• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the Junk Yard

Pick and pull doesn't follow (which is fantastic!), but I've been to some privately owned places that A) won't let you out in the yard alone or b) they just pull the stuff for you and you just pick it up.

Yeah, all the yards I've dealt w/ around me are the "call ahead, tell them what you want and they pull it for you b/c of insurance liability" kind. I think the one I went to the other day let me do it myself b/c it was for lil crap that A) wasn't worth his time and B) not worth my money to pay him to pull it. I just walked in, no search, no $2, and then just paid at the counter on my way out. Some of you seem like you have some sweet yards around you - I'd love to be able to pay $2 and wander all day.

My local yard doesn't allow torches or jacks- safety I guess. I'm pretty sure the $1 covers the insurance they must have to pay for allowing anybody to roam the yard. I really don't like going by myself though, I've seen some creepy people wandering around. What gets me is people who come without any tools of their own and then ask to borrow something as basic as a screwdriver. WTF?

Haha, how old are you? Nothing to worry about. Maybe some people forget a scredriver, or just stripped it out.......

Unless "borrow a screwdriver" means something else.

Yes, the admission fee is for insurance...pay it, and sign the sign-in sheet legibly (if they have one). I dropped a transmission on my hand pulling it out by myself a couple years ago, and all the follow-up medical was paid for (nothing serious, luckily), but you gotta follow the rules.

Depending on your area, watch out for sharps (needles) under seats and whatnot....always wear gloves, and good thick soled boots.

And for gawd sakes, don't gorilla stuff apart to get to something you want. Take the time to unscrew/unbolt things and lay what you don't want aside (better yet, inside the vehicle). You may not want it, but someone else might. Be careful (don't drop a tranny on your hand:laugh3: ), have fun, and save a bunch of $$$....

Jeff

Blaine B. said:
Haha, how old are you? Nothing to worry about. Maybe some people forget a scredriver, or just stripped it out.......

No, more often than not, it's some lazy ass who didn't want to lug all his tools back, and figures he can just borrow what he needs from someone who did (at least down here in my 'yards that's the case). I have an old ammo can that I use as a 'yard toolbox, and keep it CLOSED and out of sight while I'm working. I only have out the tools I need at the time. Don't go in there and dump your whole box out in the wheelbarrow and start wrenching...it's like opening up a convenience store for everyone else, trust me.

Jeff

Blaine B. said:

I was referring to these "kids" or other people that just walk around without any real purpose- checking out rims and stuff like that. And they literally have NO tools of their own. I like to have a buddy with so when one of us is underneath a vehicle the other one can keep an eye on the tools and stuff we've already pulled. Plus it's more fun that way, we hit the junkyard in the morning and then grab a pizza for lunch, good times.

Yea but do you guys have yard cars at your local JY's?

At mine they have a fleet of crappy cars that you can use to go pick up parts that you are trying to pay for. The yard is about 5 acres so hauling a hood or tranny by yourself isn't very fun. Hence, YARD CARS!

Our local u-pull-it recently stopped self serve on motors and trannys. Some "gorillas" were rolling cars onto their sides to gain access to bolts underneath... Besides the fact that they were ruining a lot of good body parts, well you can imagine the danger involved here. So, engine and trans prices went up to cover their removal fee, but still worth it at $125.

We had an attempt by the chain "Pull-a-part" to open up a site a couple of miles from my home (woo-hoo!) but the community busy bodies and an old political windbag shot it down. The site is next to train tracks in a field of rubble that right now is used to park tractor-trailers. No homes for several streets around. Pullapart is a very clean operation, I went to their open house and checked their web site. They are environmentally friendly, fully cleared by local water and EPA depts., would have created some local jobs, and beautified the area. The "neighbors" are afraid people will come out of the yard and work on their cars on the streets. I don't know, but most guys I know wouldn't get into any project unless they were in the comforts of their own driveway or garage. I guess this whole neighborhood must be full of people who own brand new cars that never break down, and/or don't own a wrench. Sorry for the rant....

Your weapon of choice when hitting the yard, minimum length 2ft breaker bar! Yard runs are always good times and it is fun to just go for a walk sometimes too to admire what fuck ups some people are.

I always grab all the fuses and relays I can that fit my junk and throw them in the bottom of my yard bucket. I also grab really nice wire loom, and other misc., BS. Never had to pay for any of that, so I get my $2 back.

gone postal said:
lol. I just went to my first Pick-N-Pull last weekend. Not too many around here anymore. I brought a toolbox w/ screwdrivers, pipe-cutters, scissors, most common sizes of wrenches (metrix & standard) and also sockets w/ ratchets & finally my Mechanix gloves. Damn thing probably weighs 50lbs and it got old lugging it around, but it was a blast to look through the vehicles - adult version of a "kid-in-a-candystore". I also had that orange hand cleaner stuff and a towel in the car b/c my wife would kill me if I got grime, etc in the new car.

In the end, I got what I wanted for $25 and wasn't too dirty either. I did knock my knee pretty bad (on the side - hit the kneecap area - hurt like hell!!) on a crumpled up XJ fender, but it was all part of the experience...
HEY POSTAL sorry caps lock was on ... wheres the pick and pull yard at? i live near you in palm coast?

Fish'nCarz said:
I always grab all the fuses and relays I can that fit my junk and throw them in the bottom of my yard bucket. I also grab really nice wire loom, and other misc., BS. Never had to pay for any of that, so I get my $2 back.

Isn't that stealing?

Back