• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Polished Eccos?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone has removed the paint
(powdercoat) on Ecco wheels and polished them up?

The painted wheels look OK, but bare polished aluminum
might give the XJ some extra 'bling'...?

I have done it on some canyons & on gmc alloys before. Its a ton of work & a bitch to keep clean. I think the Ecco wheels don't have too many nooks and crannies that would be to hard to polish out.

Last two times I did it, I bought a extra rim and did one at a time, because it takes so long to do one wheel. Couple hours to strip the clear, a billion hours sanding, getting rid of any pitting & a zillion hours polishing.

unless I really needed it I would screw it and paint them gunmetal or something cool...

MrShaft696, thanks for posting your experiences.
I figured it would be a lot of work; probably too much
to fool with.

Painting them gunmetal is a good idea. I have a set of
Bullits on an Explorer that are gunmetal, and they do
look good.

Very nice hammertone wheels.

I'm re-thinking stripping these Eccos. Might just
scuff them and spray a deeper color...

MrShaft696, thanks for posting your experiences.
I figured it would be a lot of work; probably too much
to fool with.

Painting them gunmetal is a good idea. I have a set of
Bullits on an Explorer that are gunmetal, and they do
look good.

or paint them and partially polish them. polishing the lip on the outside of the rim is pretty easy, but the whole wheel is some work.

A powdercoat place can blast them and coat them in chrome or a polished aluminum lookalike. My local shop will do it for $200 for 4 wheels. Gets you shiny like you want, but no maintenance.

Back