• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me 96 XJ, needs a butt lift...

Pchitti

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a 96 Country a couple weeks ago. Ive always had cars, little little cars... Need some guidance so I dont waste my meager budget on shipping wrong parts.

Not looking to do a lift, will be using for winter driving, hunting (minimal maintenance roads), and some trailer dragging.
Trying to find a parts list or help figuring out what I need to purchase.
Shocks are still good ATM, will look at replacing those down the road.

Also, the front bumper mount is rusted through. The drivers side mount has completely broken at this point. As much as I love the look of bailing wire, I would like it back to normal. Will I be able to replace the mounts, or is this going to be more of a weld it to the frame?

Thanks in advanced guys.

Patrick

If you just want the ass end up a bit higher on a budget you could look into an add a leaf kit or a lift shackle kit. If the leafs are worn out to the point where they need to be replaced i'd just replace them. But if just sagging a bit look into either of those options.

I got my add a leaf kit from pro comp for $35 and it can be installed in a couple hours or less.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...le.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=5488&t_pn=EXP13120

As for your front bumper are you talking about these? If so they i'd just order a new set instead of welding it to the unibody. One day you'll need to pull it to do some work or maybe want to put an aftermarket bumper on and wish you had never welded it.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...F-8#q=96+jeep+xj+front+bumper+mounts&tbm=shop

Hope this helps.

They arent toast, just sagging a bit and causing some hwy stability issues. For the price I think I will go ahead and try those, worst case I use that for a while and then buy a new set of leafs down the road.

My main question is still about hardware or any other parts I might need to replace. Shackles, u-bolts, bushings stuff like that.

Will be fixing the bumper this week, hoping not to have to drill out all the bolts. lol

I got 2" of lift by replacing my sagging leafs with a set of Rock auto "stock" replacement leafs, shackles and all new hardware involved. Worked out real nice now I have to raise the front to make it even.

Just my experience but a short add a leaf seems to actually accelerate the sag over time. A full length add a leaf seems to last longer. I pound my 88 pretty hard on dirt roads, my first attempt with a short add a leaf helped in the beginning, but seemed to accelerate the bend at the ends of the springs and it started to sag again fast. It seemed to me the more sag it had the harsher the ride got, more a hunch than than anything else, but it seemed so.

I actually made my own long leaf from a set of junkyard XJ springs. I already had a set of new U-bolts and center pins. About as cheap as you are gonna get. :) I did disassemble my spring pack, power wire brushed them, added a coat of graphite paint and new spring clamps.

I added a pair of Monroe max air shocks in the rear later. I haul a 3/4 ton trailer full of firewood occasionally. I found a *little* air in the rear shocks, on an empty non towing vehicle actually improved the ride.

I'm going to do the same on my 96 pretty soon.

Thanks for the info guys, still dont have any idea as to parts I will likely have to replace with the leafs.

My old U bolts were pretty corroded and I decided it would be easier to cut the old ones off than to try save them, the center pin was too short (maybe).

Here is a video, www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclH-lo0ZZo

I did mine without pulling the the top spring shackle or front spring mounting bolts. My spring and shackle bushings were only a couple of years old when I did my add a leaf and decided to leave them alone. A couple of HD jack stands under the frame and a floor jack under the rear axle. Not nearly as easy as the video makes it look, but really not to difficult.

Getting the shackle and front spring mounting bolts out of there can turn into a nightmare on occasion, sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone. Just an opinion, but helping buddies with their lift kits has made me detest those spring bolts, about half the time they turn into an ordeal.

Thanks 8Mud, will be doing it at a shop so hopefully will be able to work through any issues pretty easy. Trying to find a couple used leaf packs in the area, hoping I can find someone who upgraded.

Found a couple leaf packs with shackles local and CHEAP! Any way I can get an idea of wear? Kinda wanting to slap these packs in and hope they are in better shape.

Back