• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OH CRAP some pics of

GermanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The bad part is that this happened in England, and I live in Germany.
#1 had a snapped rod, so we welded the piston in the cylinder and got it all put together. I got the Jeep to start then #6 exploded and blew a hole in the block.
But it was fun, and the guys at Kirton Offroad center will do anything they can to get you back on the road. These guys actually sacraficed a spare 4.0 to try and get me parts. After it was decided I wasnt driving home one of the guys "king CJ" let me keep my XJ at his farm untill I can get it fixed.
Check out there website at korc.co.uk
DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

Do we dare ask what you were doing to cause the rod issue? Was water a part of it?

Did it actually go through the block?

Or just the oil pan?

Why would you weld the piston to the block? And how would you weld the piston to the block? (aluminium vs steel?) If you were trying to limp it home, couldn't you just leave it out along with the rockers for that cylinder? Not trying to be a smart ass just not understanding...

I heard of a guy that broke thru the cylinder wall with a rod in the middle of nowhere. He removed what was left of the piston and rod and pounded a tree limb whittled down to the right size in the cracked cylinder to keep his antifreze in. Claims to have made it out.

I saw a wheeling video where some guys in a comp did something similiar. A truck broke a rod and they pulled the rod out. Cut it off as close as possible to the crankshaft end. Put the stub rod back on the crank, left the piston out, took the rockers off, and completed the rest of the event. They had to put the crank portion of the rod back on to maintain oil pressure.

Back when I was a kid in the 60s my uncle and I were on a road trip to StPete in Florida in his old flathead Plymouth and broke a rod. He pulled the rod and piston out and whittled down a a 6x6 to fit the cylinder and drove it in with a 10 pound sledge hammer, put the head back on and we drove back to Maryland like that. He then put a piston and rod back in the car and drove it for several more years until he finally sold it around 69-70.
I don't know what the wood was for unless it was to keep the oil from getting up top because he removed the spark plug and wire from the distributor.

If the valves are opening then a certain amount of air / fuel mixture is getting into the cylinder. Without the vaccuum / vent pressure of the piston it's probably not a "lot" but you wouldn't want any of that fuel in your oil.
The mention of replacing the rod "portion" on the crank is sound as the oil does flow that way and pressure is dependent upon all journals having a proper clearance / limitation factor.

With all that in consideration these mentioned "fixes" would put you in limp mode at best. 1 dead cylinder. Engine out of balance. Raw fuel dumping into exhaust. = drive it to the nearest location from where it can be towed.

Stumpalump said:
I heard of a guy that broke thru the cylinder wall with a rod in the middle of nowhere. He removed what was left of the piston and rod and pounded a tree limb whittled down to the right size in the cracked cylinder to keep his antifreze in. Claims to have made it out.

Yup, an ol' coot that wrote a column in an off-road magazine documented this experience in the outback of Baja. Happened to him in an 80's Dodge D-50 pick-up (a 4-cylinder, no less).

I ran a small bead on the cyl wall to keep the piston from sliding down and hitting the crank. I left the piston in because I didnt want to pull the head, and to keep any splashing oil out of the head. I also unplugged the fuel injector for that cyl, ya dont want that thing filling with gas. If #6 didnt blow a hole in the block the size of my fist I colud have made the 12 hr drive home. Oh well next time I will get a snorkel:eeks1:

Back