• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions wanted on a quieter ride.

Auto-makers like BMW and Mercedes spray urethane foam into the door pillars to isolate road noise. I suppose you could do the same to the rear quarters. I sure wouldn't want to be the one to have to dig it out for any rust repair or to pound out any dents!

I think i'm going to go the rubber mat route written about on this thread. It sounds like a good solid economical option.

Now all I have to do is dip the rear hatch in lead to isolate the noise that SOB makes. I know it's the shabby plastic covering that's doing all the talking and I've considered covering it with Nuagahyde because, well, it's the one thing I haven't tried yet. That or you can go all the way like these guys did. Jobs like that cost a pretty penny, though.

jtl909 said:
Now all I have to do is dip the rear hatch in lead to isolate the noise that SOB makes. I know it's the shabby plastic covering that's doing all the talking and I've considered covering it with Nuagahyde because, well, it's the one thing I haven't tried yet. That or you can go all the way like these guys did. Jobs like that cost a pretty penny, though.
That is a really good idea, but like you said, expensive.
Does anyone have a similar product that is cheaper?

Starboard M said:
cover it with hushmat

what exactly is hushmat??

my opinion: i notice a huge difference in road noise when the rear seat is folded down, which makes me conclude that the rear quarter panel areas, the hatch, and the cargo area are not well deadened

so i would definately start there

anything behind the rear seat is noisy... just unscrew the side panels, and you'll see. the floor isn't too bad, but the wheel wells are pretty noisy, so much that I think that a rear door is cracked open when I'm on wet roads.

I concentrated on getting rid of the noise from Xj. I used E-Dead off ebay. preaty inexpensive as far as material cost go. I think 1 roll did most of the jeep, cant remember now. Cleaned and painted everything first. It's a 92 and the only rust spot was a dime size above the cat that I just sanded, primed and painted with the paint made to cover rust. I sprayed the inner panels where ever i could w/ spray undercoating. Installed new rug and made a hard deck in the back. You wont notice a big difference till you put the headliner and pannels back in. You could tell the difference with every step. The tunes where sounding better too. I bought a cheap camo blanket at a discount store and used it for the hard deck, this cut down allot on noise. When I changed the door and gate weather strips it got even better. I had an interior shop re-do my door pannels, which was the last thing to do since I was driving arond with out them. They used extra padding and made a carpeted pocket like the Waggy has. Worked out great. Not a caddy but very nice.

i

Just one more note. I also sued one of insulating batts with the foil cover for extra insul in the rear quarters and under the rear seat. If you remove the whole interior and do things while it's still on the road youll notice each improvment. Spent maybe $100 or so on everything except upholstery shop. shops can be very expensive, door panel $200 ea. Headliner not to bad at $300 including visors w/pockets and soundbar, also extra insul because they use foam backing. I bought a new rug and got lazy to install and asked them for a price. When they said $350 i got over it. Mind you it only had the drivers seat in it. Took me about 40 min to install.

Hushmat is basically the same thing as all other "sound deadners", their are two kinds: Asphalt (can stink, can heat up and peel off) and Butyl rubber they are thin, self adhesive usually thick Aluminum foil backed... And almost without exception they cost over 20 dollars (the best costs much more, try as much as 48 dollars a square for Dynamat Extreme) per square foot. Butle is more effective and more expensive.

The cheapest is not a sound deadner it is a roofing and siding/Flashing asphalt product called "peel and stick" which is reputed to melt and sag and stink when it gets hot in the summer. But it is very similar to other cheap Asphalt sound deadners that cost 15 dollars more a square foot.

Back