• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Only in a JEEP: new height world record in a JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

That's 21804.46 feet, or a little over 4 miles above sea level.

man thats pretty amazing considering, Did they turn the throttle body different or something, I remember going up in Tahoe you can tell the difference between sea-level and 7,000 feet and thats three times that. The more I read the more impressed I am.

Arran said:
Seems fishy to me. Not very official.

Sorry man.......I am jeep lover also, but let me tell you that this IS official....it´s a matter of hours to be publicated by Guinness. I know Gonzalo (the driver) pretty well, and I can tell you that they went further than the German expedition...

Arran said:
pato castro said:
Hello, this is my first post in this forum, and i want to tell you that the record has been broken, by a Suzuki Samurai (webpage is spanish):

Seems fishy to me. Not very official.

He drove past the sign posted by the Jeep expedition, and brought it back.

Doesn't get much more official than that.

I believe I'd be more impressed with him if he had taken a "stock" Sammi up there. If I outfitted an XJ correctly I could beat him....
But, it's too cold up there for me.

IGOCOMMANDO said:
I believe I'd be more impressed with him if he had taken a "stock" Sammi up there. If I outfitted an XJ correctly I could beat him....

I´m more impressed about having the balls to go there only with your spotter and financed with your own pocket.
DC gave 7 brand new vehicles for the German expedition and they were almost 20 people.
Again, I LOVE JEEPS, I own a TJ, XJ, Waggy, and a M38, but the fact of having a big dollar group shouting to the whole world ONLY IN A JEEP made me puke.

IGOCOMMANDO said:

Well, just bring me 6 more cars and 18 more people and and I will put a stock Zook up here.

Is not a matter to outfit an XJ, is a matter of be able to drive a whole day at 22.000ft. Whatever the car is.-

Jeepin Jason said:
from one of the pics, it looks like he tore up the sign. what an a-hole.

Sorry guys, you should be more carefull, as described on Pirate4X4, such part of the sign was laying on the ground in the middle of the volcano. At that a time was only a trash, that I bring home. The "Jeep parking only" part must to be laying till now.

The wind is pretty strong and you can not even think that a plastic sheet will resist such wind.

And also since the Ojos del Salado Volcano is in the middle of a National Park, the previous expedition also shouldn't have left any sign there, so Gonzalo , asides of winning back the Guinness record, you also cleaned the place , bravo !! :D

Congratulation for Chile and the expeditioners.-

I think next year the german are gonna come with an helicopter to get that altitude.-

best regards from Atacama Desert

I still am more impressed that a STOCK jeep made it where it took a Heavily modified Zuke to beat. :cheers:

Regardless of rig, that would be an awesome trip!

Ghost said:
I still am more impressed that a STOCK jeep made it where it took a Heavily modified Zuke to beat. :cheers:
Hi Ghost,

I'd just like to know what "stock" means to you, in this case:

Stock Rubicon Unlimited 2007:
- V6 3778cc engine
- Diff ratio: 4.1:1
- Transfer Case: 1:1/4:1
- First gear: 4.46:1
- Front & Rear manually locking diffs
Estimated price: 28.000 US$

"Heavily modified Zuke":
- L4 1600 engine
- Diff ratio: 5.12:1
- Transfer Case: 1.58:1/4.16:1
- First Gear: 3.8:1
- Front&Rear ARB
Estimated price: Priceless

The 2007 Suzuki equivalent to the Samurai is the Jimny:
- L4 1328cc engine
- Diff ratio: 4.3:1
- Transfer Case: 1:1/2:1
- First gear: 4.43:1
- Front & Rear open diffs
Estimated price: 15.000 US$

I think it's fair to put a 1:4.16 TC, front&rear ARB lockers, better tires, 3" lift to the Jimny, that would raise it's price less than 3.000 US$, give me 6 support vehicles and 500.000 US$ and I'll take them to the same place that Gonzalo reached...

Don't forget too that it was a Volkwagen Touareg that arrived at 6.080mt at that same volcano on 2005, and I must say that it's not a vehicle designed to do serious off-roading like the Rubicon.

My 2 cents...

Roberto

BTW. Congrats Gonzalo, to do it almost alone and in just one day, WOW

Last edited:
Back