• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 'play'

cmahaff

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all

I've been trying to install new transfer case linkage from Azzys. Who is totally awesome BTW.

I have been experiencing a few issues. At first I thought maybe I wasn't adjusting the linkage properly. But after trying and redoing it many many times I'm beginning to wonder if my transfer case is the culprit.

1998 XJ automatic 4.0 with the NP242.

I took a video today to see if this lateral, side to side movement/play is normal from the xfer case.
I thought I could attach it here. But I'm not seeing that option so I will include a YouTube link. Sorry

https://youtu.be/fxLRW9pkZlk

At the moment with the way I have the linkage set up I'm experiencing significant grinding when I accelerate quickly while in 4 Full Time.

There's also a fair amount of grinding when I shift down from Full Time to Part Time.

I have cleaned detent spring. Which wasn't really dirty at all anyway. The case only has about 165k. And has seen a fair amount of use. But nothing brutal

That's more wear than I care to see but it wouldn't have any input on what your experiencing. Was it doing that before the linkage install?

That's the problem. I never really used full time. So I can't recall. But now that I have a new part I'm scrutinizing everything.

I will remove the linkage completely and put it in 4full time to test it and report back

Okay, it's still does it when I am engaged in 4FT. It can almost be described as a loud rapid thud more than grinding.
I believe it is coming from the transfer case area. And it seems to only happen under rapid acceleration

Most likely wore out pieces in the case, off chance it's the front axle or driveshaft. The shift for the case is single input so any problems with modes are going to be internal.

I have the BWE shift linkage for my NP242 setup. It took a bit of fiddling around to get the NP242 gear position detents lined up with the shifter handle detents. I suggest shifting in 4FT, then disconnect the connecting rod that goes between the arms, verify that the NP242 is properly shifted into 4FT by slightly rotating the NP242 arm to find the detent, and drive it around to see if the sound persists. If it doesn't persist, then verify that the shifter handle is in the 4FT position, and try reconnecting the linkage.

I think I have determined it is not the new linkage or it's adjustment. I disconnected the linkage and was able to replicate the problem. The transfer case seems to click pretty solid into each individual gear. So I manually tested it out.

Reading into it a little more, it sounds like I need to check my u-joints and go from there. I wish it was easier to examine the transfer case chain

I wish it was easier to examine the transfer case chain

Stick your finger fill hole and you can tell a lot about any chain wear.

Does the shifter handle have mechanical positions? I always just thought it was somewhat fluid and the markings in the interior of the Jeep just lined up with the factory linkage.

The shifter does have "gates" but they not real precision as to normally be problem.

Does the shifter handle have mechanical positions? I always just thought it was somewhat fluid and the markings in the interior of the Jeep just lined up with the factory linkage.

There are images of the gate setup online:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/np231-np242-247405/

The linkage needs to be adjusted so that 2WD and 4FT can be properly engaged before the shift handle hits the front or back of the gate, respectively. But it sounds like your setup has other issues.

The gates mean "almost" nothing, on my '95 I went from a 242 to 241OR and I didn't change the shifter. On my 2000 I installed a 2lo kit which means 1 more position, again I didn't do anything with the shifter.

The axle u-joints seems to move pretty freely. I am wondering about this cap being seemingly pushed out or slightly not in the correct place.

Obvious axle seal leak I know
d4f855cf8a24dcea058e7bc610ccd931.jpg

Back