• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phil's Rubicon Run report

A BIG thanks to Phil, Bryan, Dave, and all the other experienced guys who took a big group of us newbs through.

I had an absolute blast. Great wheelin, great group to go with. Im glad I finally got to meet some of you.

On to the pics...

The group heading out on friday morning
dscf00170tm.jpg

Walker Hill...
dscf00252rb.jpg

Bryan C. gettin soup bowl.
dscf00352gn.jpg

Phil almost gettin soup bowl... right before he took out his yoke.
dscf00389wp.jpg

Opie's claim to fame - spun the inner at the splines, blasted the outer, and tatered the hub. He had a hell of a weekend, but kept smilin.
dscf00436fo.jpg

Saturday morning overlooking Buck...
dscf00527ly.jpg

The first group heading out early Sunday morning
dscf00693jb.jpg

Opie gettin it on the hard route around the springs
dscf00760vv.jpg

The early group coming out the top
dscf00800fr.jpg

Cant wait to go again!

-justin

It was a great trip, I got some new dents and my stock bumpers aren't looking too good but no major damage. I left early on Saturday and had a nice ride out (almost no traffic). It was nice to meet everyone, good people, good times. My brother and I had a great time, thanks.

Some pics:

http://http://seymours.net/jjseymour/Rubicon2006/

The Toyota is the one that rolled on Caddy and the driver was lifted out by helicopter. It was being towed out Saturday.

We ran into the Toyota guy's friends at the staging area at the Tahoe end. They had just finished getting the rig off the trail and were about to head back in to recover some equipment they had left behind.

The guy flipped backwards end over end. Suffered four broken ribs, two broken shoulders and broken bones in the back of his neck. Pretty bad shape, but he'll survive.

CRASH said:
I got a call from Phil about some URF warranty work......something must have broken or loosened up....he never described the situation. Any word on this?

yeah -

Around 1:00am after getting off the trail late, stopping in placerville to drop off NickAngus at his busted rig, then waiting for a decision, going to davis, dropping my sister off, dropping nick off, driving to Sanjose -
I was tired, and falling asleep at the wheel, pulled off the road to walk around and wake up a bit...

happened to notice that Phil's tie rod WASNT ATTACHED on the drivers side...

Lost the codder pin and castle nut...

decided, fawk it, sleep in the jeeps, call Andy and Dave in the morning and go from there...

4:15am, CHP comes to say hello - ask's whats up... did we steal the vehicles, do we need a tow, are we ok... then leaves

6:00am, wake up with sun in our faces, looking at street signs... Found a castle nut with WAY too much rust to be phil's, but happened to have the right threads....

Zip ties work well as codder pins right? :helpme:

Fawk Im tired...

1000 miles on the heep this weekend :D and still ticking strong... :D

Pics and captions later - and video of Doug in the box... with audio... :D

Got my pics uploaded tonight.

The group heading down the granite bowl.
standard.jpg

Matt, StarboardM on Walker Hill
standard.jpg

Chad in the MJ
standard.jpg

Justin, Htek, made short work of Soup Bowl
standard.jpg

I wish I was back there right now. What a view from the shore, and an even better way to spend a Saturday.
standard.jpg

Waterfall pics
standard.jpg

Our country beer cooler along the river.
standard.jpg

How Dave, Letterman, spent his birthday. party1:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

A slightly smashed Twinkie and a burning match replaced the traditional cake and candles.
standard.jpg

More pics to come tomorrow.

I had a blast on this trip...Thanks again for the Vets taking all the Newbs... Thanks to the people that helped me when my u-joint and axle shaft went out...

Here are some pics i got.....

Looking back at Loon Lake on the opposite side of the Granite Bowl
CIMG2671.jpg

HTek spanikin soup bowl
CIMG2681.jpg

Lettermans rear locker not working!
CIMG2693.jpg

Starboard M gettin all tipsy
CIMG2783.jpg

Buck Lake at dusk
CIMG2720.jpg

Awesome trip! Thanks again for the Vets taking care of us Newbs! Look foward to wheeling with you guys again. And Thanks to ccflexj for that awesome toss of the lit fire cracker into my rig on the freeway...

Where did you guys camp Friday night? Cause it sounds like you must have been just around the corner from us. We camped @ Buck at the same spot as we did the year before.

Paul S said:
Great pics., makes me wanna find time to get up there this Summer.

Paul

I thought you'd be a lot closer to the 'Con by now? Decide to take your chances at the ghetto schools?

Wheeling > offspring. I like it.

CRASH said:
Wheeling > offspring. I like it.

Leilani just noted last night that what I spent this past year year on wheeling would almost cover private school, & that doesn't even cover the cash deals that don't count :shhh:

We're going to spend a week up there in August, sans jeep. No idea what we'll end up doing.

Paul

Took me about 10 min to realize that this picture is flipped. :twak:
And it should be posted for posterity (sp)
standard

Thanks all for a good time. Had a blast and got to finally meet people.
Thank you everyone for putting up with me and teaching the newb how to wheel. Hope to make it up to the con sometime again this summer.

Starboard M said:
Took me about 10 min to realize that this picture is flipped. :twak:

I didn't even notice that, fixed now.

Glad you had fun, and it was nice to meet your father too. Hopefully we didn't scare him off.

Back