• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New image-maker 4wd magazine

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I normally don’t read Pirate 4x4 CrapChat but I had a friend send me this link.
Has anyone here seen this on the newsstands?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001459

Now, normally, I am reluctant to jump on the ‘pull all wheeling pictures. The greenies are coming!’ bandwagon but when you have a publication post stuff like this Dirt King Magazine did I think it’s stupid irresponsible. And then the arrogant attitude from the editors is just ridiculous.
I have a couple of magazine ‘scripts waiting to be renewed but I’m thinking I’m just going to let them go. 1) I’m not interested in supporting the people that spew this kind of image. This includes 4wheeler mag. Thank David Hamilton for that.
2) Magazines are so 20th century. The intardnet is better!
I’m actually surprised I haven’t seen anything pop up over here regarding this since we are a club that is geared toward land use issues and the results.

I now refuse to support ANY SI publication now or in the future. They have caused our reputation as a group irreparable harm by appearing to legitimize this kind of behavior.

If you read further down in the thread someone posted a first hand account of the people responsible for the Dirt Kings publication acting in pretty much the way their cover indicates, as well. At least one of them got a bloody mouth for bad behavior at least.

:flamemad:

Interesting situation, I wouldn't jump on the hatred band wagon until I saw their responses. This one in particular
Dirt Kings Magazine said:
What decision is there to defend? We made a humorous magazine--it's as simple as that. Quick tip: any publicity you give this can only hurt your cause, if your cause is to hurt us.

They didn't apologize until AFTER their advertisers started responding. Before that it was all arrogant statements like the one above.

Quick tip A-hole: your magazine looks like crap and isn't worth my money ..!..

more info here
http://www.allcrawl.com/read.php?2,544

Last edited:
I agree on the 'not so fast to be hatin' but the latter responses from actual writers and editors are anything but apologetic.

Maybe this will change as the sponsors turn up the heat.

I've been toying with letting my subs go dead anyway. It's always the same thing over and over. What tires are the best what lift works and it's all sponsor driven anyway.

This just helped me decide . :nono:

I now refuse to support ANY SI publication now or in the future. They have caused our reputation as a group irreparable harm by appearing to legitimize this kind of behavior.

If you read further down in the thread someone posted a first hand account of the people responsible for the Dirt Kings publication acting in pretty much the way their cover indicates, as well. At least one of them got a bloody mouth for bad behavior at least.

:flamemad:
X2!

I don't have access. To the cover. Id like to see it.

Reguardless, their actions were uncalled for. I've never understood why editors think they can write demeaning things about people in their mags and its ok.

103637.attach

That's gotta be it. How do they think that doesn't give us a bad name? I get so tired of people talking about me "destroying" things simple because I have mud on my tires.

That's gotta be it. How do they think that doesn't give us a bad name? I get so tired of people talking about me "destroying" things simple because I have mud on my tires.

I don't look at that picture and think, "OMG! They are running over white women!".

Honestly I think the whole tarded magazine concept gives us a bad name more than just the cover.

Their responses however are crap.

At one point I subscribed to Jp, Four Wheeler and Peterson's all. The last one for more than a decade. I went from eagerly awaiting every month's issue to getting around to reading it at some point to giving them to friends without cracking the cover.

The issues were always the same
1.Editorial about responsible wheeling
2.Letters from people pointing out irresponsible stuff in past issues
3.The Editors smartass replies or "Oops" cop out
4.Pics of people doing irresponsible stuff
5.Test (tires, winches, etc) with no clear winner
6.Feature of some product singing it's merits
7.Multiple pages of ads paid for by the above product's company
8.Feature on High price build where they drop the rig off at their current favorite shop to receive $5K in axles and $5K in lift and $5K in paint, etc, etc
9.Feature on "Low buck build that anyone can do in their driveway" where they can drop the rig off at their favorite shop for $5K in axles and $4K in lift......
10.Promises of more "budget" builds

I understand that the ads pay the bills, but at least balance it out a little. I can deal as long as you don't fill the rest of the mag with crap like "Near stock Suzuki Grand Vitara v. built Samurai, which one is better offroad" or " 4wheeler of the year, even though it broke and wouldn't move during the tests, but the company brought us another one, so it is clearly better than the others".

Sorry about that, I had forgotten where I left my soap box and I had to make sure it still worked. Carry on.

Last edited:
i recently saw a naxja members avatar (darky; this is nothing personal as im about to elaborate on). he's got an avatar of him crawling, and someone sitting on his hood...

IT LOOKS TO ME, LIKE HE HIT THE GUY! OH NOES! thats a bad image.... and the sierra club will obviously send it out to all their members via email....

i fully expect naxja to change his avatar for him, and swift punishment for scarring out great and moral website, since its such a SCAR to the offroad community.....

theres gotta be a point, where we say XXXX them if they dont like it. if your gonna nitpick the legallity and morality of every jeep/offroad picture posted online, why dont you just go work for sierra club/etc? your doing their work for them.

obviously im being sarcastic darky, just noticed your icon.

im an american, we have this thing called freedom of speech, if they want to be stupid flatbiller yo bro's who put prerunners running over picnic tables on the cover OF THEIR MAGAZINE, --which i doubt anyone here subscribes too...-- that seems like freedom of speech to me.....

Second time in a month I agree with XCM. The world is surly going to end in a year.

At least I kind of do. I feel it was irresponsible but I have a feeling the more responsible of our breed will make up for it.

Sure they can post whatever they want but already they are taking a hit from negative press and advertisers who will pull their support.

This isn't a freedom of speech issue. Freedom of speech has nothing to do with private citizens saying, "I don't like this and it shouldn't be published." Freedom of speech has to with the gov't making no law to amend our freedom of speech. Even this has been "interpreted" by the Supreme Court as they have deemed speech that may result in an immediate danger to be illegal, hence why you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, say bomb or hijack in an airport or in the same sentence with the president's name, or say things that may or will incite a riot. What the problem is here is that this puts forth an "official" portrayal of what wheelers are all about, and it's not a good one. It portrays us as dangerous, reckless, irresponsible, etc etc. At a time when our hobby (and the livelihood of many) is threatened on a near daily basis, we don't need any negative portrayals in the media, especially not in our media. Too many people have worked too long and too hard to see one of our own put out such a negative view of our sport. And then for the idiot responses by the people responsible for the magazine....disappointing to say the least.

wow! I have a subscription to JP and I will tell you that iBarsky has just defined every issue that I have ever seen. In 10 lines to.

I think Darky summed it up perfectly.

I'm all for the freedom of speach and no matter what you do, someone is going to make things look bad if they want to but there's a certain point that people should just use their head.

This stupid rag gives 'kids' that think that's cool validation and it says to the uninformed that this must be what all the greenies are talking about.

Maybe you think it's just a stupid joke and you wouldn't do that anyway but if you are in any way active with land use issues, not just TALKING about it you would see how image is a major roll in our loosing land every year.

Back