• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinion on rock rails.

So what if your pinch seam is royally screwed........can you still install AJ's rails or am I gonna have to design my own??

The pinch seam on my drivers side is crushed in so there is no possible way of mounting on there!!

~Nick

If your pinch seam is wasted then my guess its you're way past mounting any bolt-on protection. I'd say it's time to do some custom body fab and mount some real steel with your welder to take the abuse your dishing it.:firedevil

XJCreeper said:
If your pinch seam is wasted then my guess its you're way past mounting any bolt-on protection. I'd say it's time to do some custom body fab and mount some real steel with your welder to take the abuse your dishing it.:firedevil

Well the rocker was wasted when I bought it, I bought it rolled from some dumb lady!!! So I guess I better get creative huh?? I'm sure I can figure something out!! Thanks!

~Nick

Starscream918 said:
I'll go ahead and throw this out there: AJ's super rails in either 1/8" or 3/16" - it's your choice. Both the Detours and TNT systems are overpriced IMO (that's not to say they aren't very nice, though). My super rails were shipped to my door for ~$210.

My AJs came with a "twisted" mounting plate. (One of the rectangular plates the bolt to the "frame rail".) It doesn't affect the performance or anything, but it still bothers me. Maybe I'm just anal that way.

Other than that, the rails are nice, good welds, etc.

I looked around and finally looked at AJ's - great rails/great price. I e-mailed and did not hear anything. I called and he answered the phone and took my order. He is having some difficulty with his ISP and e-mail. I can't wait to get them and check them out. 1/8" super rock rails for $240 shipped to my door in OHIO! I will post when they arrive to give an update.

2000 Sport, 4.0, AW15, 231. --- RE 6030 3.5 super flex kit, track bar, DT3000 shocks, Warn tcase skid, Tomken gas tank skid, AJ's rock rails, and General 265/70/16 AT2 all on the way for the new year. Yeah baby!

Well, all the stuff is on, including the rock rails. They are very well built and look good. The mounts on the AJ's Armor rails are very stout and they were easy to install. I had a very good experience with AJ and would recommend his rails. I will be in line for front and rear bumpers from him soon.

XJCreeper said:
Not true, Kevin's Jeep Parts makes a very high quality set of rock sliders that don't tie in to the pinch seam. The two straight bars that run from the slider to the frame rail have L shaped brackets that take two 3/8" bolts per flange (4 per attach point, 8 per side) for a very strong attach point. He shows how they passed the Hi-Lift test (jacking the Jeep up off the ground by the nerf bar, no bending or tearing) His newer design is the one in the bottom pic with square tube.

http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/xj/xj_sliderz_1.html

fubar XJ said:
Not true, Kevin's Jeep Parts makes a very high quality set of rock sliders that don't tie in to the pinch seam. The two straight bars that run from the slider to the frame rail have L shaped brackets that take two 3/8" bolts per flange (4 per attach point, 8 per side) for a very strong attach point. He shows how they passed the Hi-Lift test (jacking the Jeep up off the ground by the nerf bar, no bending or tearing) His newer design is the one in the bottom pic with square tube.

http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/xj/xj_sliderz_1.html

I personally think it would be crazy to buy some sliders that do not tie into the pinch seam... If your pinch seam is messed up.. just bend it back and reinforce it. I mean the majority of sliders are bolted to the pinch seam because when combinded w/ the frame mounts its one solid unit. Just the frame mounts are not very strong because the steel is going to bend on impact. The legs and mounts at the frame are there to keep the unit from pivoting.

I went Rocky Road. If I had more time, I would have gone AJ's

Whatever anyone gets, I recomend sliders that stick out beyond the body.
Saved my body yesterday. I felt/heard a few hard hits.

Jason

I have Kevins Square rails on my Thumper XJ. To date Ive rubbed against big rocks, a concrete wall and those concrete bases on the lightpoles in a parking lot, dropped on big rocks, tree stumps, and an old wrecked car, had a shopping cart and a car door rammed into them, (The car door was funny, cause the parking space hog who was mad that he couldnt get into his drivers side door because my wife parked in her space next to him straight and true thought that he was gonna ding our door. HA! He ended up creasing his own door edge really bad, with a resounding CLANK!) And I must say, even though they dont tie into the pinch seam, they sit RIGHT against the body so tight that they seem like they do. I have yet to bend them at all, or even be concerned for such. VERY happy with them. They make a killer CLANK sound when kicked with steel toed boots as well, and I even liked the price.:D

The AJ's Armor rails tie in to the pinch seam at 4 places on each side, and a front mount that bolts to the frame rail, and a rear mount that bolts to the frame rail and to the spring hanger bracket. Very silid. He had the rails in stock when I called and the only problem was getting FedEx to pick them up during the Christmas/New Years week out at his place which is apparently in the middle of no where! Once picked up, they were here in 3 days and the price was certainly right! I think he does great work. The fit was excellent. He even includes a drill bit for the self tapping bolts at the frame rail mounts. Again, a pleasure doing buisness with, and a great product. I will do buisness again. I hope to get a rear bumper and possibly a front from him as well. Just my 2 bits.

Starscream918 said:
Supernerfs are great, but at $400 they're questionable. The same goes for TNT's setup.

not quite $400. I think I sell them for less than $350 shipped.

uhhh....lemme take a looksie. yeah, $346.99 shipped. JKS direct they're $412 +ship

I don't know who else deals JKS or what they do on pricing. I'm not gonna give you any links, I'm not a sponsor, and this is my personal account.

Jason-RJR said:
not quite $400. I think I sell them for less than $350 shipped.

uhhh....lemme take a looksie. yeah, $346.99 shipped. JKS direct they're $412 +ship

I don't know who else deals JKS or what they do on pricing. I'm not gonna give you any links, I'm not a sponsor, and this is my personal account.
Can you say where you found those prices? Giving links doesn't make you a pusher, it makes things easy for those looking to buy. Everywhere I've looked they are that price but do not include shipping. Shipping isn't cheap for items that big...

Starscream918 said:
Can you say where you found those prices? Giving links doesn't make you a pusher, it makes things easy for those looking to buy. Everywhere I've looked they are that price but do not include shipping. Shipping isn't cheap for items that big...

Here's a link, they're on page 2. The shipping catch comes into play with our free shipping promotion on orders over $100

http://www.rjroffroad.com/JKS-Manufacturing-m-19.html

Here are some pictures of the AJ's rails.

DSCN1074.jpg
First in primer,

DSCN1076.jpg
then painted,

DSCN1070.jpg
then during install,

DSCN1084.jpg
then final.

No more dinged doors for me. I have not had the chance to try them out offroad yet. Lots of protection for the $.

Back