• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new xj! wootness!

O there it is! :greensmok

Just in.....I see in my crystal ball...............a locker in the near future! :yelclap::woohoo:

Nice white waggy too!

yeah, buddy! yeah ed, i'll take better care of this one. i kinda like the rims black, though. i'll wait till i see them with bigger tires to decide whether i'd rather have the clean aluminum... i have taken pretty good care of my other waggy, but the motor didn't take care of me. it's gettin rebuilt soon, i just need the money. i'm takin it to the guy around halloween.

i'm takin it to the guy around halloween.

/me ponders what a guy around halloween looks like....this? :skull1:

If so I sense DANGER will robinson! ;)

What happened to the motor? I just got done rebuilding my 360.

well, the first 360 developed a rod knock, so i got another one for free that i had been told ran great when removed, so i swapped it in, and it runs, but has some top end rattles, and kinda pops through the carb intermittently, so i suspect that a valve isn't opening when it it's supposed to. it kinda misfires and runs like crap once the motor gets warm, too, and hasn't got much power.
the guy lives in woodbury, and i'm going to take it to him around the end of the month to rebuild it. he used to work at the amc jeep factory in toledo, ohio, and (supposedly) knows the full size jeeps inside and out.

well, the first 360 developed a rod knock, so i got another one for free that i had been told ran great when removed, so i swapped it in, and it runs, but has some top end rattles, and kinda pops through the carb intermittently, so i suspect that a valve isn't opening when it it's supposed to. it kinda misfires and runs like crap once the motor gets warm, too, and hasn't got much power.
the guy lives in woodbury, and i'm going to take it to him around the end of the month to rebuild it. he used to work at the amc jeep factory in toledo, ohio, and (supposedly) knows the full size jeeps inside and out.

Sounds like timing issues. The AMC 360 has major issues with the cam drive gear when new distributors are put in like HEI if the original gear isn't used or a matching cam/distributor gears aren't matched. Basically the cam gear metal AMC used is softer than what a new gears are. The teeth get chewed off and timing is impossible, misses and backfires with lack of power can be symptoms. Pull the distributor and shine a flash light down the hole to see if the cam gear is chewed up...

Check that out before thinking the hoove sounds you hear are zebra's and not horses. Just a thought..... :thumbup:

nice little XJ, it looks pathetic w/ no lift though, I think you need to crank some wedge into it.

yeah, bmanga, i actually just changed out the timing chain & gear set, and while i was in there i changed out the dizzy drive gears. it ran pretty good for a while, but i think i just have some oiling issues, and i have the go-ahead from the little lady to drop the coin on a motor rebuild, and i want to be able to drive it to moab next year, so i'm gonna jump on the opportunity before she has a chance to change her mind.
as far as the lift, joshooha, it's gettin it soon, as well as a rear locker. i'm just about to get married in a little over a week, so i have some more pressing issues eating up all my time right now. in a couple weeks i'm iguana start collecting lift parts, and try to find some good (preferably used) tires. i might keep the stock rims, depending on what the tires come with.

Right on man. 360's can be a PITA!

ok, so i've rigged up a "cold air intake" from the sack of wet turds that was my intake on grandpa. in the pic under the hood, you can see the duct tape that held the hose coming off the throttle body to the strange doohicky that has that wierd ford exploder? airfilter on it... so, what i did was took an old filter cone that i still had from the days when i was trying to rig up a snorkel for the old cj, and a piece of scrap pvc that my landlord had, and a couple hose clamps to get something going that would actually keep crap out of my intake.prolly not too good for keepin water out, but i like to avoid deep water in jeeps with carpet anyway. it's nothing special, but i'll get some pics up eventually anyway. also, so far for my collection of lift parts, i have some 4.5" coils, and trailratethis has some s10 leafs for me, and i think jeepaddict85 still has a tracbar for me... still lookin for a cheapo set of lca's, but i think a guy on here is gonna hook me up for a decent price soon. oh yeah, i have a lockright on the way, too. i'm iguana put that in before i even have all the parts for my lift, and then once i get all the lift parts together, i'll be looking for tires, and maybe rims, too, if a deal pops up...

got grandpa some new shoes!! i got him a set of bfg a/t's in a 30x9.50x15. they fit ok, and look great! they did rub a bit with about 1000 lbs of wedding gifts in the back... i'll take a couple of pictures when i get some free time. prolly tomorrow night. i'm gonna change the oil and the trackbar tomorrow, cuz i'm gettin some rattles from the motor, and the oil pressure guage says 0, so i think some thicker oil is in order. as for the trackbar, there was some play in the steering, so when i was checkin it out, i found out what a trackbar with 280,000 miles on it looks like. no bueno.

Yeah pics or it didn't happen! ;) So you got home from your trip OK I see. :woohoo:

Picture001.jpg

Schweeet dude! I gotta say though and this is not a cut or me ragging on your rig cuz it looks good man! It's just an isim in my head....I've always liked FSJ woodies I guess I just expect them to have wood simulated siding......

The newer cars with it like a PT crusier are interesting! (hopefully that won't offend anyone) I came accross this one coming out of NAPA next to Wendy's one day and snapped a photo of it cuz my buddies FSJ is white like yours. It has the Moonie rims I had on one of my VW bug's which makes it even more interesting. Oh yeah and the lady was sort of hot! :)

ptwoody.jpg

Back