• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Rear Sway Bar?

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a RE 3.5" lift and when I got to the rear, the instructions say to remove the sway bar and that it will not be reused. Does this sound right???

Thanks,

Michel :wave1:

most don't use the rear sway bar, in fact it is a option on most XJs.

Yeah, removing the rear sway bar is normal. Esspecially with RE stuff. It rides pretty stiff. But, this is a heated debate about sway bars on here. You get lots of opinions going either way, but, i personally don't run one and i'm on the RE 5.5".

2offroad said:
most don't use the rear sway bar, in fact it is a option on most XJs.
Minor correction:

It is true that most people remove the rear sway bar when they lift, and that RE springs are stiff enough that you probably don't need it. However ... the rear sway bar was NOT an "option" on any year or model XJ. It was standard on all models, unless you got the Up Country suspension package on which it was specifically listed as a delete. The reason was that the Up Country springs were enough stiffer than stock to compensate for the rear sway bar.

It is also incorrect to say the rear bar is useless. It serves a function, and I will be adding a rear bar to my 2000 with Up Country (which is not taken off-road).

There is a purpose to that rear sway bar but its so dinky and small that once you start putting a bigger suspension and bigger tires it becomes less of a factor. I nominate to ditch it.

Chilly said:
The rear is useless.

Now the front on the other hand is very important for highway driving, but some will say otherwise.

I disagree with the first comment, but totally agree with the second.

Since I chase the Aspen Fire Department down hiway 82 a lot, and at high speeds, I kept it on. I took the rear off when I installed the RE 3.5" lift, but put it back on becuase the rear felt really loose and mushy. I didn't like the feel and since I don't like rolling onto my top, I re-installed it. Now she drive better at high speeds.

Which brings me to this question: Is there rear swaybar d-conns available?

Chilly said:
The rear is useless.

Now the front on the other hand is very important for highway driving, but some will say otherwise.

Let me clearify one thing, it has been my experience that with any cherokee that I have had or worked on that had 4" of lift or more (sorry haven't delt with less lift), there was no noticable difference in handling after removing the rear sway bar. Clearification "with a lifted XJ it is useless".

Last edited:
Here's my .02 cents... I've got a 3" lift (Rusty's) and removed mine. It was "clunking" when I went over off center bumps. I notice no difference in driving or handling at any speed with it off... once I took it off the "clunking" stopped...

Well, you guys "swayed" me. I'm gonna take mine off this weekend and see how she drive both on and off-road. I've got a photo shoot near the Crystal Rive Mill, not nekked wimen, little kids in some camp (it pasy the bills and outfits my XJ!).

So I'll see the difference.

Back