• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Shift Detent issue

cyclejockey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I just rebuilt my transfer case. First time rebuilding one. I don't have it fully reassembled yet but I have an issue. I can't get it to shift modes when the detent bolt is screwed down tight. Like the spring is too compressed and the detent pin won't go back, into the hole. If I loosen the bolt, so just a few threads are screwed in, it works fine and I can move the mode lever by hand. I can't figure out how to make it work like it's supposed to. I have the detent pin oriented like the OEM manual specifies (nipple facing in). I have turned it around but still no success. Any ideas?

If it can shift without the pin and you haven't accidently replaced the spring with a longer one, you may just need to try using a little more force to test it out. I finished a rebuild recently and the lever was definitely tight, but I was able to move it by jamming it with my palm. Without the full linkage attached, you're missing out on quite a bit of leverage. A little assembly lube or ATF on the shift cam and detent pin might help.

Do you have the correct thickness sealing washer installed?

Back