• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no power to right rear tail light?

sorry to bring a thread back from the dead. finally had time to look at it this past weekend, and for sure there is no fuse box anywhere near the front pass. side.

theres one in the engine bay on the pass side, but i dont think that would control the tail light

the only 2 i can find are that one, and one under the driver controls

No biggie. Your fuse box must be under the driver side where the master cylinder on manual transmissions drips on everything rendering them totally useless on occasion. Don't worry about the fuses. You said everything works on the driver's side, and nothing works on the pass side. What is common to all the lights on that side is the ground. Check your ground at that light! Usually that is a black wire.

Yes, that is where the manual tranny would have a master cyl on the older models. But sorry, I am confusing you with irrelevent info. The key facts are that the lights work on the left side, but not the right. And they ALL don't work on that side. Check the ground. Your fuse box is in the older location, and other thread bandits turned it into a late model issue so everyone was talking about the right front kick panel. Forget about that. Trace down the ground wire from that (right) light (probably black) and clean up the ground connetion or run a new ground to a sheet metal screw in the body.

Yes, that is where the manual tranny would have a master cyl on the older models. But sorry, I am confusing you with irrelevent info. The key facts are that the lights work on the left side, but not the right. And they ALL don't work on that side. Check the ground. Your fuse box is in the older location, and other thread bandits turned it into a late model issue so everyone was talking about the right front kick panel. Forget about that. Trace down the ground wire from that (right) light (probably black) and clean up the ground connetion or run a new ground to a sheet metal screw in the body.

x2.

thanks a lot..they had me scratching my head for 15 minutes looking for a non existant fuse panel..haha

guess ill start searching for a ground. any idea of how far up this ground is. i pulled the rear interior panel and didn't see any ground, just a harness that kept going up

Look at the right tail light, not the fuse panel. Get underneath to look or pull the tail light out of the fender. Find the black wire, take a wire with a safety pin and push it into the black wire and hold the other end to a good ground on the body ane test it.

Actually, if you have an voltmeter or test light, take out the tail light bulb and hold the probe to the pin in the light bulb socket. Hold the other probe to a good ground and see if you have power. Then try it holding the second probe to the shell of the bulb socket. If it workds good to the body, but not the socket, you need to fix the ground either by finding the old one and cleaning it or running a new wire to a sheet metal screw.

Look at the right tail light, not the fuse panel. Get underneath to look or pull the tail light out of the fender. Find the black wire, take a wire with a safety pin and push it into the black wire and hold the other end to a good ground on the body ane test it.

Actually, if you have an voltmeter or test light, take out the tail light bulb and hold the probe to the pin in the light bulb socket. Hold the other probe to a good ground and see if you have power. Then try it holding the second probe to the shell of the bulb socket. If it workds good to the body, but not the socket, you need to fix the ground either by finding the old one and cleaning it or running a new wire to a sheet metal screw.

this may sound stupid, but if he cant find the ground wire for what ever reason, couldnt go get one of those splicing plugs that wrap around the existing wire and pretty much ties in a new wire, then ground it to a new cleaner location? im thinking this as a last resort, but if i knew it was the ground a 100% i'd just cut it off and ground it somewhere else =/

these are what im talking about
Connections2.jpg

OK, if we think about the tail light assy wires, what do we have? Running light (tail light), turn signal, brake light, and back-up light. This makes 4 wires. Then we have ground (5th wire). That will be a black wire. Take another piece of wire and a safety pin. Pierce one end of the wire and your black wire together so that you have electrical contact from your black wire going in to the back lights to your extra piece of wire. Cut the insulation off of the other end of that wire and touch it to a nice shiny ground that you scrape on the body or run it up to the negative post of your battery. If this works, cut the black wire near a good body point, put an eyelet connector on it and secure it to the body with a sheet metal screw.

Basically what Maxx said while I was typing the book.

Last edited:
Back