• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Speakers SUCK.

I got these alpines
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls...70A&p_category=80&p_subcategory=104&p_main=10
(sps-170a) off of ebay for about $60 shipped. They fit good, and sounded good too. I had some sony xplode speakers(5 1/4, $50) that i got at walmart a couple months before. They only thing that sounded better about the alpines was the bass, which was much better. I have the sony's in the back now and am running it with a pioneer 2300 deck. I was worried about needing an amp to power the 6.25" but I dont hear any distortion. All in all, it sounds MUCH better than the stock( I just got to figure out how to stop that rattling in my drivers side door :)

I put a pair of Sony Xplod's in the rear hatch. Don't particularly like them. All around poor sound quality.
I just put a pair of Boston Acoustics in the front doors, a couple of weeks ago. They sound fantastic. They do well with everything from Days of the New (acoustic) to Mudvayne (harsh). I may just make the Xplod's live up to their name and replace them with the Bostons, too. I've never been happier with a speaker.

you definitely get what you pay for in this situation. i think you're making the right decision by returning them now and saving. give it some time with the OEM speakers and save for some MbQuartz or Boston Acoustics...you will never need another speaker in your jeep. infinity, polk, jbl, alpine, etc. are all good speakers, but are no comparison to MBQ and bostons. IMHO. and there are always deals to be had on lasts years models....wait for the right timing. good luck.

Focal makes some kick A** speakers, I went from pioneer, to Bostons...to Focals and im not going back.

BTW, i run Focal Polykevlar 5.25s in the front and Boston in the rear of the '88. 4 channel alpine amp(75x4) with the crossover @ 115Hz high pass and the bass is tight.

The foam inserts that protect the backsides of the speakers are a good idea. They also make it sound more precise.

good luck

5-90 said:
Sony Xplod or Jensen poly-cones - I used both (88 and 89 XJ) and just love them. Can usually be found on sale as well - save yerself 20-30% or so... My entire system cost me about $250, and sounds great to me (test w/Metallica, Santana, and some good old Joe Walsh chunky guitar work!)

5-90

Yes, but how does it handle Digital Underground's Humpty Dance?
"Let me hear a little of that base groove"....

[sounds like] Derrrrr....er Derrrrrrrrr-er [/sounds like]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey, that's what it has to handle in my ride. I'm "old school" :)

Last edited:
Atl XJ said:
One thing that you are going to run into on aftermarket speakers vs the factory ones is the factory speakers will go lower. Aftermarket speaker, depending on the brand, sound much better than the originals, but are not designed to produce the low frequencies the aftermarket ones do.

WELL SAID!!!!

I run eclipse speakers and sub and it all works pretty good, the stock speakers that come with the 97+ XJ's do perform pretty well as they were designed to work in the crappy inclosures that come with your Jeep. No matter what you buy for 5 1/4" speakers they aren't going to blow you away in amazement, if you go with a really high quality speaker it may produce a clearer sound but is not going to be a huge dramatic improvement. The only way to significantly improve the overall sound in an XJ would be to modify the speaker openings and install a component system because remember even the best speakers are still going to sound like ass when they are only 5 1/4" and mounted down by your feet.

personally its all POLK for me!

Got nothing but Polk in my XJ and my house!

Well here by cent I have a 91 mj with I think 5 something and 6x9 in the rear with two mtx 10's sorry to hear about yours FitchVA

Back