• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok. Talk to me. Rig comparison.

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short. Eliminating bills and finding something less valuable to rack miles up on. So I'll be looking for a dd/mild rig to replace the Titan.
I realize fuel mileage is about the same, interior space varies, and suspension varies with each. But all are around the same price range. And would satisfy my needs. Anything I'm missing? Anything worth noting experience wise? Goal is reliable for dd but can take a good road to camping. 33's.

Considering the following and why/why not.

XJ. Basic. Easy to mod. Pricey for what you get. Usually beat to shit.

Zj. Also relatively basic. Trans suck.

WJ. Newer and less beat on. More difficult and pricey to mod.

Durango. Great room, v8. Mix on the suspension. Sits lowest. And trans poop.

Fire away.

Well I've got great positive equity in the Titan. Selling should cover the cost of whatever I do. I'm not looking for a rig to go thrash. I'm running 80 miles a day for work. Just want it to be able to get back places to go camping and running around.

I'm not paying Toyota price. Selling the girl's has shown me how stupid pricing is for those.

Stay with the last couple of years of WJ, and with the V-8, which I think you want anyway. Tranny behind the six sucks.

A neighbor has what I think was called the Colorado edition of the WJ. It has the HO version of the V-8, with a 242 transfercase, and what looks like functional rockrails.

Freedom and Overland are the only two WJ's that received factory rock rails. 242 and H.O. would put your neighbor in the 2004 Freedom.

2004_freedom_18.jpg

Here is how those rails mount.

2004_freedom_11.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I would just look for any V8 H.O. 2002+ grand. T/C is easily swapped, so not a deal breaker if you hit the 247. I will tell you though they are are popular and difficult to find for a good price in good condition. I looked at a lot of total crap before I landed my Overland.

Last edited:
Yeah the rails I'm not worried about but the v8 would be nice. They were great in the Dakotas and I know the wj are pig with the 4.0

Back