• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off topic : BMX bikes, I need a couple

New trend, all the cranks get smaller for ground clearance. The rear sprocket is proportionately smaller also. Gear ratios remain the same. One of the key factors in this is the half link chains which can comfortably go around a smaller sprocket...something that was not around back in my BMX days.

that all makes pretty good sense, thanks for the infoe

Get something rolling on 20" wheels, 18"a are for kids, 22/24 are for queers.

As far as small sprockets go, the cranks stay the same length( 175mm unless they're super tall), it's the front and rear sprocket that get smaller. A half link chain isn't required till below 25/9. Going to small drivetrain used to require a rear cassette hub with a 1 price driver , but I'm sure the price on those has come down from the $500 Chris king hubs of the 90's.

But at 9 and 10, who cares.

Get something rolling on 20" wheels, 18"a are for kids, 22/24 are for queers.

As far as small sprockets go, the cranks stay the same length( 175mm unless they're super tall), it's the front and rear sprocket that get smaller. A half link chain isn't required till below 25/9. Going to small drivetrain used to require a rear cassette hub with a 1 price driver , but I'm sure the price on those has come down from the $500 Chris king hubs of the 90's.

But at 9 and 10, who cares.

ROFL oh man, that was good.

I have so many BMX build photos it's redonk.

What we’d do is roll around in the Jeep and pick up old but good bikes at yard sales for a song. Then we’d break 'em down completely, gut it, remove the paint, then build it from scratch using the best of the used parts and some new parts. It was fun and it was literally the first time many of those neighborhood kids had wrenched on anything, mostly thanks to having no dads. I learned a ton, they learned a ton, and everyone had good, clean fun.

I'm getting ready to pack up the bikes to go to a DJ/Pump Track in Temecula with my boys.

As for Orange County Sheep Hills is the only one I'm familiar with. If you feel like coming out my way I'll show you and the boys around. Within 15 miles of my house there are probably 10 spots plus the track in my back yard.

Also, good call on the 20" bikes.

What we’d do is roll around in the Jeep and pick up old but good bikes at yard sales for a song. Then we’d break 'em down completely, gut it, remove the paint, then build it from scratch using the best of the used parts and some new parts. It was fun and it was literally the first time many of those neighborhood kids had wrenched on anything, mostly thanks to having no dads. I learned a ton, they learned a ton, and everyone had good, clean fun.

That is very cool. :greensmok

There are a bunch of kids who need that kind of experience. Good job.

Back