• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinion on rock rails.

I have the JCR stage 2's and they are great if you do not have wheels that don't stick out they may look funny. I have 3.75 and they match up great with the tires. The bolts on the pinch weld could be a PITA but once they are in everything is real stout. I'll try to post some pics if you want.

Stone Dragon said:
A trip to Valley Steel for some 2x2x.120, the Home DePot for hardware, and 2 weekends worth of work...... $78

Yup, made my own as well. Just need to bend up the tube for the outer rail, total cost about $140aud which is about $100usd. Took about 1 1/2 days but haven't done the tube yet (waiting for a mate to bend it for me).

Cheers
Steve

don't have mine on yet, but after anticipating AJ taking a while to get back to me and ship them out, I think I had them in my garage about two weeks after my first email. I'd give him another shot. My .02

josh

Anyone have any experience with the Trail Hunter sliders? His concept sounds interesting, but I can't find anyone who has them.

I've got the C4x4 Fab 2" square rails on mine and I just beat the snot out of 'em at Crozet last weekend. Never budged and barely scratched the powder coat.

C4x4 Fab has done really well by me on front and rear bumpers as well. Consider them after you take a look at their site.

HTH

I have these ,fit is very good and workmanship is great. Do the job I need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROCK...007QQitemZ170016683041QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

rr4.jpg

ml1.jpg

Excuse the crappy pics

What you do, is get 10' of 2x4 tube.
Then, you cut it in half.
Next, you weld them to the rockers.
Finally, you paint them.

I sorry to say my C4x4 failed me at the Rubicon.
rockslam.jpg

With a BFH we were able to straighten out the C4x4 rails pretty good but the rocker panel has suffered. Not much of the C4x4 slider sticks out so it was a tough angle to bang out and got the door a few times. The passenger side is similar but not as bad.

For what I can tell ya any rock slider that relies mainly on the pinch seam to hold up the outer edge of the slider will have this big weakness on steep decents over big rocks. For sliding cool. For rockcrawling with bad. So now that the rocker is a tad bent I'm thinking about this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91434
I've gotta beef up the puny pinch seam if I want to play in the rocks. Also the rear brakes. Rock Slammers here I come!

moz-screenshot.jpg
i have something very similar to the olympic 4x4 double tube nerfs... they tuck in really nicely and bolt on plus i welded them in sections to increase rigidity... mine are a little more together than the olympics and are super beefy... definatly a need for the xj unibody - i have seen only tnt's so i can not comment on ajs but the tnt are very well made

aparke4 said:
moz-screenshot.jpg
i have something very similar to the olympic 4x4 double tube nerfs... they tuck in really nicely and bolt on plus i welded them in sections to increase rigidity... mine are a little more together than the olympics and are super beefy... definatly a need for the xj unibody - i have seen only tnt's so i can not comment on ajs but the tnt are very well made
You can't host an image from your hard drive.
You will need a hosting site.
Try tinypic.com or something similar.

here are some pics of the stage II rails from JCR rattle canned black

click to make em bigger

AJ's is what i have as well. they are all banmged up but still holding up fine. especially for the price shipped from Iowa or something like that. cant beat it....

EricsXJ said:
And then after a few realy good hits, you realize that you shoulda tied them into the frame rails too...
If you say so.....
Of course, I wouldn't know anything about how they work......
:rolleyes:

:shocked: madxj's got some good writeups on that.... can't see how they'd bend without taking the side of the jeep with it tho.... lot's o' work. on the fab side...

acrid said:
:shocked: madxj's got some good writeups on that.... can't see how they'd bend without taking the side of the jeep with it tho.... lot's o' work. on the fab side...

They can and I've seen it happen... on two XJs. When you weld in a 2x4 or 2x6 rail in place of the rocker panel, it is attached to the thin sheet metal of the body. Even though the support is spread out over a big area, one or two big hits can bend the body or after time it can be weakened to the point it can bend. I wish I had pics of my friends setup - after his body bent pretty severely, he fixed it (works at a body shop) and welded some supports tieing it in to the frame rail. I love how he did it and it looks absolutely sick! He also plated his frame rails too and thats a big plus...

99GreenMachine said:
Thanks for the opinions guys. Yea, I talked to AJ a few times and it was always well i am working on making more. then i wouldnt hear from him, then i wrote him again and said the same thing. it was like 3 times.He has nice rails and also very good pricing but i like good customer service also. Thanks guys.
Hey I'd like to apologize for that. I'll be the first person to admit that in this last year I've "dropped the ball" more than once. I let the stresses of a VERY ugly divorce get the best of me and couldn't even work in my own shop fulltime. Anyways, things are back on track FINALLY and I'm back in the shop 100%.

EricsXJ said:
They can and I've seen it happen... on two XJs. When you weld in a 2x4 or 2x6 rail in place of the rocker panel, it is attached to the thin sheet metal of the body. Even though the support is spread out over a big area, one or two big hits can bend the body or after time it can be weakened to the point it can bend. I wish I had pics of my friends setup - after his body bent pretty severely, he fixed it (works at a body shop) and welded some supports tieing it in to the frame rail. I love how he did it and it looks absolutely sick! He also plated his frame rails too and thats a big plus...

:sure:

that's what i said..... ..... without taking the side of the jeep with it tho.....
just thought i'd point that out.... i never said it wouldn't bend, just that it would take the side with it if it did... sorry if i wasn't clear.... sounds like your buddy solved that issue tho.... :roll:

AJsArmor said:
Hey I'd like to apologize for that. I'll be the first person to admit that in this last year I've "dropped the ball" more than once. I let the stresses of a VERY ugly divorce get the best of me and couldn't even work in my own shop fulltime. Anyways, things are back on track FINALLY and I'm back in the shop 100%.

Hope things worked out ok for you AJ and glad to see you back in business. Divorces are hell.:firedevil The future is what matters. Keep your head up and stick on the ice.

Back