• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheated now wont shift

mpncsnhs

NAXJA Forum User
First post one this forum, hopefully you guys can help. I have a 2000 sport 4.0l, the other day it overheated on the way home from work. let it cool down for a while and added some coolant started back home (about 5 miles) and just about 1/2 mile into the CEL came on and started acting funny, i pulled over and checked things over temp was fine and it idled fine so i took off again but it would not shift. I pulled of again and left it sit. Got home and talked with the chrysler garage and they said it probably is in limp mode. they told me to unhook battery and leave it for awhile and that should do it. So i did and it worked for about 2 miles this time. What could cause this anyone please help. By the way the overheating cracked the head. My jeep is in my garage torn apart waiting for my new head to come in so i can put it back together

i'd get the head fixed and then worry about it. you could have fried anything, and without knowing which code you actually threw, its hard to say.

i also hope you're "upgrading" your head and not just getting another 0331 head.

since your new to this site, do a search on the 2000 crack head issue. there are numerous threads about this and what head you should swap in.

I read all kinds of threads on the cracking head issue and am putting a 0331 head back on because I have one off a rolled YJ and i personally think that it is not as big a deal as the people make of it. I have 136k on mine and i bought it new in 99 so i know its never been touched before. You just cant let the 0331 head overheat. so to me it is a non issue but maybee if i wheeled i would worry about it, but thats what the rolled YJ is for. I was just mainly wondering what this "LIMP MODE" is i have never heard of it. and what overheating would do to cause this.

The Jeep will go into limp mode when there's a problem occuring that could cause significant damage to the engine and or transmission. It goes into this "limp mode" so that you can get to a safe place whether it be the side of the road or your destination and not be completely stranded with a dead Jeep.

I would definitely pull that code and see what it says. The CEL is not blinking at all is it?

Not to hijack but this happened to me once after getting bogged down in some mud up to the rockers. Winched myself out but on the way home the tranny wouldn't shift out of 3rd? I didn't overheat the engine but the tranny must have overheated. After I got home and it sat for a while everything was fine and shifting fine. Checked tranny fluid and all was fine, colour, level etc. Not sure what that was but I do have a tranny cooler but, what do you do.

Yeah I went through alot of water once and the tranny wouldn't shift, I had to pull the TCM and shift manually.

Maybe water got inside of the NSS, I don't know. It was fine the next morning. But I did realign the NSS and tighten it down and use some loc-tite.

I cleaned the NSS twice prior and sealed the case with RTV. But water could have entered through the short vent I suppose.

Just more food for thought.

Humor me for one min.. My dodge pick up does the same thing when i get down too a 1/4 tank of fuel.. Dealer said it was in the same mode.. Now i keep it above a half when in city driving..

mpncsnhs said:
I read all kinds of threads on the cracking head issue and am putting a 0331 head back on because I have one off a rolled YJ and i personally think that it is not as big a deal as the people make of it. I have 136k on mine and i bought it new in 99 so i know its never been touched before. You just cant let the 0331 head overheat. so to me it is a non issue but maybee if i wheeled i would worry about it, but thats what the rolled YJ is for. I was just mainly wondering what this "LIMP MODE" is i have never heard of it. and what overheating would do to cause this.

not a big deal, haha, tell that to all the people who have cracked the head on their 2000.

"you just cant let it overheat." ok, so the first time it over heats it cracks. that seems like a problem to me.

having owned cars for the past 25 years, ive only had 1 or 2 not overheat at some point for some odd reason or other. hose breaks, thermostat or water pump failure, the list goes on.

Matter of fact this is my 5th vehicle, first one to overheat as long as you keep up maintainance on your vehicle an overheat should not be that common

89xj said:
"you just cant let it overheat." ok, so the first time it over heats it cracks. that seems like a problem to me.

That can and often does happen on any vehicle, regardless of make. All depends on how bad and how long it gets hot.

99XJSPORT06 said:
That can and often does happen on any vehicle, regardless of make. All depends on how bad and how long it gets hot.

my 89 has overheated, no problem with the head.

Back