• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new here

mud_runner

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I AM NEW HERE AND JUST GOT MY FIRST XJ. its a 95 2 door with the I6 in it not sure on the rest of it. traded my 91 yj for it. any way it is bone stock right now looking at putting on the rc 4.5 lift and running 33s for not as i belive it has d35 under the rear. any body got any thaing laying around the house that could help me.. send me a pm. my last jeep was a 91 yj with a s.o.a. kit 35s and 4:56 and locked in the rear well untill later have a good day

jason

do you have abs on that rig? any factory skids? welcome aboard! abs = d35

auctally i went and looked at it a lil bit ago and it has a d35 which sucks. i am hopeing that some one around here has some things that i can use maybe an 8.25 if they have upgraded or a d44 that they dont want... hey i can wish....

You should come to the crawl and meet some of the SE folks!

check the for sales. i found an awesome wheel deal from a dude in clarksville back in may, but i also stalked the for sale boards and ebay for months, 430 for 31bfg at mounted on d window steelies.

mud_runner said:
any bod know about the amc 20....

i know i would Not waste the time to do a swap for a amc20

- look for a dana-44 from a ~87-88 Xj wagoneer/pioneer trim
(its a direct swap)
+plus the conversion to rear disc brakes from either a Grand-cherokee of liberty parts is relatively simple (and the added benifit of more braking power with larger tires would be a good idea)

an amc20 from a cj is spring under (relocate spring perches)
amc20 is 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern (conversion to 4.5 would be a parts swapping nightmare)
an amc20 has $hitty 2-piece axle shafts that reportedly break more than d35 shafts
an amc20 wouldn't be any stronger than your d-35- imho..

other than a "low" pinion a Ford 9" would be a much better swap, just be sure to find one from a 1/2ton pickup/bronco ~1970s-80, (these have 31 spline axles)
-BUt then the bolt pattern would still be an issue to convert to 5 on 4.5"
(9"fords have 5 on 5.5")
-but you could do the conversion relatively easily by drilling new wheel stud holes in the axle flanges and then converting the rear to disc brakes (a search will find ya multitudes of conversion writeups)

i sold my '99 (85kmile) 29 spline chry8.25 complete axle for $100 when i did my 4.88 gear d44 disc brake swapperoo, i choose to ditch the 8.25 for the d44 because of the aftermarket parts support for the 8.25 suckd, such as lockers & gearing options But that may've gotten better in the last few yrs- i'm not sure i've not researched it lately..

if you opt for a chry-8.25 axle choose one from a 97+ xj--
the older ones had 27 spline axle shafts and wouldn't be much if any improvement over the d35 you have now..

the amc 20 i have came out of a waggy or i was told it did. it si supposed to have a solid axel. however i have not tore it a part to check it is still at the shop. and after getting the xj up on the rack it does have the 8.25 when i got i had already new that i was getting new axles planned on going with a dana 44 so i just took a quick glace at the rear axle to check what it was ans as you know tere is jus tbarley a differace between the d35 and the 8.25 .... i also got a d44 for the front that has lockout hubs. maybe that will help.

yeah the cover on the 8.25 and d35 do look similar..
-the lower housing on an 8.25 has a flat horizontal plane whereas the d35 is rounded on the bottom,, and if you look Really close there is a small chrysler symbol cast into the lower side of the housing of the pinion..

not sure of the difference if any between the axle shafts in an amc20 from a waggy or cj, but most ppl with the amc20 from cjs swapped in 1 piece shafts for the 2 piece ones are prone to breakage.
if you're indeed planning to swap in axles from a fullsize waggy you really need to seek out advice from ppl who know those trucks,

TRY: www.ifsja.org
-i've used that site some and the ppl there are very helpful (like here)
i'm sure the info you're looking for can be found there, try a search then post and ask specific questions..

mud_runner said:
i also got a d44 for the front that has lockout hubs. maybe that will help.

what vehicle did the d44 come out of??

Believe it or not, but I have actually seen a factory installed AMC 20 in an MJ before. It even had 1 piece shafts and the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Weird!

The FSJ AMC 20 also uses 1 piece shafts. From what I know, the FSJ AMC 20 is much stronger than a CJ 20. The tubes are thicker to support the weight of a FSJ, so there's a plus. I can't remember right off hand the actual size, but I do remember that the R&P are huge! It would be plenty strong under an XJ, but if it were me, I would go for a Dana 44 if you're set on Waggy axles. There is loads more aftermarket support for them!

Last edited:
Back