• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Pics of My first JEEP PROJECT

Dang busted a bearing trying to remove the pinion seal. I had to use a punch and hammer to get the seal out and that meant hitting the old bearing. Was hoping to use it for setting up new ones. Wont be able to now.

View attachment 3659

Question. Dana 44 axle seals are just o rings? Or is it a well formed rtv seal. Feels rubbery like RTV.

View attachment 3660

As u can see it is pinched a lil at the top.

The rear d44 seals at the ends so that the bearings at the end of the axle shafts get lube. That pic looks like a common d44 at the pig to me.

mac 'go low' gyvr

3691e0e8.jpg

96f53fc9.jpg

here's a d60 front (top) and sterling (bottom) that my buddy just did for a guy.

Its hard for me to see your pattern in your pic. We usually paint a few more of the teeth.

mac 'crappy iphone pics' gyvr

second pic makes me agree with you but I am a gear setup retard so take that as you will.

Had some major issues when I installed the new bearings and races. My carrier preload shot through the roof. So much that i could not beat it out. Spent 4 hours sunday working on it and it would not budge.

Being the crafty redneck engineer that i am (anybody who has seen my trackbar write up knows what i am talking about). I broke out the scissor jack again and went to town.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344553703.891128.jpg

Can ya believe it actually worked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344553729.662624.jpg

So i tried again with the stock races only to have the same problem.

So one or two things will happen. First the ring side bearing looks lime it may not be pressed fully. Gonna try and press it with a real press instead of the baking and freezing.

If dat dont work. I will remove both bearings and split shims till i have removed about .002 out of each side and hope like hell that doesnt throw everything off.

If some one has got some better idears i am all ears.

Woo hoo well i got the carrier back in and everything is lined back up how it was b4.

Word of advice. Baking bearings and freezing the carrier will allow you to mate the two easily but it also may not be enough pressure to fully seat the bearing.

I pressed the ring gear side some more heard a lil pop and presto. What a difference a few thousand pound makes.

Good job! You've got more skills than I'd begin to think about. I'd never attempt that in my garage! Way to Go!

Hell Yeah, Rob! Its coming along nicely!

The Waggy looks great and Kudos for setting up your own gears!

Looks like i am still about 300-350$ away from being totally ready to wheel. Horrible shackle angle. Gonna but some HD offroad engineering shackle relocation brackets. Then i have a rusty's tcase drop xmember now the stock tcase skid dont work. So i will pick up a rusty's skid. Then finally an alignment.

Just wheeled the newly built waggy on some local lands. I knew the guy dont worry. Anyway she is awesome. OMFG. My truck can do anything now lol. I love lockers. Did so much i could not do b4. We are gonna go out there again this weekend. Cant wait. Love it.

Rough country is great. Spartan is awesome so are 4.56 gears love them.

The lift felt so tight and rough once i wheeled it those everything seem to settle in better and is riding like a champ now.

Didnt bring phone will take pics next week.

Back