• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

novak shift linkage =dissapiontment

Edit, Novak products in general tend to leave a lot to be desired.
I am running the Novak LS mounts, Radiator and t-case shift linkage. My XJ has prob seen more states, more countries and more national parks all while being extremely reliable. Half of their products do require a bit of knowledge on the installers part, so don't expect plug and play. Please share if you now of a company that sells better motor mounts (with support for when stuff wears out) and a better shift linkage.

I love my Novak shifter.

Worked perfectly with my LS swap and NP231. Didnt need to worry about fabbing a long linkage.
Same here. Super smooth.

To the OP I am currently having the exact same problem. My transfer case is a 241 OR however. Thankfully for me Novak is just 20 miles away,I also have a friend that works there. I am dropping off my rig tomorrow so they can maybe r&d the issue. I also want to add a Teraflex 2 low kit so hopefully they can figure it out and fix it or offer more than one cable size.
I will keep this thread updated

To the OP I am currently having the exact same problem. My transfer case is a 241 OR however. Thankfully for me Novak is just 20 miles away,I also have a friend that works there. I am dropping off my rig tomorrow so they can maybe r&d the issue. I also want to add a Teraflex 2 low kit so hopefully they can figure it out and fix it or offer more than one cable size.
I will keep this thread updated

interesting, i just put a 241or in to replace a 242, the old novak cable worked fine. just modded the bracket so it directed the cable upwards for the tc shift lever of the 241, but otherwise fit fine.

Bootswerk shift kit for manual trans, NP231, '98 works great for me. going on 4 years now. Some minor adjustment to get it right was required, but that was easy with the threaded linkage.

Let's talk shifters, geometry, mounts... and axes to grind for the bonus content. This is not as brief as I had hoped, so hold on, Twitter Generation.

Shifters:
Yes. There is a problem here. We've been in great contact with Moparcyco and coldcdn and these are good guys and with some data are zeroing in on the problems, each of which appear to be anomalies. When mixing an NP241OR into an XJ, the geometry of the throws does not always work out, as shown by Moparcyco's Jeep, which is now on our lift, and under serious scrutiny. It's obviously not a factory combo, but a smart idea, so it deserves debugging. What we know today is that *some* XJ / MJ's had a shorter throw shifter arm but we don't know the pattern yet, if any.

Of note, we installed a 241OR into our MJ a few years ago with this shifter and it checked out then. There may be just enough factory variance in geometry to put one Jeep over the edge where another would fall short.

The 241OR poses a couple of special problems: the factory sector pivot is very difficult to remove in situ or even on the bench with the front yoke in the way, plus the absurd amount of Loctite used on the bolt at NVG. This means that without benching the case, that the pivot can't reasonably be removed to be replaced with a shorter one, nor a hole drilled without difficulty by the installer.

To srb531 and coldcdn: I think you have a legitimate complaint. But our XJ shifters for the 231 and 242 feature a sector pivot with user-selectable holes to increase or decrease throw as needed - this was added a while ago (possibly after srb531's install) and has been helpful. Make sure you are using one of these three holes closer to the pivot and report to us. My own XJ required this, also.

Therefore, we have just designed an extension cleat to increase the throw of an XJ shift handle that will bolt on. We'll laser and machine this component out today and try it out. It will get set aside for most installations, but useful for these outlier situations.

As to DirtyMJ's complaints about Boostwerk's shifter, they sound as petty and unjustified as his screed about Novak components. It looks like a good kit and they have some time and experience behind them to back it up. Concerning DirtyMJ's statement that their kit "likely wouldn't work" and "hit everything in sight"; is that backed up by a first-hand installation or does "likely" mean that he's guessing that it would not work and feels justified in making more broad and personally untested statements? Come to think of it, DirtyMJ has a lot of sour complaints about a lot of things. Well, not everyone is slated to be the life of the party.

As to the discussion about cable stretch, it is hardly ever a material factor in this application due to relatively low forces and cycles. Control cables are colloquially called "aircraft cables" as that was one of their original uses, articulating the control surfaces of aircraft, so someone thought that even the early models were reliable enough to stake their lives on them. Good cables are sealed from dust and are lined and lubricated to prevent wear. Our cable is far and away the most expensive part of our kit and that build quality has borne out.

Mounts:
No one in this nor any industry calls them "pancake mounts". The basic style and nomenclature is a machine mount and since they have a thick cross-section, "pancake" does not fit the bill, but it's a cute euphemism. The upper mount locks into the lower mount providing shock absorbtion for 360 degrees on all three planes.

As to the use of a carriage bolt, what would you prefer? A plow bolt? Shoulder bolt? No bolts + sparkly glue & magic? The shoulder bolt was a terrific choice because it holds itself rotationally during tightening, allows for user-adjustable tension, allows pivot flexibility when aligning difficult installations and they are wicked strong at 75,000 lbs. of tensile strength and a minimum of 45,000 lbs of shear strength - though the mounts spread that shear to some ridiculous number beyond that. Maybe those numbers will make you feel a little less dirty about your deck installation.

The overall implementation of our XJ and other mounts were inspired by Corvette mounts and designed under the consultation of an impressive PHD engineer friend and Novak coworker of mine. Our mounts prior to these being released in 2007-2008 were fine, but the immediate and sustained compliments and subsequent sales increase we saw in them was rewarding, as have been our installations using them in our own conversion shop here at Novak. The mounts handle misalignments very well, allowing the freedom to tilt the powertrain to fit varying scenarios and try to give the installer maximum control.

Axe to Grind:
I suspect DirtyMJ got bent a few years ago when he read on our website that we weren't fully in love with the AW4 and preferred the GM automatics and he's let that petty issue fester and multiply since.

Not every company is meant for every customer, and vice versa. I love freedom of association.

If someone has a problem with any components purchased from Novak (or any company), and didn't call or write that company to resolve it, then grow a pair and pick up the phone. If you are aping some second hand rant, then consider that user's error in installation or failure to get our very accessible help. We take adapter / gearbox leakage very seriously and we obsess about sealing and other important details. That said, the installer has to make sure they have the right length input gears, or use available seal extensions (now provided by default and not by buyer's choice as previously) in every Novak NVG adapter kit, etc.

I know it makes a guy feel cool to get on a forum and act like the mechanical hotshot and silverback and I know it looks all edgy to be publically dissatisfied with everyone above who you esteem. If a guy has a legitimate bad experience, and wants to stay hysterical about it with no direct attempt at resolution, then he's got some issues to work out in life that go beyond Jeeps and forums. No company is perfect, no matter the crazy hours and efforts and knowledge they apply to their craft and industry. But we at Novak never relent from improving our parts and processes and we respect it when our customers intelligently bring things to light that need to be improved.

There are some adolescent swipes at us and other companies in this discussion with no substantive backing behind them and that needs to be called out, just as companies and individuals all need help and constructive suggestions to improve. Building Jeeps (and parts for 75 years worth of them, in our case) can be a brutally complicated thing. We're doing our best and appreciate the honest people who strive along side us as we do so.

We're doing our best and appreciate the honest people who strive along side us as we do so.
Thanks for the explanation. Its nice to see that a company cares. That's why I used Novak swap parts in my build.

If someone has a problem with any components purchased from Novak (or any company), and didn't call or write that company to resolve it, then grow a pair and pick up the phone. . . . If a guy has a legitimate bad experience, and wants to stay hysterical about it with no direct attempt at resolution, then he's got some issues to work out in life that go beyond Jeeps and forums.

Well said!

Thanks for the explanation. Its nice to see that a company cares. That's why I used Novak swap parts in my build.

They're pricey, but after seeing their response and level of concern, I'll be using them in mine (350V8, 700R5, NP231C) as well.

Let's talk shifters, geometry, mounts... and axes to grind for the bonus content. This is not as brief as I had hoped, so hold on, Twitter Generation.

Shifters:
Yes. There is a problem here. We've been in great contact with Moparcyco and coldcdn and these are good guys and with some data are zeroing in on the problems, each of which appear to be anomalies. When mixing an NP241OR into an XJ, the geometry of the throws does not always work out, as shown by Moparcyco's Jeep, which is now on our lift, and under serious scrutiny. It's obviously not a factory combo, but a smart idea, so it deserves debugging. What we know today is that *some* XJ / MJ's had a shorter throw shifter arm but we don't know the pattern yet, if any.

Of note, we installed a 241OR into our MJ a few years ago with this shifter and it checked out then. There may be just enough factory variance in geometry to put one Jeep over the edge where another would fall short.

The 241OR poses a couple of special problems: the factory sector pivot is very difficult to remove in situ or even on the bench with the front yoke in the way, plus the absurd amount of Loctite used on the bolt at NVG. This means that without benching the case, that the pivot can't reasonably be removed to be replaced with a shorter one, nor a hole drilled without difficulty by the installer.

To srb531 and coldcdn: I think you have a legitimate complaint. But our XJ shifters for the 231 and 242 feature a sector pivot with user-selectable holes to increase or decrease throw as needed - this was added a while ago (possibly after srb531's install) and has been helpful. Make sure you are using one of these three holes closer to the pivot and report to us. My own XJ required this, also.

Therefore, we have just designed an extension cleat to increase the throw of an XJ shift handle that will bolt on. We'll laser and machine this component out today and try it out. It will get set aside for most installations, but useful for these outlier situations.

As to DirtyMJ's complaints about Boostwerk's shifter, they sound as petty and unjustified as his screed about Novak components. It looks like a good kit and they have some time and experience behind them to back it up. Concerning DirtyMJ's statement that their kit "likely wouldn't work" and "hit everything in sight"; is that backed up by a first-hand installation or does "likely" mean that he's guessing that it would not work and feels justified in making more broad and personally untested statements? Come to think of it, DirtyMJ has a lot of sour complaints about a lot of things. Well, not everyone is slated to be the life of the party.

As to the discussion about cable stretch, it is hardly ever a material factor in this application due to relatively low forces and cycles. Control cables are colloquially called "aircraft cables" as that was one of their original uses, articulating the control surfaces of aircraft, so someone thought that even the early models were reliable enough to stake their lives on them. Good cables are sealed from dust and are lined and lubricated to prevent wear. Our cable is far and away the most expensive part of our kit and that build quality has borne out.

Mounts:
No one in this nor any industry calls them "pancake mounts". The basic style and nomenclature is a machine mount and since they have a thick cross-section, "pancake" does not fit the bill, but it's a cute euphemism. The upper mount locks into the lower mount providing shock absorbtion for 360 degrees on all three planes.

As to the use of a carriage bolt, what would you prefer? A plow bolt? Shoulder bolt? No bolts + sparkly glue & magic? The shoulder bolt was a terrific choice because it holds itself rotationally during tightening, allows for user-adjustable tension, allows pivot flexibility when aligning difficult installations and they are wicked strong at 75,000 lbs. of tensile strength and a minimum of 45,000 lbs of shear strength - though the mounts spread that shear to some ridiculous number beyond that. Maybe those numbers will make you feel a little less dirty about your deck installation.

The overall implementation of our XJ and other mounts were inspired by Corvette mounts and designed under the consultation of an impressive PHD engineer friend and Novak coworker of mine. Our mounts prior to these being released in 2007-2008 were fine, but the immediate and sustained compliments and subsequent sales increase we saw in them was rewarding, as have been our installations using them in our own conversion shop here at Novak. The mounts handle misalignments very well, allowing the freedom to tilt the powertrain to fit varying scenarios and try to give the installer maximum control.

Axe to Grind:
I suspect DirtyMJ got bent a few years ago when he read on our website that we weren't fully in love with the AW4 and preferred the GM automatics and he's let that petty issue fester and multiply since.

Not every company is meant for every customer, and vice versa. I love freedom of association.

If someone has a problem with any components purchased from Novak (or any company), and didn't call or write that company to resolve it, then grow a pair and pick up the phone. If you are aping some second hand rant, then consider that user's error in installation or failure to get our very accessible help. We take adapter / gearbox leakage very seriously and we obsess about sealing and other important details. That said, the installer has to make sure they have the right length input gears, or use available seal extensions (now provided by default and not by buyer's choice as previously) in every Novak NVG adapter kit, etc.

I know it makes a guy feel cool to get on a forum and act like the mechanical hotshot and silverback and I know it looks all edgy to be publically dissatisfied with everyone above who you esteem. If a guy has a legitimate bad experience, and wants to stay hysterical about it with no direct attempt at resolution, then he's got some issues to work out in life that go beyond Jeeps and forums. No company is perfect, no matter the crazy hours and efforts and knowledge they apply to their craft and industry. But we at Novak never relent from improving our parts and processes and we respect it when our customers intelligently bring things to light that need to be improved.

There are some adolescent swipes at us and other companies in this discussion with no substantive backing behind them and that needs to be called out, just as companies and individuals all need help and constructive suggestions to improve. Building Jeeps (and parts for 75 years worth of them, in our case) can be a brutally complicated thing. We're doing our best and appreciate the honest people who strive along side us as we do so.

I like a company that is willing to stand up for themselves and explain things.

The cherry on the top is showing respect for a competitor as well.

Thank you.

Shifters:

Mounts:

Axe to Grind:

Well said! :thumbup:

:cheers:

If someone has a problem with any components purchased from Novak (or any company), and didn't call or write that company to resolve it, then grow a pair and pick up the phone.

My only (minor) gripe is that one bolt on the middle of the passenger side mount. How the hell do you tighten it?? lol:roflmao:

I like a company that is willing to stand up for themselves and explain things.

The cherry on the top is showing respect for a competitor as well.

Thank you.

Anak, I 3rd that, and 4th that! OH! WAIT,...I missed 2nd.

Am I allowed to show several hands?

I am impressed by Novak's response.

Why folks choose to post on a forum their problems with a product, real or perceived, and go all frickin Jerry Springer before contacting the vendor is beyond me...........

There will always be folks who can mess up an anvil with a rubber mallet or bend a digging bar in a sandpile though.

Shifters:

Mounts:

Axe to Grind:

Good show!

What you have on this site are a bunch of goddamned know-it-alls that rarely if ever back up there mouths will photos of their work (not all, but enough of them).
Hacks.

Novak, I'll be doing more business with you for my V8 conversion.

Good show!

What you have on this site are a bunch of goddamned know-it-alls that rarely if ever back up there mouths will photos of their work (not all, but enough of them).
Hacks.

Novak, I'll be doing more business with you for my V8 conversion.
Maybe because the majority of us have less in our jeeps than you have into your front and rear brakes and dont feel the need to post pics of everyday rides.
For some that includes the purchase price of the jeep.
Dont get me wrong you have an incredibly nice MJ but you incessant need to flame folks that obviously dont have your dissposable income is getting old.

Maybe because the majority of us have less in our jeeps than you have into your front and rear brakes and dont feel the need to post pics of everyday rides.
Dont get me wrong you have an incredibly nice MJ but you incessant need to flame folks that obviously dont have your dissposable income is getting old.

No, that's not at all the point I'm making.

This guy here that criticized Novak and Booswerks, claimed his is better from junk airplane parts.......why did he not post up a pic of his creation???

RCP criticizes me for my wiring, yet not a pic of his wiring........no, where the **** is his work??? Notta.

If you are going to mouth-up, ****ing put-up! Or ****ing shut-up.

No, most of these guys own clapped out pieces of shit.

And then there is the 'spring rubbing' thread......exactly what I expect, hackery.

No, that's not at all the point I'm making.

This guy here that criticized Novak and Booswerks, claimed his is better from junk airplane parts.......why did he not post up a pic of his creation???

RCP criticizes me for my wiring, yet not a pic of his wiring........no, where the **** is his work??? Notta.

If you are going to mouth-up, ****ing put-up! Or ****ing shut-up.

No, most of these guys own clapped out pieces of shit.

And then there is the 'spring rubbing' thread......exactly what I expect, hackery.

I understand your opinion to a point but the generalality of the statement was pretty all inclusive.

As for the guy with the spring rub. He bought that way (probably on impulse) and came here for advice on how to fix. I could see your angst towards that kind of butchery so instead of snide comments how about sharing some of that knowledge and try to help the guy out.

I wouldn't say most folks own clapped out pos's. I imagine most are like me with a well maintained high mileage (I have 350k) daily drivers. While nice rigs not really noteworthy and look like every other mildly lifted stockish xj's

Kind of like how there are very few pics of your red xj

Agreed! My jeep is nothing special, and most of the pics I do have are locked up in the PB shenanigan, which I haven't been bothered to find time to address yet.

Hacks.

Almost everything I've done to my XJ's over the last 20yrs is posted here, with photo's. What do you want to see(in your own thread)!

Back