• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting a brand bew bumper

IMO anything thats going to see abuse, dont waste time/money in making it look pretty. my first axle build (8.8) i spend a lot of time prepping, and spraying it with rustoleum hammered. looked great for about 2-3 wheeling trips. but rocks, logs, etc took their toll on it. as it would have any paint. and it was harder to touch up because the gloss faded pretty quickly

i decided from there on out anything that can see a scratch will be flat black. takes 30 seconds to touch up and always matches

I would like to do a bed-liner type of application. I like the way it looks and it should be durable. My main concern doing something like that is touch up. This thing is going to get scratched. I imagine even a bed liner type material will come off when scraped against rock. Can you just touch up that stuff?

Right now I have some of the Hammerite in flat black. I think I'm going to put on a couple coats on. It'll be durable ane easy to touch up. If I don't like the finish I'll top-coat it with something easily found in a rattle can, but I'm not really the glossy-bumper type.

if you really wanna do a bed liner, go buy yourself some herc. works good, and very carefully read the application process.

issues will follow if ya dont.....

This thing is going to get scratched.
Scratched,what a puss! I weld up the "gouges" in my bumper/sliders all the time,gotta love rattle can paints.Everything else just isnt cost effective!

if you really wanna do a bed liner, go buy yourself some herc. works good, and very carefully read the application process.

issues will follow if ya dont.....
Google "hootus" if you don't believe her!! :rof:

Rustoleum "Hammered", works good, touches up nicely.

This is what I do for all solid steel parts

1) Use a drill with a wire brush to scuff the metal evenly

2) Clean surface with lint-free cloth and mineral spirits

3) Rustoleum automotive primer, wait 30 min

4) second coat of primer, cure overnight

5) Rustoleum hammered finish, wait 30 min

6) semi-gloss black, wait 30 min

7) second coat of semi-gloss black, cure for two days minimum

With the above you will have a very durable paint that is easy to touch up and looks great. Substitute your favorite color for the semi-gloss black but you really need to avoid the high gloss--it dries the same way it looks when wet, and you really need a continuous even application to get it on good. The semi-gloss and duller paints do not have that problem.

Re: Painting a brand new bumper

Here's what I ended up doing.

Krylon silver hammered finish. The rockers are silver as well, the rear bumper/tire carrier gets here tues--also will be silver. The krylon hammered finish didn't stick well to the hammerite so I'll end up repainting the front in a few months. The rockers have a good primer on them and the top coat sticks really well on it. I'm putting those on in the next couple weeks.

Does anyone know where I can get things sand/bead blasted? Are there any do it yourself places in Denver?

Anyway here are some pics. I started with black, but I just could not make myself like it...

I have really thick skin, so let opinion fly...

20081123069.jpg

20081123083.jpg

20081123084.jpg

m4j2t

As for snad/beadblasting, DO IT YOURSELF! One of the best investments ever. Get a tub of media (I bought 5 gallons of 80grit for about $30) and get a simple gravity feed gun.

Here's a replica of what I use.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95793
Granted it was blue point and about 4x the cost. Bust after taking it apart it was a waste of money. The thing has like 3 parts.

Hook that up to your air supply and blast away. Works like a champ.

I painted my Rigidco bumper with Duplicolor bedliner in the aerosol can. Looks great and is very durable. Even if it gets scraped off, I can paint right over it. Sprayed it right on the bare metal after wiping it with acetone.

I would go with some etching primer, then Good Grip, its arasol and comes out like line-x, really good stuff. It can be touched up also.

Back