• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open headers on my trailrig

Yes you ignorant Hillbilly :D, "Federally Mandated". Just because you are are unaware of the law, does not mean it does not affect you. It is also not a new law, it has been on the books since Catalytic converters were installed on vehicles.

As far as "harm" to your fellow drivers, what about everyone else on the planet? Did you measure emissions to make sure it polluted no more than it would have if it had a new converter? Of course you didn't, silly me. :dunce:

It also fits into the Tread Lightly (tm) philosophy to keep all your emissions equipment in top working order.

A while back, I posted something to the effect that if you wheel long enough, you come to appreciate this place we call America, and you become an environmentalist. I wish I could find the quote, it was a good one.
actually it doesnt affect me. there are no emissions tests in this state. ive never been asked if i have a cat but i have been asked what i have under the hood by people who like my exhaust note. i am by no means someone who doesnt care about maintaining the environment but i do take offense to someone who try to impose their beliefs on me.

actually it doesnt affect me. there are no emissions tests in this state. ive never been asked if i have a cat but i have been asked what i have under the hood by people who like my exhaust note. i am by no means someone who doesnt care about maintaining the environment but i do take offense to someone who try to impose their beliefs on me.

It doesn't affect you thats your reasoning? It people like you who make the enviro-nazi's come after us. Its not the fact that its his personal belief it is indeed federally mandated so that means if you get pulled over for your loud exhaust you WILL get a ticket so in turn it does affect you. Indiana has no testing either but if you have no cat you get a ticket! I will keep my cat and if it goes bad i will replace it. Not having it does you no good. It doesn't add horsepower, It sounds worse, and it emits more gases into our all ready messed up atmosphere(no i don't believe in global warming either)! quit being cheap and fix it!

I take it you missed the PurpleCherokee fiasco? :dunno:

I never thought i would say it but i am totally with Zuki Ron on this!

Last edited:

Its not a "belief",its the "law".You bring bad PR the 4x4 world.

has anyone actually known someone who has gotten a ticket for no cat? i just cant see that happening to me. im not going to get pulled over for for it being too loud cause its not that loud. noone would ever know without someone looking down there or me telling them.

btw, i recycle.

Last edited:
has anyone actually known someone who has gotten a ticket for no cat?

Dude its federally mandated! If you get pulled over and the officer happens to look under your car and it has no cat you CAN by law be given a ticket and probably a BIG fine!

BTW i am done posting in this thread so i don't get another infraction! :D Close this thread before it gets out of hand PLEASE!

Last edited:
NOMINATED!

what years had cats down there? We have three in my family an 89,92 and 93 , only the 93 has a cat, I have replaced the "intermediate pipe" on my 89 with prebent pipe with a flange up front from a parts store and there is no resonator or cat in it.

United States Code said:
for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or
Source

In addition, an official Memo from the United States EPA clearly stating you are NOT to remove your cat FOR ANY REASON can be found HERE.

my '93 had no cat when i got it. my '95 had a cat.

Umm My 87 has a Cat, My 88 has a cat and my 95 that I had has a cat. My M1028 does not have one but it was about the time that they were dickin aroudn with them. Oh and 87 has it listed as optional when you go to parts store. I run a straight pipe on my 88, it has a cat it still sounds beefy, like boat motor outta the water. Do the environment, yourself, and the rest of your trailer court a favor and get a universal or high flow cat and slap it in there. We have enough greenies going through our hobbies looking for things that they can do to shut down what trails are left, follow the law. The laws are like guide lines, however they are not optional.Hasta

i like this part:
lunghd.com said:
These are intended ONLY for use OUTSIDE THE U.S.A. or for OFFROAD USE ONLY to, um, 'enhance your off road vehicle's original exhaust system appearance" for , um, 'OFFROAD VEHICLE EXHAUST SHOWS'".

...All I wanted to know was whether the popopopopop was bad. I was sort of worried this would happen. At least I've seen another cat vs. no cat argument, that might break the 100,000 mark.

...All I wanted to know was whether the popopopopop was bad. I was sort of worried this would happen. At least I've seen another cat vs. no cat argument, that might break the 100,000 mark.

No, it got off on a tangent, but this didn't help :)
XJ98Jeep said:
...And for the record, I live in FL so I don't need a cat...

That statement is false. Look into Florida Statutes 316.2935, and 316.610.

To answer your question about the popping, it's normal. The reason for it is that not all fuel is burned in the cylinders, especially durring decelleration. The unspent hot fuel mixture makes it into the exhaust system, where on contact with air it ignites making the popping sound you hear. No harm to engine I assure you.

To my fellow Floridian,

You probably live in a a good part of Florida. In some neighbourhoods here in South Florida, you will be pulled over if you have a loud exhaust. The cop will then look under the vehicle to see if the exhaust was modified in any way and ticketed if it was modified from OEM;... that includes removing the cat.

What if the same modified exhaust is not loud?

If it is not loud, you will not get pulled over modified or not.

As mentioned on this forum some time ago, there is no vehicle inspection here in Florida. All a vehicle need is a place to hang the liscence tag and it is good to go. However, the Federal law still applies regarding the cat

-sigh- You legally have to have a cat everywhere in the US. Some states don't do inspections/emissions (FL) but you still are required by law to have a cat. I think I'm just going to start another thread, since this one has obviously turned into a cat war.

And Techno, this car is registered in FL but I actually live in GA. It's just easier to say I live in FL. I know I legally need a cat, but the cops round here won't pull you over unless you're actually doing something wrong or they're pissed off. I've never seen them check a car for a cat though.

Can someone just really quickly explain the popopopopopop in between arguing about cats? Then I have no problem letting this thread turn into one of thems.

Ah yea;... Sorry I forgot the reason for the post ....

Popping inthe exhaust usually come from un-burnt fuel igniting in the exhaust piping. It is unusal for it to happen in injected engines but have heard of it. It was / is very common in carbouretted engines especially with high advanced timing, high float level and bad or incorrectly set breaker points.

Unusall for an injected engine because the injector should only fire at a time that allow all the fuel to be burned completly, or does it? :dunno:

My theoretical knowledge of the software algorethm in computer controlled vehicles needs lesson 101. :dunce:

I did explain it, didn't you understand it?

Edit:
zuki-ron said:
To answer your question about the popping, it's normal. The reason for it is that not all fuel is burned in the cylinders, especially durring decelleration. The unspent hot fuel mixture makes it into the exhaust system, where on contact with air it ignites making the popping sound you hear. No harm to engine I assure you.

Last edited:
Back