz you just know someone's dying to drive off with you back there.... :gee: :eyes:

poomba said:
Make sure you take the keys with you, cuz you just know someone's dying to drive off with you back there.... :gee: :eyes:

Yeah they advertise it like you can take a crap anywhere, but you got to get your truck's back end in a remote spot to have some privacy. You cannot just pull over on the side of the highway, load up the receiver and start crapping as cars are wizzing by. :eek: THe BIg 5 unit is nice in that it is very compact, light, and you can take it with you in the woods. Plus you can use different bags if you want to loan it out to someone on the trip.

Back