• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New door pocket option....tell me what you think =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you're still looking for input, but I thought I'd throw this out there. I think the popular opinion is that the rounded ends are more visually appealing. However, you've also said they are difficult to mass produce. Difficult usually equals more $$. How much of a price difference would there be between either model. That might tip the balance to one or the other. This is a great idea, years ago I thought about putting some generic plastic door pockets I found at a local auto store on my doors, but they were really small and wouldn't be good for much else than a couple maps and some change. These look a lot more useful, plus the cupholder would probably be a lot more useful than that thing I've got stuck over my parking brake. Keep us informed!!!

Hey guys, time for a little thread resurrection. I was finally able to find a local manufacturing company to produce the door pockets after another dragged me out for several months just to tell me they didnt have the capability.

The final product is going to have Rounded ends with cup holder big enough for a 20 oz. and keyhole slots for ease of installation. I need some opinions on one last detail and thats the holes in the front of the pocket. The current drawing I have from the manufacturing engineer shows an array of 3x8 1" holes. Im thinking of having him do a little bit bigger hole but an array of say 2x8 so its not as busy looking. I will probably offer the plain solid front and one with holes, so the question now is which hole array pattern would you all prefer? Is 3x8 too busy? Ill start a new thread once I get one of the finished products. Once again, Im sorry this has taken so long to get to this point.
Door%20Pocket%20Holes.bmp

staggered with odd number of holes, more appealing to the eye

The holes look a little busy to me. Not to mention that's a lot of places to get map corners and other pointed items snagged as you're sliding them into the pocket.

Also, I really don't see the point in the keyhole slots. If there's going to be a nut and washer on the backside of the door panel, you're going to need to pull the lower half of the door panel away from the door to access them anyways. I think it would make more sense to use small hex head bolts to snug the pockets up against the door panel. They cold be easily accessed with a small open end wrench so you wouldn't have to worry about using a screwdriver in the first place. Without the pocket in place, how would you tighten the machine screws without pulling them through the plastic anyways? I must be missing something... The keyholes are just asking for a sloppy install IMHO.

There was a few people who said they would prefer to not have to take the door panel off. Youd be able to install it by starting hex head screws into the door and then slipping the door pocket over them, then using a small wrench to tighten them down. I guess the majority of those here wouldnt have any issues pulling the panel off. Thats the way Id recommend doing it. Maybe Ill do no keyhole for the first prodution run and if there is enough demand after that for keyhole, possibly add it to the options later on. I agree with you on potential sloppy install FY, thanks for your input. Keep it comin.

So fy,,, are you saying youd prefer the pocket with no holes?

I would prefer with no holes (less corner snagging like fyrfytr1717's said), round with cup holder and no keyholes. It's not hard to remove the door panel and it would keep the look cleaner. I'd also be down for an unfinished version for <$75 is possible.

10-4, I think ill go ahead and do no holes and no keyholes for now. If theres proves to be the demand for a more custom look with an array of holes, I can work on that. Im on my way to meet with the engineer again.

There was a few people who said they would prefer to not have to take the door panel off. Youd be able to install it by starting hex head screws into the door and then slipping the door pocket over them, then using a small wrench to tighten them down.

Hold up a minute, this sounds like they'd only be threaded into the plastic door panel with no backing washer/nut. That sounds as prone to failure as the double stick tape idea mentioned above. I figured that was probably the only way to do the install without removing the door panel, just doesn't seem like it would be too secure.

I really don't think you'd even have to remove the door panel to bolt these on. Just pop the push fasteners out on the bottom half of the door and pull the panel out just enough to fit your hand back there. Should be plenty of flex in the panel even with the armrest still bolted in place. Easy peasy, or maybe I've just repaired my front window regulators way too many times.

So fy,,, are you saying youd prefer the pocket with no holes?

Rounded corners, cup holder, no holes. Maybe some narrow horizontal slits would look nice if you really wanted to pretty them up, but 1" holes just seem too big.

BTW, will these pockets interfere with my power seat controls. Seems pretty tight between them and the door panel.

I do hate removing the door panels. Seems like every time a chrismas tree fastener breaks. I'll should gather a bunch at the local pick and pull. The trouble is they only seem to have lower end Sport's. My 95 Country has the extra top plastic piece with the fake woodgrain that the older sport models do not. Different style christmas tree fasteners for the BS top plastic piece. Bah!

Or actually you know what, I should just screw the door panels into the doors. Kind of like how I eliminated all of the christmas tree fasteners in the tailgate cover.

Yeah FY I completely agree. The screws and double sided tape were just an "easy" idea for those who were intimidated by the removal of the panels. Peeling the panel back enough to get the machine screws installed really should work.

I wouldnt mind seein a sketch of what you are thinking about the horizantal slits, I could see if that could be an option as well. Id have to have demand for it though as I have to order at least 30 of a single type.

As far as the interference with power seats,, Im not sure. It is quite possible. I dont know anyone with power seats so it will be hard to check. If someone wanted to buy a set to see if they work with the controls, Id obviously be more than willing to return their money if they interfere.

I've got the power buckets out of a Limited ZJ on my manual sliders, and there's about 2.5" between the door panel and the switches on the seat.

Thank you. That may be tight. I might have to do a smaller version later down the road to get them to work with power seats. I could just drill holes to all you the access to the controls from inside the pocket. =)

I think he's talking about the slits like what's on the door panel behind the pockets you made. That might be cool...

Or maybe make them not slits, but just lines that are etched into the pockets and have them not go all the way through. That could pretty them up some, but to keep costs down I would be in for unfinished plain round ones with the bottle holder.

If you can come up with a ballpark price, you could take pre-orders. Like I said earlier I would go for them for around $50-75.

I think he's talking about the slits like what's on the door panel behind the pockets you made. That might be cool...

More or less, yeah. Now that I think about it though, if the slits were too long it could make for a floppy pocket.

So, anymore news on this? I like the idea and would be interested in the rounded style with drink holder. Any ideas on pricing yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back