• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start "Here We Go Again"

JKooshTJ

NAXJA Forum User
:gonnablow I went to start the XJ this morning and I waited for the fuel pump to finish. Thern I turned the key. NOTHING! I managed to get a jump start from this guy across the way and I let it run, but I noticed the headlights were on. Dummy RIGHT...WRONG. I checked the switch and it was OFF! I pulled the switch on and then off, and checked the lights again. The lights were now off. So I packed in my things to get off to school/work/anywhere that will increase my income, and I pulled the light switch again because it's a foggy morning. IT DIES! I have no juice now, the guy is gone, it's 7:30 in the morning, my wife and her car are gone, my sister is sick as a dog and lives 20 miles away, my father has a doctor's appointment until 9:30am and I have to be at work at 2pm. I'm assuming I have a bad alternator in general which isn't holding a charge very well, on top of a short somewhere in the headlight switch. DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT? HOW DO I RULE OUT THE ALTERNATOR OR THE BATTERY?

Thanks!:shiver:

It sounds like you do indeed have a short in your headlight switch that has caused the lights to stay on and drain the battery.
If your lights are off now, ask someone to give you a jump start so you can get going. Your battery may be beyond salvage and not hold charge, so have it checked immediately. You might not be able to restart the engine again if you switch off the ignition so beware.

Back