• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off topic : BMX bikes, I need a couple

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know about BMX bikes? I need 2 for my boys.

I can't find any available with 20" wheel, and an 18" top tube. Should I just take the hit and get them 18" wheel bikes?

The boys are 9 and 10 years old. They can ride pretty good.

Is a 20" wheel bmx going to be too big?

Mainly used for dirt/park jumping, no racing.

I'd just go for the 20s, theyll grow into them pretty fast, and they won't grow out of them.

I had my first 20 inch bike when I was eight, no it didn't fit, but I rode it til I was 15.

My first bike was a 20” and I was seven——it’s perfect. also, I have a TON of bikes lol, been building medium-level BMX for years. I dunno what’s all left out there, haven’t done it for quite some time, but they’d be in project mode for sure. I build Redline, Haro, Huffy, Schwinn, GT, Next——pretty much whatever’s in front of me.

18” top tube, huh? I’m heading out to the garage later, I’ll measure out some frames.

Me too, my latest build is my killer 2002 Haro Backtrail.

IMG_0673.jpg

I ride a Sunday complete. They are going to be growing quick might as well get them on a bike that will last. If the 20" is a little big they will just get more used to riding it. The bike will last a lot longer.

Man that crank is small.

New trend, all the cranks get smaller for ground clearance. The rear sprocket is proportionately smaller also. Gear ratios remain the same. One of the key factors in this is the half link chains which can comfortably go around a smaller sprocket...something that was not around back in my BMX days.

I bought my 6yo a sweet bike without even knowing it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPI65U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That was avail about 9 months ago. Paid 199 and 17$ tax to my door. It is more then I would have Ever expected. I grew up with PK Riper, GT, Diamond, etc with the Uni skyways. This bike puts all that to shame. Alum frame and racing wheels and bar.

I would say see if you can find one if your interested in that size. It may have been a end of year deal though.

71hUV06HcFL._SL1500_.jpg

Back