• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

okay, try this one smart guys...

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
Since I got my new XJ (the '91), the power seats have not worked. Any ideas? And for those guys who think they're really good, my brake lights don't work. I changed the bulbs, and they still don't. All of the other lights work (hazards, tail lights, turn signals, reverse lights, etc.), just no brake lights. :dunno: This could be a slight problem considering the cops around here are a$$holes. Anyway, thanks alot!

have you checked the little switch at the brake pedal lever to see if it's any good??? Power seats?? They belong in the garbage with all other power accessories :)

freewithfire said:
Since I got my new XJ (the '91), the power seats have not worked. Any ideas? And for those guys who think they're really good, my brake lights don't work. I changed the bulbs, and they still don't. All of the other lights work (hazards, tail lights, turn signals, reverse lights, etc.), just no brake lights. :dunno: This could be a slight problem considering the cops around here are a$$holes. Anyway, thanks alot!

Yep, the brake light switch.

Check for shorts, ground wires ect...

I agree on the power systems thing roXJeepr! They go :flame: !!! To easy to break and not worth the trouble to keep em up. Plus, they get in the way when I take my doors off like on my old XJ!!! ;) Anyway, I'm gonna put racing seats in it when I get some extra cash anyway, so screw it, I just thought I'd ask. Now I feel like a total dunce :dunce: , but can anybody tell me where that switch is or what it looks like for the brake lights, cause I tried lookin, and didn't see it...pics perhaps?

Why is it that YOU not having brake lights = "cops around here are a$$holes" ??? I mean, the brake lights are only there as a safety device so the driver behind you can see you stopping...

Break out the multimeter, and check to see that the brake switch is working and that you're getting juice to the taillights.

Yucca-Man said:
Why is it that YOU not having brake lights = "cops around here are a$$holes" ??? I mean, the brake lights are only there as a safety device so the driver behind you can see you stopping...

Nah, my brake lights have nothing to do with it, the majority of them are just genuine dicks! :moon: But hey, that's just my opinion...Thanks for the advice though!

freewithfire said:
This could be a slight problem considering the cops around here are a$$holes. Anyway, thanks alot!

It certainly sounds to me like you seem to have the two matters connected in your mental processes.

Lack of taillights will be a lot more than a "slight" problem if you stop suddenly and the guy behind rear-ends you because you don't have brake lights. Regardless of your opinion of the local gendarmerie, that's operating with defective equipment and it's one of the few times in a rear-ender that the hittee is at fault rather than the hitter.

Okay nevermind the cop comment and the lecturing rhetoric. I just need help with my truck, ha! Sorry I ever brought it up! Anyway, thanks for all your help as usual guys! I appreciate it. I'll keep ya posted.

As I recall if the little switch on the brake petal is shot, then you will not beable to shift from park (if you have an auto) into gear. Assuming you can drive this Jeep, there must be a short somewhere. First see if you are getting power. Then get out your multimeter and do voltage drops until you find the weak link.

Two different animals - the shifter interlock was a cable-operated doohickey, and had nothing to do with the brake light switch.

Follow the brake pedal lever upwards toward the firewall, and look for a small, flattish (3/8" thick or so) switch - should have two or four wires coming off of it. Take your meter, and check that for closure when the pedal goes down (the pedal need not go all the way down for it to close.)

Generally, the brake light switch is the only readon for all the stop lights to go out at once, all else being equal. Shorts are pretty rare, provided the F2B harness hasn't been tampered with and there is no body damage along the doorsills where it runs.

5-90

freewithfire said:
Why is this on MOD TECH? This belongs on OEM TECH.

Yeah, sorry bout that JnJ, it was supposed to be more of a follow up to the last query...my fault. Anyway, I can't see any switch up there, just a cylinder that the brake pedal pumps into, and the shaft of the actual brake pedal itself.

That's cause he switched it from mod tech to oem tech. Anyway, got brake lights now! woohoo. Damn part cost me 30 bucks! Oh well, at least it works...on less thing...scratch it off the list...

look at it this way, a ticket from one of those "a$$hole" cops woulda cost at least $30 probly, and you'd had to fix the brake lights after that anyway. So you saved at least 1/2 :laugh:

5-90 said:
Two different animals - the shifter interlock was a cable-operated doohickey, and had nothing to do with the brake light switch.

5-90

uhm... the recall-installed interlock device thingy on mine was spliced into the brake light switch. As far as I could tell, it split the switch output into two, one to activate the brake lights and the other went to a relay, which tied into what looked like a solenoid cylinder in-line with the cable from the shifter to the steering column.

Back