• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima 34/78 Bolt-in Battery Tray

Every time I see this thread updated, I am excited that the driver side Optima tray must be available.

Then I'm sad that its not.

Does the top bracket on the Universal Battery Tray work with Odyssey batteries?

Checking in. Need a new tray. You shipping out yet?

I'd skip DB altogether. Unless he has changed something, the 34/78 I have does not fit into the tray that he claims it should. Service was fast, until I had a problem, then he magically disappears and hasn't responded once.

I'd skip DB altogether. Unless he has changed something, the 34/78 I have does not fit into the tray that he claims it should. Service was fast, until I had a problem, then he magically disappears and hasn't responded once.

I would be curious to see pictures of what isn't fitting.

I am running the DB tray and an Optima yellow top, and it all fits fine. I wonder if Optima has made a change? That could pose a problem down the road.

Has he finished his move? He said he would be moving out of CA and sitting up else where so he would be hard to get in touch with.
I guess we could look at his site.

EDIT
Here you go if i did it right.
https://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/dirtbound_is_moving

EDIT 2
Hey i did, not bad for this old guy.

My redtop doesnt fit either. Im not sure if its because of the plaster holder that came in the lid of the optima that you need to secure it to the tray or the hole pre drilled in the tray. My plastic holder was a little rough looking and even though it has that groove that the bolt goes through for adjustability it will not move close enough to fully secure the battery. You can either open up the slit on the plastic holder piece so that it can slide tight against battery or re drill the hole in the tray that it bolts to. I will take pics in a few to show what im talking about as i have not fixed mine yet.

This is what I'm working with. The battery slides around about 1/2". You can see that the plastic holder piece just can't get close enough to secure it

image.jpg

I am running the DB tray and an Optima yellow top, and it all fits fine. I wonder if Optima has made a change? That could pose a problem down the road.

I guess I screwed up my edit and didn't hit submit..? I was referring to the universal tray that I inquired about earlier in this thread. The tray is not wide enough and the battery will not sit down in the tray basically.
Sorry for any Optima related confusion.

I just checked the ticket system and see your email, though I don't see any photos attached. If you can send them in I can take a look and correct the issue.

Has he finished his move? He said he would be moving out of CA and sitting up else where so he would be hard to get in touch with.
I guess we could look at his site.

EDIT
Here you go if i did it right.
https://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/dirtbound_is_moving

EDIT 2
Hey i did, not bad for this old guy.

Yup, the last month and a half I have been incognito moving both the house and the shop. Getting everything setup and lining up all new suppliers, not a easy task for a one man crew. I should have the new CNC table from Bulltear in the next few weeks and then I will be back to 100% speed.

The shutdown is also letting me work on a few design changes and change the way a few of the items are made, i.e. some parts will now be laser cut / formed vs plasma cut. The battery trays are one of those items as they are so popular I would rather have 20-30 on the shelf at any time. But I want to make sure they are correct before doing so.

My goal is a higher in stock ratio of parts than build to order, as no one wants to wait for parts to be made.

My redtop doesnt fit either. Im not sure if its because of the plaster holder that came in the lid of the optima that you need to secure it to the tray or the hole pre drilled in the tray. My plastic holder was a little rough looking and even though it has that groove that the bolt goes through for adjustability it will not move close enough to fully secure the battery. You can either open up the slit on the plastic holder piece so that it can slide tight against battery or re drill the hole in the tray that it bolts to. I will take pics in a few to show what im talking about as i have not fixed mine yet.

Tomorrow I will be going to NAPA and buying a red top to verify fitment, if it needs a design change I will make the necessary changes and update the production. I will also send you guys a replacement box with the improvements.

Checking in. Need a new tray. You shipping out yet?

I will be verifying fitment tomorrow, and then making any changes that are needed. After that I should have some ready to go in the next few days.

This is what I'm working with. The battery slides around about 1/2". You can see that the plastic holder piece just can't get close enough to secure it

Out of curiosity did you install this piece on the other side of the battery?

109038d1283203577-optima-battery-hold-downs-dsc01697.jpg

So far I've had a red top (killed it doing dead winching) a yellow top (5 year old battery that went bad) and a blue top in my DB battery tray and they all have fit without issue.

Last edited:

Is that the one you bought from me? It fits fine because I welded up the original hole and redrilled so that the battery wouldn't shift around. I had the same issue as the other guys are reporting with this tray.

I didn't have the plastic piece that Sideways posted a pic of however.

Back