• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No OD/lockup Question?

Have you checked for pending codes in the tcm? It couldn't hurt, and I know that some scan tools don't automatically check for pending codes when pulling DTCs

Someting I just thought of;

What is the engine speed PID doing when the od solenoid is on and off. Is it possible lockup may be applying and you're not feeling it? There should be a slight decrease in rpm when applied with subsequent increase when released. I never noticed a difference when my lockup solenoid failed. It just threw the MIL.

I don't know how many times I lost my a$$ at work chasing a normal condition.

Food for thought.

Someting I just thought of;

What is the engine speed PID doing when the od solenoid is on and off. Is it possible lockup may be applying and you're not feeling it? There should be a slight decrease in rpm when applied with subsequent increase when released. I never noticed a difference when my lockup solenoid failed. It just threw the MIL.

I don't know how many times I lost my a$$ at work chasing a normal condition.

Food for thought.

I don't know if this info. might help with troubleshooting ... The transmission's TCC is capable of locking the TC .. in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear (disabled in 1st.)

At certain speeds can feel the TCC lock the tc between gears during shifting phases.

Good point! You really should monitor the siganl to the TC lockup solenoid and take it for a ride. You will really be surprised at when the TC does actually lock. BTW the second brake light switch mentioned earlier is ONLY on the RENIX years and is used by both the Cruise Control and the TCU for TC lock control. The TC will NOT ever lock if this switch is in the wrong state.

I might also monitor the other solenoids to see what's happening with #2 and #1 solenoid.

The TCC constantly monitors #1, #2 and the TCC solenoids.

If #2 has any sort of voltage, ground fault, (intermittent or otherwise), the TCM automatically locks out the TCC solenoid.

#1 solenoid - shifts 1-2 & 3-4
#2 solenoid - shifts 2-3
TCC - Torque converter

As far as stored codes it definitely doesn't have any, my scanner is a DRB 3 from a Chrysler dealership so I can go in and look at all the systems throughly. And its definitely not going into lockup I know because it runs down the road and after shifting into 4th it never drops below 2,000 RPM (far too high for a 2wd with 3:55 rear end) Also its a Country so has an overhead console and it hasn't averaged more than 14 MPG.

I'm officially out of things to test and options. Re adjusted the tv cable numerous times no change. Removed tested and adjusted the brake switch. Removed cleaned and tested the NSS. Ohm checked every single transmission related wire into the main harness, TCM, and PCM all test good. Still same no lockup in 3 or 4th. And still no codes. Also swapped tps, map and iac just to make sure they weren't any affect. Cruise control works as it should as well. I'm beginning to think it may be the trans since I'm out of tests and parts to swap. Just find it odd that 2 different trannys do the same thing. I know where a '97 4wd is with similar options, anyone think I should snag the PCM from it to give that a shot? Would it throw a code since mine is 2wd? It's the same one I tried the TCM out of but made no difference.

I'm officially out of things to test and options. Re adjusted the tv cable numerous times no change. Removed tested and adjusted the brake switch. Removed cleaned and tested the NSS. Ohm checked every single transmission related wire into the main harness, TCM, and PCM all test good. Still same no lockup in 3 or 4th. And still no codes. Also swapped tps, map and iac just to make sure they weren't any affect. Cruise control works as it should as well. I'm beginning to think it may be the trans since I'm out of tests and parts to swap. Just find it odd that 2 different trannys do the same thing. I know where a '97 4wd is with similar options, anyone think I should snag the PCM from it to give that a shot? Would it throw a code since mine is 2wd? It's the same one I tried the TCM out of but made no difference.

I would consider the torque converter as being bad. Swap out the current one for the other one that was in there.

If it shifts okay manually with the TCM disconnected you can rule out electrical control issues, like PCM/TCM. It's down to mechanical faults.

Edit: See post #11.

It is actually rather difficult to kill an AW4. Heat or loss of fluid are the killers...

365k on the ticker will do it as well.......my 88 is on it's way out now....just got old

My 88 acted the same way you are saying yours does, and I put in a manual switch to engage the lockup, Works fine, just have to remember to disengage it when coating or stopping.

May be an option for you as well

Back