• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Output shaft play?

Jet noise

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA,

I've had my XJ for a couple of months now and in two weeks, I'm moving across the country. I plan to drive it on the trip which is 1,600 miles. The jeep is a 2001, with 231J t case, LP front d30, and 160k miles on the clock. I put a 3" RC lift on it when I bought it to clear 31s, and shortly afterward the u joints in the rear DS crapped out and I got the driveline vibes. I believe the u joints were the original factory installed joints! Now I've got new u joints in the rear and plan to do SYE when I get up north. But I'm not confident in my t case to make the trip. There is play in the rear output shaft, maybe 1/4" in and out and shifting the transmission into drive makes a hard clunk. How much play should there be in the rear output?

Worst case scenario is my t case or something else bites it on the way, I'll rent a u haul and tow it to the destination. But due to the cost factor, I'd rather not do that. I'm just wondering if I should worry about this. I don't have time left to do much in terms of maintenance but if any of you Have suggestions on what I could do to increase my chances of making the trip in one piece. Appreciate your inputs...

Last edited:
go to the junkyard and grab a another , lower mileage case ?
Hell, while you are there, check the other rear output shafts for play too.
you could also pull yours apart and replace any questionable parts, 231s are super easy to work on .

My '01 had the same problem about two years ago. Mine had so much play in it that it actually locked up and had to be towed home and never made it wheeling.

I agree with Blondejoncherokee, I picked a low mileage for 200 bucks and slapped it in, been running fine ever since.

Kept the old one, my plan is to rebuild it, beef it up if possible and install and SYE.

Good stuff, I'm looking for one around my new location. Btw the XJ made the trip, 1700 miles, three national parks, and while hauling 500lbs of my crap. I was so impressed. Then the next day it took a nap. Cam shaft sensor. All good now, back on the road!

Back