• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NRA supporting gun control! WTF?

This is sickening!

Stephen Halbrook filed this NRA backed suit; here is a short excerpt from Mr. Halbrook's oral arguments last Wednesday, October 8, in a case the NRA calls a "Second Amendment" lawsuit:

THE COURT: THE GOVERNMENT CAN PUT RESTRICTIONS ON THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

MR. HALBROOK: YOUR HONOR, WE ARE HERE WANTING TO REGISTER HANDGUNS. WE ARE NOT HERE WANTING UNRESTRICTED ACCESS. WE'RE NOT HERE ASKING TO CARRY THEM, OTHER THAN IN THE HOME.

THE COURT: YOU'RE SAYING THAT THE GOVERNMENT CAN IMPOSE REASONABLE RESTRICTIONS?

MR. HALBROOK: YES, YOUR HONOR. YES, YOUR HONOR.

the article is here with more links-> very interesting
http://www.sierratimes.com/03/10/14/article_kaba.htm

The NRA Sucks! They are the ones to be thanked for the Brady Bill. They have sold us, the Amreican gun owners, out way too many times to count! I dropped my member ship back in '95 when they, the NRA, really started showing there true colors. If you want to belong to a true gun owners lobby group join "Gun Owners of Ameica"

http://www.gunowners.org/

I'm on the fence about this. The context of this case is that it was filed in Washington, DC, which currently bans all firearms. The point of the case is that residents of DC (some, anyway) would prefer to register their guns and be allowed to have them, than not have them or be forced to own them illegally. But the city refuses to establish a registry. Holbrook's point is that the government set up rules for restricted ownership, then won't do their part of the system, thus depriving DC residents of their Constitutional right to keep arms (we won't go into the "bear" part).

Yes, good idea, lets disband the largest pro-gun org in the country so that you can have 0% of your ideals, rather than the less than 100% you are getting with the NRA.

GOA is tiny compared to the NRA (I belong to both), and while I like and respect Larry Pratt, he doesn't get near as much done as the NRA, becasue he's viewed as the lunatic fringe.

CRASH

What you argue in court to get some rights for oppressed people is the necessary evil. Far better than doing nothing.

I have to "bear" the indignities in other battles, hearing someone say or do something I don't agree with, but the goal is more important. I'm NOT saying the ends justifies the means - if NRA members like myself actually did what gun opponents are afraid of, there would be no opposing point of view - but we do need to keep the context in mind.

I don't see the Marlins' waiting for the perfect pitch to knock a homer. They take what they can and use it to move on, just like the gun grabbers. It's the nature of the fight now.

Back