• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

olympic top-hat roof rack

I havent seen any orders going to newmexico yet. We have sent some to q-tec truck freight, and then they are shipping them out. Those have been stock orders so that they can ship directly from them. you should see them soon.

olympic4x4tech said:
I havent seen any orders going to newmexico yet. We have sent some to q-tec truck freight, and then they are shipping them out. Those have been stock orders so that they can ship directly from them. you should see them soon.

Yep, it looks like one of those was mine. They have a tracking number online, so it must not be a drop-ship.

for that price is it every thing, subcarrier and basket or is it just for the sub carrier? And how strong is it, does it vibrate or make noises when traveling at speed?

It is everything. the side rails, the cross rails, basket floor, basket top. I have everything installed on mine and it doesnt make any noticable noise, but then again i cant hear anything anyways. I did notice some noise when i had 2 8" lights mounted on it. I had one guy just install the floor so he could get into his garage and he doesnt have any noise. As far as weight capacity.. how much weight do you really want to drie around with? I say about 500lbs evenly distributed, but personally i dont like drivign with weight on my roof. No sway bars, lots of travel, and 250 lbs on the roof makes it a little scary. Ive had 7 33" tires mounted on steel rims and drove about 300 miles with no problems except it doesnt handle like an indy car.

OK guys I got the rack and had it installed, all I can say is it's simply awesome! very tough and rugged, looks like it could hold up a a lot of abuse. the side rails look like they could provide good protection against trees, the way they are built you could even incorporate them into your exo pretty nicely. The only complant I have about it is the directions wern't real clear and it was missing a bolt other then that though it is great!

Hi Erik,

I received my rack several weeks ago, and I've been very happy with it. UPS gave the box hell, but everything was fine except for some scratches and some bent ends on the square floor tubes. I was able to bend those out a little with a screwdriver, and everything went together fine. Little plastic plugs of some kind might do a lot to protect them during shipping.

To be honest, I was amazed at how solid the basket is. There's a lot more triangulation in the round post setup than is obvious to the eye. I can stand on the top rail of the basket and shake the whole jeep back and forth without any movement of the top rail relative to the floor. (or the rack relative to the jeep; those 6 gutter mounts are darned solid.)

I received the end caps for the side rails that you sent me; thanks. That does help a lot on highway noise. You had mentioned some kind of front spoiler/airfoil was in the works to improve mileage. Any news on that? I'd love to get one.

Thanks!
fiz

id bet it looks something similar to this:

Thule_racks_870_fairing_standard_wind_shield_xlg.jpg

fizassist said:
Hi Erik,

I received my rack several weeks ago, and I've been very happy with it. UPS gave the box hell, but everything was fine except for some scratches and some bent ends on the square floor tubes. I was able to bend those out a little with a screwdriver, and everything went together fine. Little plastic plugs of some kind might do a lot to protect them during shipping.

To be honest, I was amazed at how solid the basket is. There's a lot more triangulation in the round post setup than is obvious to the eye. I can stand on the top rail of the basket and shake the whole jeep back and forth without any movement of the top rail relative to the floor. (or the rack relative to the jeep; those 6 gutter mounts are darned solid.)

I received the end caps for the side rails that you sent me; thanks. That does help a lot on highway noise. You had mentioned some kind of front spoiler/airfoil was in the works to improve mileage. Any news on that? I'd love to get one.

Thanks!
fiz

Got Pics of it from several angles and of the mounting? Thanks!

I have question for OLYMPIC4X4TECH. Several months ago I sent an email and received one back from you guys about just buying the bottom portion of the rack without the basket. At that time the reply was that it was going to be made available without the basket. Is it still going to be available without the basket?? I would like to have just the side bars and the cross bars.
Plus if I lift more it will stand a better chance of fitting thru the garage door.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Timbo

im currently running the olympic top-hat roof rack and i love it. the side rails are super strong and could take some beating offroad. the basket it self is stronger then i expected. my friend paid some big bucks for a confer rack and the flooring kit for that is a joke. he has his tire mounted on it and the whole floor bounces around. as for the olympic rack i have tested it pretty good so far. i had a 200lbs snow blower up on it, me- about 200lbs and my friend -also about 200lbs, and my spare - 33x12.5. it barely even flexed the basket. as for adding noise i think it added some squeeks because it stiffened up the whole roof section so much. ive been nothing but happy with this rack. as far as light mounts go there are 2 front and 2 rear. if thats not enough for you there are light mount brakets that are out there that im sure you can mount onto this as well. you can see some of the pics i have at my cardomain page, heres the link
www.cardomain.com/id/fluidmotion

Timbo said:
I have question for OLYMPIC4X4TECH. Several months ago I sent an email and received one back from you guys about just buying the bottom portion of the rack without the basket. At that time the reply was that it was going to be made available without the basket. Is it still going to be available without the basket?? I would like to have just the side bars and the cross bars.
Plus if I lift more it will stand a better chance of fitting thru the garage door.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Timbo

did anything ever come of this?

Back