• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

I think I just carry shallows, but I can't remember...lol. I have not found anything on my XJ that requires a deepwell, that I can't get a wrench on...

Me neither, but I just know that the first time I leave the deepwells at home, I'll discover why I need em...

Robert

I've made some changes in mine recently. I removed my rear seat and built a truck bed style tire carrier onto my existing high lift mount. I think it turned out pretty well.

Horizontal tie bar between the two lay-downs for a bit of structure and somewhere to put my ratchet strap that holds it in place:
1231081355a.jpg

Hopefully you can see what I mean by "lay-downs"- just the bars bolted to the under seat cross member. The jack is attached by bolts that were welded through the tubing to hold it in place. Their size escapes my memory:
1231081355.jpg

The feet to hold the tire above the tranny tunnel and the 2x2 angle I used as the floor mount. The angle is bolted to the under seat cross member. It worked perfectly as a strong, easy mounting point:
1231081354.jpg

This picture got skewed it would seem, but this is a general overview shot showing how the tire just rolls out of the back doors with plenty of clearance and it's much easier to get to now. My amp tucks nicely under the jack and I re-mounted my amp from the back seat to the back of the box:
1231081353.jpg

Looking out of the back, the tire doesn't interfere with my line of sight at all:
1231081352.jpg

And finally, the back cargo area as it is now. I found a nice, waterproof, locking plastic container at K-mart on sale for around $20. It's great, and holds everything. I keep my tools and recovery bag in the floorboard behind the passenger seat for easy access. I keep everything else in the tub. I still have plenty of room on the sides, and could stack stuff on top if I need too. I'm going to be getting a smaller tub to go under the jack/tire carrier behind the passenger seat next to the amp to hold food and the like:
1231081350.jpg

Annnnd that's that. Took me about 2hrs because we were moving slow and messing around. I really like it. I never used my backseat anyway, and having my cargo area back without a rear tire carrier is nice.

i wish i could get my cargo area situated. guess my subs get in the way. if i can find some 1x1 tubing i'll make a rack. to bad i cant fit a 35 inch spare back there :/ i still use my rear seat.

Heres a few pics of my rear cargo area/storage compartment I just finished. Just need to touch up a few areas...

Hi-lift is not attached in this pic, still need to build a mount for it

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

Part way full with my recovery gear

DSC00845.jpg

Rear seat is a split seat from a WJ. Took a lot of fabrication to get it in though on my 93. I heard it's easier on a 97+ though...

DSC00851.jpg

For more pics, see this thread http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14458&p=159486#p159486

Here is my setup I did a few months ago. I did not have enough carpet to finish at the time of the pics. It is bolted through the floor in multiple places and is still removable. That is a 285/75-16 spare.

Tool box only on there for rides.
Picture1117.jpg

Recovery straps, shackles, extra fluids, etc
Picture1118.jpg

Even have a little bass built in...
Picture1119.jpg

Here is my setup I did a few months ago. I did not have enough carpet to finish at the time of the pics. It is bolted through the floor in multiple places and is still removable. That is a 285/75-16 spare.

Tool box only on there for rides.
Picture1117.jpg

Glad to hear the toolbox doesn't stay up there all the time. A metal toolbox strapped to MDF would probably turn into a missle. With two young kids in the jeep, that could be a disaster. I'd be leary of that setup if the kids go offroading with you, but that's just me. Otherwise, everything else looks good.

This is from the JUNKYARD UPGRADE THREAD (i did the swap)

I was at the yard today picking up some more Tahoe cargo tie-downs. These things are great, and can also be found in the late-90s S-10 Blazers (two of these came from a '98). The cig provides reference for size

Tahoe_Tie_Downs.jpg

Also found this in the back of a Tahoe

Mystery_Cargo_Net.jpg

I don't know if it's from a Tahoe--I haven't seen it in any of them before, and there was a lot of weird parts junk in this one

That netting will be perfect for my current project (sekrit). I'd like to know what it's from so I can get a couple more steel hooks.

Pics from when I first built mine. I wanted to add a place to put the Viair and Tank. It's bolted through the floor, the fire ext is on one side with a Flashlight mounted on the other.
Plenty of room inside for parts, oil, Straps, tools that don't fit in the small tool box. With the tool box I wanted to be able to pull it out when I needed without lifting the lid.

It's been in for a couple of years now and the MDF is starting to show wear, looking at some of the pics here I may have to rebuild soon.

101_1664.jpg

100_1682.jpg

100_1685.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1671.jpg

I also have straps going to the factor cargo mounts that I put on when wheeling, Just not sure how well the latches were going to hold in a roll over.

Gone Fish'n
Jeep136.jpg

Jeep137.jpg

If the fish is really big, I strap the black storage container in the back seat.

Last edited:
anyone have something like this for the XJ. in the planning stages right now and I don't feel like reinventing the wheel if it has already been done

cargo_area_dimen.jpg

the dimensions

Back