• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oversized Oil Filter?

fender said:
Excellent to know... My Ford Ranger and Mustang both use the FL1A Motorcraft (almost all fords do) so now I can just buy the same filters for all my rigs. :) Well except for the Corrolla.....

I think Purolator makes the motorcraft filters-

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#motorcraft.

I almost bought the Purolator Premium Plus L30001 (NOT the Pure1) at AA today, but when I was holding the Mobil 1 and the Purolator the Mobil looked to be better made and was heavier. In the end it cost me $4 more, but I know I'll be happy. I still wonder if I'm over doing it with the Mobil 1, and it bugs me a little to maybe be spending more than I need to.

Fish'nCarz said:
I think Purolator makes the motorcraft filters-

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#motorcraft.

I almost bought the Purolator Premium Plus L30001 (NOT the Pure1) at AA today, but when I was holding the Mobil 1 and the Purolator the Mobil looked to be better made and was heavier. In the end it cost me $4 more, but I know I'll be happy. I still wonder if I'm over doing it with the Mobil 1, and it bugs me a little to maybe be spending more than I need to.

Better to spend a little more now than a lot more later.

I've caused sparks with the Mobil 301 on my '98; solution, cut up a heavy duty contractor trash bag or similar piece of plastic into about a one foot square or so piece, lay it between starter and filter.

Also keeps starter nice 'n oil free. Mobil 1 to me is so slippery that lots of it comes out when I install a new prefilled filter and my hand keeps slipping while trying to catch the filter mount threads :shhh:

I can not find it anymore, but years ago someone posted an online review of oil filters. The reviewer use to work for one of the auto companies and did a detailed survey and disected many filters.

From what I remember the best oil filters were Wix, K&N, and mobile1. It had to do with how well the shell was constructed, how effective the anti-drain valve worked, and the type of material used in the filter. The above listed filters used a synthetic material (at least K&N and Mobile1) in the filter which was to perform better filtration when using synthetic oils.

The worst filter that comes to mind from the review was a Fram.

Oh yeah, I stick cheap magnets on it and the bottom of the oil pan. They were free, what the hey...

Anthropy said:
I can not find it anymore, but years ago someone posted an online review of oil filters. The reviewer use to work for one of the auto companies and did a detailed survey and disected many filters.

From what I remember the best oil filters were Wix, K&N, and mobile1. It had to do with how well the shell was constructed, how effective the anti-drain valve worked, and the type of material used in the filter. The above listed filters used a synthetic material (at least K&N and Mobile1) in the filter which was to perform better filtration when using synthetic oils.

The worst filter that comes to mind from the review was a Fram.

Mini-mopar study http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

I have a 88 XJ with the 4.0 and tried to find a larger filter. I found a corvette filter for an early 90s ZR1. I installed it and the anti-drainback valve either did not work or was not present. Every time I started I got a delay on pressure on the gauge until the filter was filled.

I tried different brands of filters to see if they help improve my oil pressure. I found using the AC Delco PF970C. I use to use the PF9 then GM redisgned that corvette filter & the PF9 and came out with the PF970C. I found I had 10 psi more oil pressure with this filter.

There is a write up on www.madxj.com on changing to a larger filter on Renix engines. He lists all the part numbers to do the converstion to the HO filter configuration. I decided to stay with the stock configuration, that big yellow sticker on the firewall saying use a metric thread oil filter.

The AC Delco is a decent filter and to get 10 more PSI I will go with it.

I resolved myself to 3,000 mile oil & filter changes.

Yes, the PF970C has a metric thread. I though I said that by saying I kept my rig stock.

I buy mine at O'Reilly Auto parts, it is kept behind the counter and I pay around $6 for the filter. I keep one on hand and then buy the next one after I finish my oil change. They only stock one and rather be one ahead than have them out of the filter the day I want to change oil.

Ok, thanks just making sure...this is the 'net afterall. I did some research on the PF970C and the Mobil M1-207 seems to be the alternate choice of most vette owners. Looks like I'll be trying out the mobil next oil change. Thanks for the info.

I am running the motorcraft FL1a on my 99 it holds a littel extra oil but not much
maybe 1/2 qt
the stock motorcraft is a FL300
I run m/c filters because I work at a Ford dealer and since I bought my XJ at that dealer I get Free oil changes from their "customer for life" program which also includes synthetic blend oil (yea I know big whoop) but what the hell its free so its for me
and actually the bigger FL1a filter is cheaper than the smaller FL300 filter
probably because its used on so many more vehicles (aka 5.0 trucks and mustangs and 4.6 stangs as well I beleive) so due to more being sold its cheaper to buy them at least through ford anyway
I have only had 1 oil change done on my jeep since I bought it (6k miles ago) but it doesnt appear to use any oil oil pressure seems to be real good and oil color stays pretty decent throughout the change interval
unfortunately the 1 down side to the cust for life program is you CANT get the oil changed any more frequent than 5k miles
but I guess since its syn blend an extra 1-2k miles isnt that bad especially if the color stays good through the interval and pressure stays good
I will keep an eye on it and if it starts getting dirty early I will just split the oil changes and do it every 3k and have them do the free oil change as every other change
but no matter what I plan on running the bigger filter at every change
I figure slightly more oil capacity and more filter element to get the dirt out
in no way can any of that be a bad thing for the engine

OttoBarn, Mobil 1 oil filters $8.95, at least here on LINY, don't know when sales ends

Back