• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Next Project

Sounds like a good project Michael !!! Had I known you were going this direction I wouldnt have scraped that sticker off my rear window, Officially ending my feud with Rover owners everywhere:D. Best of luck, cant wait to see how this turns out
Ryan

2xtreme said:
I don't have any pic's from that incident. I have a few from the trip.

Howard, you got any?

Howard pulled him from Naches all the way over the pass into Enemclaw so that he could get AAA to take it home. If my memory serves me right?

Good campfire story really.
Michael
Not on film :photo: but everytime I travel that way:firedevil forever in my mind
Can you say 35mph all the way.
I spent more time towing them than the group wheeling with them,

Blkxjkrawler said:
Had I known you were going this direction I wouldnt have scraped that sticker off my rear window, Officially ending my feud with Rover owners everywhere:D. Ryan

This is not my first Rangie, I had one before my XJ and my family has had several others including series rigs. My XJ has served me well, and I hope it continues to for years.

This is just a better platform for the size of my next rig.

I spent more time towing them than the group wheeling with them,

It wasn't even close!!
Michael

Rovers are definatley very capable rigs. I'm still kicking around a disco 2 for a dd, although I prefer the styling of the Range Rovers. An extreme Rover is a great idea. It will be very unique, and turn alot of heads on the trail. Especially at the level of build you are talking about. Whats your wheelbase at now? Will an 8 inch increase make you longer than a factory LWB Rover? I have hit the trails with one of those and it was very interesting snaking it through tight trails.
Ryan

WA-HCXJ said:
you are too extreme :sure: :wierd:

In more ways that most people realize:)

Will an 8 inch increase make you longer than a factory LWB Rover?

Classic Rangie is 100" wheel base. LWB is 108".

My hope is the match the wheel base so that both front and rear tires are right at the front and rear. Anything with 42" tires is not going to be short but I think that with the larger tires you need a longer wheelbase. I have friends with 38's on 96-98" wheel bases and they are still too short.

My original plan was dual steer (both front Unimog axles set up hydrolically with lockouts for the rear). but would profer not to do that if at all possible. I do not expect to fit in really tight trails, but I do want to keep it as small as possible but safe on the rocks and inclines as well.

All of these comments and opinions are very valuable for this build up, especially at the moment while I am still doing research to decide what I untimately end up doing!!

Disco 2's are great trucks. I try to be VERY selective of who I recommend them to as a Daily driver though;)
Michael
Michael

2xtreme said:
Disco 2's are great trucks. I try to be VERY selective of who I recommend them to as a Daily driver though;)
I dont even think I would be allowed to buy one, I've never been to Honolulu( isnt that were they all come from? I think so based on the spare tire covers I see). Anyways I decided to wait until Ford releases the Sequoia. Think Excursion only bigger with a 6.4L twin turbo diesel. just what the market needs!!! :thumbup: Ford no wonder we've lost a billion and a half dollars in the first 9 months of this year. Anyways back on topic, Mog axles Four link front, three or four link rear, with coilovers all around? I'm not real familiar with them are the mog axles portal style? Dont you have to use Mog wheels? I thought they had a pretty specific lug pattern.

Blkxjkrawler said:
2xtreme said:
I dont even think I would be allowed to buy one, I've never been to Honolulu( isnt that were they all come from? I think so based on the spare tire covers I see). Anyways I decided to wait until Ford releases the Sequoia. Think Excursion only bigger with a 6.4L twin turbo diesel. just what the market needs!!! :thumbup: Ford no wonder we've lost a billion and a half dollars in the first 9 months of this year. Anyways back on topic, Mog axles Four link front, three or four link rear, with coilovers all around? I'm not real familiar with them are the mog axles portal style? Dont you have to use Mog wheels? I thought they had a pretty specific lug pattern.

Disco's are imported through normal inport distribution.
Ford and GM are really blowing my mind with some of their decisions at the moment. It seem to me that Chrysler is the only american car company (of the original big 3 that is doing anything at all right). You are joking about Ford coming out with something larger than the Excursion right? They couldn't sell the Excursion they really are not dumb enough to come out with something larger are they?

Probably be a very close to stock 3 single triangulated link rear (no panhard rod/trackbar) with slight modifications to arm length and joints to gain some flex and new bracketry due to new axles. The front will probably be modified to a non triangulated 3 link with pan hard rod. Very normal upgrade on modified rovers and very simple, basically off the shelf part (not that I will use off the shelf parts but will build my own but use what has been proven to work well, assuming I have enough lift to not need to change too much).

Yes, Mog axles are Portal design (about 4" drop and gear reduction at wheels). standard are 20" wheels, I will likely go to custom wheels (with less off set to keep the wheels as close to the body as possible) and I think I might be able to go down to a 17" wheel (not sure if I can without doing a disk conversion or not yet, still alot of details to work out). I am having difficulty finding the tires I want in the sizes I want that will work on a 17 or 20" wheel. The IROK is the only thing I have found so far. Due to off-set, lug patern, and beadlocks the wheels will most likely be completely custom.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Disco's are imported through normal inport distribution.

I know, it just seems like 90% of the ones I see on the road sport Land Rover Honolulu spare covers. I've bought parts for my rigs while on vacation too.

You are joking about Ford coming out with something larger than the Excursion right? They couldn't sell the Excursion they really are not dumb enough to come out with something larger are they?

The Rumour Circulating Is that they are. The way I have heard it if you think A crew cab long bed (8ft) super duty pickup, styled roughly on the newer Expeditions you will be pretty close It will be interesting to see if it survives with the cuts that have been anounced this week. The Excursion was origionally intended to be nothing but a fleet vehicle specifically for the Oil companys on the North slope in Alaska. As you know at the time for American manufacturers and also to the general public BIGGER = better. It was thought that the general public would eat them up and they were released. Problem was obviously fuel economy, and also that you were taking A soccer mom, ( or Dad) out of their cushy riding Explorer Or Expedition. Putting them in what is essentially a 3/4 to 1 ton truck, and they did not like the ride quality or the handling characteristics of it. I'll stop now, before I launch into my full disertation on where the American Automobile industry is headed and Why.

Due to off-set, lug patern, and beadlocks the wheels will most likely be completely custom.

Why not stick with 20's and get some 53 inch Michelin Implement tires( who cares about unsprung weight anyways):D

Ryan

I could stick with the 20's and I might still due that. But currently there are very few tires that I am interested in that will are made for 20's and I would prefer to have as much negative backspacing as possible to narrow the trackwidth some. So by the time I invest in beadlocks, I might as well get the totally custom wheels that I want.

Car companies never ceas (sp?) to amaze me!!
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years with Ford, GM and others!!

Michael

Back