• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O.K. B's Build Thread

Time for another update This last year was fun we had a blast at Winterfest 2013, progressed a bit in the build, made a few local runs and got to make my second Moab wheeling trip.
I have some new things to add and some old smaller things to add to this thread but I will do that later.

Here we are In Moab showing some rear flex , I guess I could have tried to get a before and after rear flex shot to see the difference with the shackle relocation brackets.

Twisty_zpsc85b8ed2.jpg

And showing some droop up front.

PA090132_zps6bef89bc.jpg

Hells gate was a cinch with front and rear lockers, but it definitely got my blood pumping!

PA100237_zpsb30d6a93.jpg

I did however have to winch out of Escalator , I think I could have made it if I tried again. I will have to go back for revenge on Hells Revenge!

20131011_142629_zps4bb0dcaf.jpg

We also started our Xj trailer build this year and got to test it out in Moab, here is the link to that build If you haven't seen it.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103987

Nicetrailer_zps408cdb11.jpg

Moab was a great way to top off the year But this coming year will be amazing with the build progressing forward.
Winterfest is also just around the corner and we plan on making the 15th anniversary of Naxja event at the Black mountains in Harlan, KY!

I'm sad I missed Hell's revenge but I was worn out by Friday. I will be back to run it though!

Looking good man, I have enjoyed following this thread. The trailer is cool as hell, been following that one as well.

Cheese "mover and shaker" Man

I'm sad I missed Hell's revenge but I was worn out by Friday. I will be back to run it though!

I wouldn't be surprised if you make it back there before I do, we do plan on going for the next anniversary event.

I was thinking we would do Winterfest every year and then one Naxja event in a different chapter each year to get to see as many trails, places and people we can.

Looking good man, I have enjoyed following this thread. The trailer is cool as hell, been following that one as well.

Cheese "mover and shaker" Man

Thanks man I am really happy with how things have been turning out on the builds.

I wouldn't be surprised if you make it back there before I do, we do plan on going for the next anniversary event.

Probably go back out there in a couple years, I'll let you know when I do. Maybe we'll hit the lottery by then and retire out there! :D

Probably go back out there in a couple years, I'll let you know when I do. Maybe we'll hit the lottery by then and retire out there! :D

I will let you know what the second trip in a year was like in April :D

I'm going on a second trip to Utah in Nay and i'm sure Ryan will show me some equally badass places!

If all goes well with my new job I may be able to afford to get out more in a few years. I could see retiring there or Co, I loved living in Co.
never seen anywhere as green and alive as the Ozark area of Mo though. (maybe when I lived in Tn on the Ky border). I love my hills and woods.

I'm going on a second trip to Utah in Nay and i'm sure Ryan will show me some equally badass places!

Lucky bastids.

My in-laws went to Moab for vacation and ended up buying property :D
/hijack

That's what my parents did with Westcliffe, Co they live on the mountain it's awesome. I camped there a bunch before they built the house and retired up there.
Having a piece of land to camp in Moab would be great! Building a house on it would be a dream.

I just went through the whole build.. great job. Hells gate looks insane. Also looks like you were ready to tip coming out of the escalator.

I was shaking when I got out after hells gate, it was nuts.

On escalator the spotter had my drivers side up on the left wall about to ease out and he said don't hit the throttle.. So of course before I could think I flexed my toe and jumped the throttle a bit causing the drivers side to slip off.

It is hard to tell from the pic but my jeep was resting on the outer tube step and the corner of the bumper. It felt and looked from inside that it was laying on its side up against that wall..
The outer tube saved me from body damage I know that much.

Weres the pics with 33's!!!!!!!!!!
Ill get them up late tonight or tomorrow, I'm supposed to be working right now and we have Judo and then Tae kwon Do after I get off work.

Last edited:
My tires were a few years old and really weren't in the best shape after Moab so in preperation for Winterfest we stepped up to 33's.
When I was figuring out the build before it started I decided on 33/10.50's partially because of this article. http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
I went with Bfg all terrains again since I spend so much time on the road and they seem to last. We mounted with the HF tire mounter and balanced with H.D. Offroad balancing beads.

The mount needs to be solid for the tire mounter and I wouldn't do tires over 33". With proper technique it works pretty well but does take some force. It could be rough on aluminum rims but you can get a tire bar with a delrin pad or go slow and careful and I think you would be fine. We swapped in 7 new tires with the spare and the Xj trailer and plan on swapping the nicest 5 onto the spare'okee so I am happy with it.

Tiremounter_zps83fb5fe4.jpg

I had a harder time than I thought I would getting the spare to fit back in. so I straitened the hardware that mounts the tire and made the indention in the fender larger.

straightenanddent_zps3909c715.jpg

I had to strap It from both sides to squish the aired down spare to get the hatch and seat to latch.

strapped_zps7c3f6407.jpg

And my awesome 3oth anniversary Trasharoo that I use for storage also makes the rim a great place to store some things.

inthere_zps785c0c43.jpg

OCD much? :D

OCD much? :D
Everything has a place my friend, but sometimes it keeps me up at night and I look like this.:wow:
On the bright side if glaucome ever does take my sight away I will still be able to find all my stuff. Between that, cool sunglasses and super hearing I'd be set.:woohoo:

Haha.. that is one way to do it. I guess it shuts like that?
Yup!

Here it is on the new tires at ride height.

20140123_154113_zps1bde7cc4.jpg

I think they filled in the fenders nicely and the fender trim we did fits perfectly.

Last edited:
We built a little ramp in my drive way to test the bump stops.

A while back I installed longer quadratech 4.1" rear bumps when the ones that were there rusted and broke apart knowing I was going up to 33's. Between that and the U-bolt plates with the bump stop mount that came with the Jks adjustable bump stop kit I was perfect in the rear.

For the front I took the small 1" aluminum bumps from the stackable bumps that came with the JKS Ubolt plate and added them on top of the r.e. 2" (I think) bumps that came with my lift kit. and the front Has worked out nicely.

The JKS adjustable bump kit was overpriced but I still have the medium and large aluminum bumps since I just use the plate and extended stock style in the rear. I will use them for other projects but knowing what I know now I could have just made my own bump plates off of the leaf and used hockey pucks.

Anyway here is the fun part Pics of the bump stop testing with 33's on the new ramp.

The cut in the front matches up nicely with the front tire stuffed and with the bump squished hard. There was a couple screws in the fenders that needed ground down and a metal lip hammered flat but the tire does not rub.

test2_zps520d495e.jpg

Same story with the rear except the fit is a bit tighter since less was trimmed in the rear due to the pinch weld.

testb_zps3de825e2.jpg

This last one had that rear tire as tight as it will go and I could just barely get my hand in between the tire and the Jeep, both sides are right on.

testa_zpsefd8b330.jpg

I haven't been on the highway yet but will tonight, One of my rims was bent pretty good in Moab and Instead of making it the spare I left it on to see If the balancing beads can still give me a smooth highway ride. I also have the new speedo gear to fix the speedometer waiting to go in soon.

So far around town I have to say it feels much nicer that it did with 4.56 gears and 31" tires. I do live in a hilly area and I can feel the loss of some of that low end grunt and am using a lot more brake since it doesn't slow down when I let off the gas. The spectre doesn't howl quite so loud and I expect it to be less noticeable on the hwy. where it will run at a lower rpm than it has been.

Last edited:
Back