• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Next Wheeling Trip

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
Only Three things to decide:

1. Where are we going?
2. When are we going?
3. Who is going?

Some ideas. I like the idea of Tillimook, British Columbia, Evans Creek again (up instead of down?), Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Elbe ORV, Liberty?

I would prefer the end of September or early Oct.

Michael

Depending on timing and what's going on with the kids I would love to go wheelin' with you guys. Thanks for making the new guy feel welcome 2xtreme!

since it was talked about and only a few did at NW fest what about running naches pass?

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
since it was talked about and only a few did at NW fest what about running naches pass?

Dingo

How about something along the lines of the following:
Start in Enemclaw. Go over the Naches wagon trail, up the Kaner Flats trail, across the shoestring to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks. Back down a trail (not sure which one, many to select from) across 410 and make a loop on the south side of 410. Back up another trail (again, not sure which yet) up to Manastash ridge, and back down to Ellensburg.

Thoughts?
Michael

mrktuna said:
Depending on timing and what's going on with the kids I would love to go wheelin' with you guys. Thanks for making the new guy feel welcome 2xtreme!

Of course!!

This group of guys is very family friendly and wonderful to wheel with.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Start in Enemclaw. Go over the Naches wagon trail, up the Kaner Flats trail, across the shoestring to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks. Back down a trail (not sure which one, many to select from) across 410 and make a loop on the south side of 410. Back up another trail (again, not sure which yet) up to Manastash ridge, and back down to Ellensburg.

Thoughts?
Michael
In how many DAYS is that ?
Why not put Quartz and Frost Lookouts on that list And the rock garden off the Menastash.
You want to do part of this in Sept and the rest in Oct?

Last edited:
2xtreme said:

Thoughts?
Michael

That's sounds like a hell of a trail run, im up for it, but just a couple Q's any idea how long these would be both mileage and time? I'm thinking this sounds more like a 2 day run or some serious early morning till way past dark. that assumes that nobody breaks anything major.

BTW how tight is Kaner and Shoestring? i can't remember.

Dingo

hards91xj said:
In how many DAYS is that ?
Why not put Quartz and Frost Lookouts on that list And the rock garden off the Menastash.
You want to do part of this in Sept and the rest in Oct?

I've been wanting to check out that stuff over by quartz mt.

I was thinking of a two dayer. Start early Sat and get home when we get done on Sunday. The thing about doing it like this is that we can modify or people can turn back in several different places if need be. I all for adding quartz mt and frost mt. I figure that some other might have more detailed ideas of how to add to it or modify it.

With Howard as our fearless leader we should be able to do it in a few hours!!

If it has to be a 1 dayer, how about over Naches, up Kaner, along shoestring to the rocks. Then back home.

Michael

im sure ill be in this time. i really wish i could have made it last time, just had some stuff i needed to take care of....

but anyways, me and a budy of mine are heading up to evans creek this sunday the 21st a little later, probably around 2 or so if anybody is interested just let me know...

If I can get some more protection on, I am up for anything within a descent driving distance.

Saturday will not work for me.

Sunday will. On a two day event? I wouldn't be able to make it.

Later
Jason

ya i was actually just heading up for the day.....i would be there around 3 or so, run a couple trails and head out...

where do you live? im in puyallup so im only about 40 mins or so from the turn off to evans.

2xtreme said:
If it has to be a 1 dayer, how about over Naches, up Kaner, along shoestring to the rocks. Then back home.

Michael

we could always run ravens roost (powerline) uphill on sun. i'm sure there's still some mud there but it's probably passable for us now. normally it will swallow 44's.

we could set up basecamp somewhere then the guys can only make 1 day will know where to find us.

Dingo

hards91xj said:
Micheal Likes the mud in that area :laugh3:

YES, YES I DO!!

However, my jeep steers away from it these days for some reason or another. In fact, you should have seen how carful I was last weekend in the mud hole that ate Matt's radiator (I wonder if he is aware that his alt is next) :)

Michael

I am all for something in the Naches area for the next event in Sept/Oct. For the camping part it would be nice to be able to camp at one of the grounds in the Cliffdell area. It would be an interesting ride to head over to the West side in the morning and run Naches Pass towards the East, along with any other trails of interest, and a two day thing as has been mentioned. This would allow for camping and more stuff on Sunday, and leaves basically everyone in the same situation as far as travel time to and from home. There are three or four vehicles I know of in the Tri-Cities that would make it bar unforseen work hassles.

Regarding events on the coast side of Portland, B.C., or on down in Oregon that have also been mentioned. Travel time gets to be an issue for some people due to job constraints and driving distances/time. That is not to say events shouldn't be held in those areas... rather that when or if they are, it would be nice if maybe they were looked at over a 3-day weekend kinda thing so that people at the opposite geographic ends of the chapter borders would be able to make the trip without having to overly push themselves.

Another comment is that for events that aren't held in the central Cascades, and require more of a drive for those farthest away, there should be some moderate/easy trails available for them so they don't have the added stress of trying to get a broken vehicle back across the state(s) to home. Some of us have trailers and car_dolly's, but many others don't.

I would like to visit some of the other sites mentioned other than the Cascades, but it does get to be more of a problem in getting the time to visit them. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that events in those places should be held by all means, but it needs to be realized that the attendance to those events will more likely be smaller due to members schedule conflicts.

Just .02 cents from an old fart. :)

Your comments are much appreciated!!
And I believe you are right in alot of what you say.

Part of my interest is to have rides in a variety of places for several reasons. I think it provides more of a diversity of terrain, allows people who do not know areas to try something new, allows the people who do know areas to show others the great trails in the area, and try to minimize the number of people who always seem to have to drive more distance in one direction or another.

Having said that the Mt Rainer area is probably the most central to the vast majority of people who usually attend these rides (from Blain up north, Olympia and Portland down south and tri cities to the east). Having said that, I would really like to see more people putting rides together in other areas. Tillimook would be great, Eastern Washington (Sand Dunes), BC, etc, etc. But as you said for those of us in the Seattle area it would be easier if those events were on a long weekend. However, there is a large contingency of people in Portland, BC, Idaho, etc that should still be included.

Michael

Well I would be up for a run to the Sand Dunes in Moses Lake. Although I'm not very familar with camping areas around there. I have friends that have family there, and could do some research on whats available, if we wanted to go there.

Dingo

Back