• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power to fuel pump!

Rccola55

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy Everyone,

Im new to the cherokee world, but have been around the wheeling world for a while. I am building a 93' xj for a buddy of mine that didnt start when he first purchased it. After replacing the CPS and fuel pump it ran great for a few short trips around the block. Yesterday I went to go start it with no luck the first try, but after that it was fine. Today no luck at all, the pump will not prime, but the relay has power and clicks normally. I also tried to bypass the ballast resistor with no luck. Im thinking it could be the resistor relay but i cant seem to locate it.

Also when driving it the other day the pump seemed to run full on all the time and didnt quite down, usually this indicates a faulty pump so maybe the pump has already gone bad again.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks and Gig em'

Rccola55 said:
Howdy Everyone,

Im new to the cherokee world, but have been around the wheeling world for a while. I am building a 93' xj for a buddy of mine that didnt start when he first purchased it. After replacing the CPS and fuel pump it ran great for a few short trips around the block. Yesterday I went to go start it with no luck the first try, but after that it was fine. Today no luck at all, the pump will not prime, but the relay has power and clicks normally. I also tried to bypass the ballast resistor with no luck. Im thinking it could be the resistor relay but i cant seem to locate it.

Also when driving it the other day the pump seemed to run full on all the time and didnt quite down, usually this indicates a faulty pump so maybe the pump has already gone bad again.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks and Gig em'
Try reading the FAQ for some ideas. There is one on a no start XJ that might help .....
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101119

I read through that earlier today, it was helpful, but the problem for right now is the new fuel pump burned up. Is there a relay that could be out or a dead ballast that could cause the fuel pump to recieve too much amperage and burn up, that i dont know about? Also why wouldnt the green/black wire going into the ballast not be recieving power even though the pump relay is working?

Back